Run server-side rules without logging in to webmail?

appyface

Good Morning,

Am a longtime SpamCop Mail system customer, using IMAP exclusively and very rarely login to the webmail interface. So I had asked this question of Jeff T. in the very beginning:

Would it be possible to have server-side rules that run on incoming mail without having to login to the webmail interface to cause them to run?

At the time Jeff was concerned with the continual load on the servers to do this, and declined my request :-)

So I would like to 'reopen' this feature request but with an improved efficiency consideration: If webmail rules exist, could an IMAP client login trigger them? Just the same as logging in directly to the webmail system can run them (according to webmail preferences)?

POP users (who are probably the majority of SpamCop users?) would not trigger the rule execution in that case. The feature would be limited to Webmail users (which already have the feature) and IMAP client users.

The additional load on the servers would be the running of the webmail rules as triggered by the IMAP client login. Which I would argue already happens after a fashion, as I spend some time moving mail around manually from within my IMAP clients. (Or I login to webmail and run them that way.) So in the end it might even be a complete wash? And more convenient for IMAP users.

If there is another place I should post my request for feature please point me? I did search this forum but apparently missed it if so.

Thanks and regards,

--appyface

...If there is another place I should post my request for feature please point me? I did search this forum but apparently missed it if so. ...
This is the right place, sure enough, covers 'both sides of the house' to use Wazoo's term. No way to tell, given a general lack of feedback, how often it gets looked at by either side of the house - well, more evidence, to be fair, from the mail-JT side. Let's see what comment/support your suggestion generates before maybe taking it to JT more directly. You can always do that yourself of course but it's good of you to post it here for scrutiny and (who knows?) some supporting comment, other considerations that might emerge. Unfortunately I don't know enough to contribute myself ... the story of my life :D

If webmail rules exist, could an IMAP client login trigger them? Just the same as logging in directly to the webmail system can run them (according to webmail preferences)?

I don't think it is physically possible for one IMAP client to activate the filters of another IMAP client.

Since I enabled greylisting (not a client rule), I rarely log into webmail any more... so few spams get by, they are easily handled manually.

The other option is to create the same rules on the IMAP client you are using instead of the webmail IMAP client.

Archived