This is a scam

PamelaDelafield

I am an American living in Mexico. I just installed a new Banda 3G cellular card so that I can get internet on a computer that has not had internet service in 6 months. A few minutes ago, I tried to register on a web site based in Texas and was denied by Spamcops and it accused of spamming. Graciously, Spamcop states it will release me from this accusation in a few hours, but how dare these nitwits accuse me of spamming when I have never spammed anyone in my life. If users of TelCel and its Banda service have spammed, what does that have to do with me?

This puts users of this rip off service at risk of lawsuits for making false accusations against people. Or, is the idea to block people so they will have to come to this site and if they are really retarded, they will think, "Boy, what a great idea. I think I will join these a**holes."

I will be emailing the FTC, FCC, Homeland Security, ACLU and whoever else comes to mind to put a stop to intentional false accusations made this company in order to promote its questionable business.

You would think Americans would wise up to con artists like this company but no, there really are suckers born every minute.

I am an American living in Mexico.

You apparently still know a little bit of English, so not sure why you didn't bother to take a look around before Registering here, after Registering here, before posting, on and on and on ....

I just installed a new Banda 3G cellular card so that I can get internet on a computer that has not had internet service in 6 months. A few minutes ago, I tried to register on a web site based in Texas and was denied by Spamcops and it accused of spamming.

I have no idea how SpamCop.net could possibly interfere with "Registering on a web-site" .... funny that you Registered into this Forum without a problem ...????

Graciously, Spamcop states it will release me from this accusation in a few hours, but how dare these nitwits accuse me of spamming when I have never spammed anyone in my life. If users of TelCel and its Banda service have spammed, what does that have to do with me?

As described in numerous FAQs, Wiki entries, previous Posts, Topics, and Discussions over in the SpamCop BlockList Help Forum section (to which this will be moved with this post) .... I suggest you re-read some of the data you seem to have stumbled across. SpamCop.net has absolutely no idea who "you" might be .... the SpamCopDNSBL only deals with IP Addresses that have been reported as sending spam or have sent spam directly to various spamtraps. This has "to do with you" because you are apparently trying to use something to send your outgoing e-mail that ends up being one of those IP Addresses that has been very, very bad.

Your lack of detail offered in your query doesn't allow anyone here to try to do some research to try to come up with the facts involved. Please note the numerous How to ask a Good Question links, pointers and suggestions ... never mind all the previous Discussions to be found over in the 'correct' Forum section.

This puts users of this rip off service at risk of lawsuits for making false accusations against people. Or, is the idea to block people so they will have to come to this site and if they are really retarded, they will think, "Boy, what a great idea. I think I will join these a**holes."

and to think, I've been busting my ass for the last three days to get this Forum back up to running correctly, and this is the first 'user' post that I get to deal with. (you are certainly welcome!) Damn good thing that I'm only a volunteer here or someone would take shots at my lack of "customer care"

I will be emailing the FTC, FCC, Homeland Security, ACLU and whoever else comes to mind to put a stop to intentional false accusations made this company in order to promote its questionable business.

You would think Americans would wise up to con artists like this company but no, there really are suckers born every minute.

Yes, you certainly have me wanting to jump over hill and dale to try to help you out. You would think that computer users would learn how to actually use their computers before they jump off the deep end and make themselves look like total idiots.

The only data provided (and apparently not intentionaly) is the posting IP Address, which as it turns out is in fact listed in the SpamCopDNSBL. All kinds of problems.

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=200.95.162.52

200.95.162.52 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 19 hours.

Causes of listing

System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

Additional potential problems

DNS error: 200.95.162.52 has no reverse dns

Because of the above problems, express-delisting is not available

http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...g=200.95.162.52 ... WOW!!!! Look at all the pretty red colors! Listed in so many other BLS, and in close association to so many other IP Addresses that have been very, very bad.

Volume Statistics for this IP

Magnitude Vol Change vs. Last Month

Last day ...... 4.2 .. 617%

Last month .. 3.3

Looks like the typical infected computer (on the network or is this yours?) .... (or of course, did you draw the short stick on the DHCP assigned address?)

DNS-based blocklists

dnsbl.sorbs.net

bl.spamcop.net

cbl.abuseat.org

pbl.spamhaus.org

It looks to me like you have much more of a reason to jump all over your ISP (or perhaps ... based on the detail showing at SenderBase --> Date of first message seen from this address 2008-12-23 .... is it possible that it just may be your own system that's creating all the spew ... or naturally extending the issue, is the wireless modem/router/connection secured at all?????)

PM sent to suggest making another visit and taking another stab at 'asking for help' ....

Ms. Delafield,

You seem to be posting from a very ignorant point of view, in that SpamCop is doing *exactly* what it's designed to do and the fault is *entirely* at the provider you've chosen to use. The IP address from which you posted your diatribe is listed on a LOT of blacklists...here's a list:

ix.dnsbl.manitu.net

spamcop

xbl.spamhaus.org

dnsbl.sorbs.net

dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net

cbl.abuseat.org

dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net

mail-abuse.blacklist.jippg.org

psbl.surriel.com

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org

nixspam

wpbl

...and there are probably more. Given that horrible reputation of your IP space, you shouldn't bother trying to send any SMTP-based email whatsoever. What you should do instead is to utilize only webmail-based systems to send email messages. Many systems will probably choose NOT to accept any SMTP connections from your ISP. Take a look at all the "poor" listings of the IPs related to yours, here:

http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...g=200.95.162.52

Now, if you want any help here, lose the blustery, ridiculous attitude. If you're going to keep using that pathetic ISP, you're going to need our help. Second, spend a little time doing your homework (now that this system is working a bit better...it's been down for a while). Third, come back and post a much better explanation of what happened, because we shouldn't have to guess the details....your post is seriously defective.

DT

By all means, report to whomever you feel you have to. The words of the Duke of Wellington to Hariette Wilson come very much to mind here.

As for a**holes making false accusations, I agree with you wholeheartedly that this is a problem on the internet, and your post gives ample evidence in this regard.

If someday you should actually want to find out what SpamCop REALLY is and how it works (very probably to help YOU keep spam from YOUR inbox), then come back later without the cartooney attitude.

-- rick

You seem to be posting from a very ignorant point of view, in that SpamCop is doing *exactly* what it's designed to do and the fault is *entirely* at the provider you've chosen to use. The IP address from which you posted your diatribe is listed on a LOT of blacklists...here's a list:

Now, if you want any help here, lose the blustery, ridiculous attitude. If you're going to keep using that pathetic ISP, you're going to need our help. Second, spend a little time doing your homework (now that this system is working a bit better...it's been down for a while). Third, come back and post a much better explanation of what happened, because we shouldn't have to guess the details....your post is seriously defective.

You people send me two PMs saying I should come back to this forum and then I get to read this B.S.?

First, I don't care if the previous poster is a volunteer or paid. How is that my problem? Go tell his Mama.

I do not speak or read enough Spanish to discuss this problem with TelCel. There are an average of 20,000 of us English speaking Northerners in this area of Mexico and very few of us are passable Spanish speakers. This is the largest American retirement area outside of the U.S.

Obviously I use Hotmail because that is how you contacted me. I never us any ISP mail service and never have. This was not an email problem. I tried to register at a web site and was rejected supposedly because of the ISP. Who knows why? But it had nothing to do with email.

I was in the computer business since 1979, and knew most of the founders of the "micro," now known as PC computer business, so I bet I know more about it than most of you geeks. How many of you jerks knew the Woz, Jobs, or D.C. (Dennis) Hayes? I ran a company and trained many techs and I know a con when I see one.

O.K., I'll lose the attitude. How does F##K YOU MORONS work out for you?

...I was in the computer business since 1979, and knew most of the founders of the "micro," now known as PC computer business, so I bet I know more about it than most of you geeks. How many of you jerks knew the Woz, Jobs, or D.C. (Dennis) Hayes? I ran a company and trained many techs and I know a con when I see one.

Amazing, all that experience and now you turn your brain off? SpamCop blocks NOTHING (verifiable, guaranteed, how the heck could it?). Start from there and insult us some more, beats helping people with a clue.

Wazoo wrote: "You apparently still know a little bit of English, so not sure why you didn't bother to take a look around before Registering here, after Registering here, before posting, on and on and on ....

I have no idea how SpamCop.net could possibly interfere with "Registering on a web-site" .... funny that you Registered into this Forum without a problem ...????"

Know a little English? What an ignorant statement. Hard to tell your from Iowa. Do you know that over a million Americans live in Mexico? The weather where I am at Lake Chapala outside of Guadalajara, will be clear and 72 today, as it will be everyday. Sometimes it hits 85 around April and May, our summer, but usually we call this place Paradise. We don't need heat or air-conditioning. My electric is about $15 a month. What's yours and how's the weather there?

Yes, it is odd that I could register here but I was rejected at the other site because of Spamcops. Proves my point that this is a scam doesn't it?

DavidT wrote: "and there are probably more. Given that horrible reputation of your IP space, you shouldn't bother trying to send any SMTP-based email whatsoever. What you should do instead is to utilize only webmail-based systems to send email messages. Many systems will probably choose NOT to accept any SMTP connections from your ISP. Take a look at all the "poor" listings of the IPs related to yours, here:

Notice that my address was not in the list and my address showed activation on 12-23? I DO NOT USE ISP BASED EMAIL. I do not have an email account with this ISP.

On the North side of the lake, where most Gringos live, there are many internet options. On the South side where I am, I can use the Hughesnet satellite system I own which is more costly and slower or this TelCel 3G cellular internet which costs less, is faster, and I can use it anywhere in the country. I am not tied to my internet connection.

Since I do not have an email account with this provider, my address is not listed in the link you listed, and this address has only been active for a few days, so how did I get blocked? I think this proves that Spamcop wants to impress the people who sign up for it's services at the expense of innocent people. Scam as I wrote before.

Ms Delafield,

I'm sorry that the issue you raised has been misunderstood and thanks for clarifying that you problem is solely about registering with a website. Actually, that was clear in your original message but imagine how you would react if you were sitting at a bar with friends in the wonderful temperatures you describe and someone walked up to your table and started abusing you and your colleagues just because you happened to be discussing an issue the other person was angry about. You'd be upset and might not listen properly to what was being said.

Then imagine when folk tried to point you to a means of finding the answer to your question and then that person swore at you. The help you'd originally been inclined to offer would, at the very least, be even less helpful.

The SpamCop service is entirely and solely involved in identifying ISPs that are being used to distribute spam. It is evident that the company you've registered with for your internet connection is well documented for that.

For some reason, the website you tried to register with has decided not to allow users of that ISP to register on their site. They state that it is because of a SpamCop registration. Well, that is a very bizarre use of the SpamCop service but since it is their website I guess they can let in/keep out whomever they choose.

But since SpamCop makes no charge for the service it can hardly be a scam (noun - a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, esp. for making a quick profit; swindle). Instead of swearing at those of us who are users you need to take up the issue with the 'owners' of the website. Perhaps swearing at them would be more productive and would, at least, be insulting someone who has the possibility of being able to fix something for you. Of course you could also insult the SpamCop admins - their contact addresses are on the main SpamCop website but they cannot influence the providers of the website. Or you can try the legal process but I guarantee that will fail.

Meanwhile I'm going to pour myself a coffee and carry on my conversation with friends.

Andrew

People who have problems connecting and have been told that it is due to a spamcop listing are often angry, but it is always a good idea to not yell at the clerk (or in this case, other customers in the store) because the clerk (and especially the other customers) usually can do nothing about your problem.

As someone else pointed out, the only person who can effectively help you find out why you cannot register is the person who made the rule at the website where you tried to register. For all we know, s/he uses spamcop as a generic reason for all hir rules - including not allowing hotmail users to register.

The spamcop blocklist, which lists IP addresses that have sent spam in the last 24 hours, is one of many blocklists that server admins use to prevent spam from entering their network. It is not a difficult concept to understand, even for non-technically fluent people like me. If you plan on using the internet for entertainment during your retirement, I recommend doing some studying first on how to be a safe and responsible user.

If you realize that 'old dogs can learn new tricks', there is a wealth of information on these pages plus people who are willing to explain things to 'newbies' - I know because not only am I technically non-fluent as far as servers and email and websites go (even though I actually wrote a program in C++), but I am probably older than you are.

Miss Betsy

One other possiblity may be that the website is blocking registration to all IP addresses outside of the US (our sites do that) and the error message is incorrect. It would not be the first time a misconfigured error message blamed the SpamCop list for problems elsewhere.

You people send me two PMs saying I should come back to this forum and then I get to read this B.S.?

I sent one and suggested that you provide more data if what I worked up was wrong. You provided no additional data beyond that I can see that you are posting from the same IP Address.

I do not speak or read enough Spanish to discuss this problem with TelCel. There are an average of 20,000 of us English speaking Northerners in this area of Mexico and very few of us are passable Spanish speakers. This is the largest American retirement area outside of the U.S.

Yeah, that happens all around the world. Amazingly enough, this is where kids sometime come into play, between school and playing with other kids, they often can handle both languages.

Obviously I use Hotmail because that is how you contacted me.

No one but me knows that, and I told no one else. This application sent you notifications that someone sent you a PM.

I never us any ISP mail service and never have. This was not an email problem. I tried to register at a web site and was rejected supposedly because of the ISP. Who knows why? But it had nothing to do with email.

As I stated (I thought pretty explicitly) in my first response, in addition to all the FAQ and Wiki data data, above and beyond all the previously existing Discussions, that "your e-mail" had nothing to do with anything .. it is the IP Address that's at issue. Specifically, there is n one here that can talk about issues with your un-named web-site.

I was in the computer business since 1979, and knew most of the founders of the "micro," now known as PC computer business, so I bet I know more about it than most of you geeks. How many of you jerks knew the Woz, Jobs, or D.C. (Dennis) Hayes? I ran a company and trained many techs and I know a con when I see one.

I was around computers long before you. I'm thinking of the many names you didn't bother to bring up ... Vint Cerf, Gary Kildall, or did you just pick the 'famous' ones you could dredge up?

a "con" usually implies something of value changing hands. What's your 'trade' item in exchange for the free Parsing & Reporting system, the free SpamCopDNSBL, the free support venues in both NNTP and HTML, and the fellowship of folks working with the concept that they are not receiving spam from the IP Address you seem to be involved with?

Pretty much clarifies that there is no request for "help" in your posts, which then makes this whole exercise RANT fodder for the Lounge area. I suppose I should have gone with that initial feeling and moved your mis-placed starting post to that Forum section right then.

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=200.95.162.52

200.95.162.52 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 17 hours.

Not much improvement in these last few days, apparently spam spew is still happening.

Oh well. Off to the Lounge with you and your issues.

Know a little English? Hard to tell your from Iowa.

It's "you're from Iowa," a contraction of "you are" rather than "your from Iowa," the ignorant use of the possessive form that so many of the Gen-Xers misuse all the time, but you're a LOT older than them (about 61, yes? That's from another forum post made elsewhere 10 years ago by a "Pamela Delafield").

I'll confess....I'm the other one who sent you a personal message, but had no idea it would result in an email message sent to a Hotmail address, because our personal email addresses are all protected here. I sent you the message to inform you that this forum was once again fully functional so that you could come back and clarify the ridiculously incongruous premise of your post.

While a forum operator may choose to block participation based on your IP address, we (TINW) find it bizarre that they would do so based upon the inclusion of that IP address in a blocklist having to do not with geographic identification (as in rejecting participation from non-US IP space) but rather with spam activity emanating from the particular IP. Please identify the forum and we'd be happy to look into it for you, despite your (note the proper use of "your") foul attitude and foul mouth.

And just what kind of a "con" do you think is being run by SpamCop? That's almost laughable. Regular participants of this forum are all simply people who use SpamCop and understand what it does. We're the ones who can help people who are having problems, but only if the people actually are willing to be helped. If you're (see?) just here to rant and rave, that's pretty boring.

DT

Miss Betsy wrote: "If you plan on using the internet for entertainment during your retirement, I recommend doing some studying first on how to be a safe and responsible user.

If you realize that 'old dogs can learn new tricks', there is a wealth of information on these pages plus people who are willing to explain things to 'newbies' - "

How old do you think I am? Not everyone who is retired is over 65. True the Mexicans do call Ajijic "the waiting room" and that is why I do not live in Ajijic. It can be depressing with all those old Gringos using walkers.

I don't use the internet for entertainment. After a few decades of using a computer, selling them, working on them and running a computer company, I think I've learned most of the tricks.

Sorry DavidT about using "your" instead of "you're" because that is important. I guess at 4 am, I don't always pay that much attention. Unlike some on this forum who read my original post and still didn't understand what I posted. I'm sure they read it later in the day. Catching that mistake was incredibly important. Boy did you show me.

I do apologise for being so angry but I have never been blocked before and the reasons given for being blocked still seem weak. Notice that my ISP address has changed? Maybe Telcel is spying on these communications and changed ISPs.

Happy New Year and hopefully it will be a better year than predicted.

Sorry DavidT about using "your" instead of "you're" because that is important. I guess at 4 am, I don't always pay that much attention.

I was inspired to point that out because you seemed to be attacking Wazoo, our hard-working forum administrator.

Unlike some on this forum who read my original post and still didn't understand what I posted.

I don't think it's really a matter of anyone not understanding what you posted. Rather, your premise seems absurd, in that spam blocklists are generally used only to filter and/or block email transmissions, not forum participation. You've still not identified the forum or really given us enough real information in order to help you. You wrote that your registration attempt "was denied by Spamcops and it accused of spamming" but I'm not sure what you meant by that. Did you see some sort of error message on the website of the forum in Texas? Details are most helpful in troubleshooting issues like this.

I do apologise for being so angry but I have never been blocked before and the reasons given for being blocked still seem weak.

Yes, if someone was excluding you from participating in a forum because your connectivity provider is allowing a lot of spam to emanate from their IP space, I'd also call that a weak reason.

Notice that my ISP address has changed? Maybe Telcel is spying on these communications and changed ISPs.

I think you meant "IP address" and most of us here can't see your IP address. The idea that Telcel would be even remotely aware of this discussion is pretty unlikely. Most broadband IPs are dynamic, so it's not at all unusual for your IP to have changed.

Happy New Year and hopefully it will be a better year than predicted.

"Feliz año nuevo" to you, and let's hope that your wish for a better year comes true.

Peace,

DT

Thanks for coming back and for toning down the abuse. I am sure that you know a great deal about computers in general (many of us here are also 20+ year IT professionals), but perhaps you do not know as much about the spam problem specifically. A couple of things to bear in mind here:

1. SpamCop is hardly what you would call a "profit center." Most people can report their spam for free, and most people can use the blocking list for free. SpamCop does not charge for "express de-listing" as some blocklists have done (and still do). To call SpamCop a "scam," then, is rather inaccurate, because it is not defrauding anyone.
  2. When you post here, you are talking to SpamCop users and volunteer board admins. We can try to help you with problems you have with spam in general, or SpamCop in specific, but we cannot speak for SpamCop (SC admins do occasionally stop by).
  3. Because IP addresses are "recycled" via DHCP etc. (and even a static IP has been previously used by others) you can wind up being "tarred' by the actions of a previous user of the address. That's one of the reasons why SpamCop blocklist listings "age out" after 24 hours (something that doesn't always automatically happen with other blocklists). That's also why many people find it necessary to switch ISPs or upstream providers when their current providers prove impervious to spam complaints.
  4. Most spam today is sent via zombies (infected home computers belonging to third parties). So, just because someone tells me that spam came from my IP or even from my computer does not mean that they are accusing me of spamming. I do, however, have some responsibility to look into the problem and fix it if needed (by cleaning the proxy agent from my computer, policing the action of any users I have who share the address, etc.).
  5. SpamCop runs a blocking list (the SCBL) that lists IP addresses that have sent spam mail to SpamCop users (like us) and to "spamtrap" addresses (that have not been circulated or used, but have been harvested or "guessed" by spammers). Because the IP source of spam is easily identified, this is a completely factual and objective process. SpamCop has rules that users must follow in reporting their spam; these rules discourage users from vengefully reporting non-spam mail. You can read more about the SCBL at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/297.html.
  6. Although it is called (somewhat unfortunately) a blocking list, SCBL does not and cannot block anything. Mail services that want to do so can use the SCBL to decide whether or not incoming deliveries are spam. SpamCop is not responsible for what these services do with this information. It doesn't seem quite kosher to use SCBL info to block website registrations, but SpamCop had nothing to do with the blocking decision. Your beef is with the web service that blocked you, and your argument with them is that they may not be using the SCBL in the manner intended.

-- rick

How old do you think I am? Not everyone who is retired is over 65. True the Mexicans do call Ajijic "the waiting room" and that is why I do not live in Ajijic. It can be depressing with all those old Gringos using walkers.

No one here cares about your age. Recall, you are the one that decided that it/history was something "important" ...

I don't use the internet for entertainment. After a few decades of using a computer, selling them, working on them and running a computer company, I think I've learned most of the tricks.

Yet, if one goes with the 'famous' people you selected, add in that timeframe, mix in that you did not provide originally and have thus far continued to not provide additional data and specifics, it would appear that dealing with the Internet (or perhaps even networking PCs) was not part of your past experience.

Notice that my ISP address has changed? Maybe Telcel is spying on these communications and changed ISPs.

I predict that you are not going to be happy. The evidence is mounting that your system (be it the computer itself .... or there's still the possibility that there is some network gear, i.e. a wireless router involved, but that falls under data still not provided) is infected/compromised (or left wide open.) Please note that you are suggesting that DHCP is not part of your background experience.

http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=201.144.87.40

201.144.87.40 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in approximately 8 hours.

Causes of listing

* System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

* SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam less than 10 times in the past week

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

* DNS error: 201.144.87.40 is static.customer-201-144-87-40.uninet-ide.com.mx but static.customer-201-144-87-40.uninet-ide.com.mx has no DNS information

Listing History

System has been listed for 47 hours.

http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...g=201.144.87.40

Date of first message seen from this address 2008-12-30

Last day ......... 4.2.....724%

Last month ....... 3.2

Already also listed on several other BLs, in addition to the SpamCopDNSBL.

Two Reports seen thus far, noting that both of them from today .. again, this is spam someone received from the IP Address you are now using ...

Submitted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 2:24:19 PM -0600:

=?koi8-r?B?82XSycHM2SDOYSBEVkQgLSDkZdvF18zFIM7Jx8TFIM7FIM7BysSj1A==?= =?koi8-...

3760224057 ( 201.144.87.40 ) To: gccips[at]reduno.com.mx

---------------------------------------------

Submitted: Thursday, January 01, 2009 2:24:18 PM -0600:

=?koi8-r?B?8NJv0NXT1MnMySDMwMLJzdXAINNl0snAPw==?=

3760224329 ( 201.144.87.40 ) To: gccips[at]reduno.com.mx

BTW: Using the Reply button automatically includes "quoted' material (that needs to be edited down to that which is being replied to) .... I have been editing your posts so as to set off that which has been quoted and that which is your Reply ... This is also addressed within the Forum FAQ and an entry or two in the How to use ... the Forum section.

Two Reports seen thus far, noting that both of them from today .. again, this is spam someone received from the IP Address you are now using ...

It's looking as if her computer is spewing out spam...it's most likely infected and/or part of a bot net. Interesting that it says "static" in the alpha-numeric identity of the new IP, and those two IPs don't seem to belong to the same provider.

DT

People are still trying to guess what your problem is, but the original problem was that you were not permitted to register on a website. Unless you give more specific information, all you will get is guesses - maybe educated guesses since more than one person thinks it is possible there is an infected computer involved.

You are in the best position to contact the website and find out why your registration was rejected - you have the data necessary to answer any questions they might have. Even if you named the website and someone else tried to register, there might not be a rejection if the rejection is based on 'country' - I don't think we have any regulars who are in Mexico.

However, if you have a wireless router, that is often the culprit for being on blocklists - even for people who are experienced with computer hardware.

Miss Betsy

It's looking as if her computer is spewing out spam...it's most likely infected and/or part of a bot net.

More 'evidence' ..??? The previous IP Address traffic has gone down while the current IP Address traffic has gone up ....

Last day ....... 4.0 .. 42%

Last month ... 3.8

Last day .......4.4 .. 952%

Last month .. 3.4

Not much doubt as to just where the traffic is coming from. The only question would be just what device needs fixing.

Interesting that it says "static" in the alpha-numeric identity of the new IP, and those two IPs don't seem to belong to the same provider.

Not knowing just what the ISP(s) involved may be doing with their connections, the 'other' possibility that crossed my mind was something like switching coffee-shops for that 'free' connection, which would also explain the lack of detail about a wireless router being in use by Ms. Pamela ...?????

Not knowing just what the ISP(s) involved may be doing with their connections, the 'other' possibility that crossed my mind was something like switching coffee-shops for that 'free' connection, which would also explain the lack of detail about a wireless router being in use by Ms. Pamela ...?????

Or borrowing a different neighbors connection like one of my co-workers has done for almost 2 years now :)

From yesterday;

Last day ....... 4.0 .. 42%

Last month ... 3.8

Last day .......4.4 .. 952%

Last month .. 3.4

From today;

Last day 4.4 205%

Last month 3.9

Last day 4.4 802%

Last month 3.5

Switched back or ...????? If so, the problem is definitely following the computer.

PM sent;

As previously requested, more information is needed from your end. From the only information available thus far, the crux of the problem is pointing directly to 'your' computer (or network) .. but again, you've yet to provide anything else for anyone to try to work with.

At issue items include how you're actually connecting to the net, primarily if you've got a wireless router in use, and if so, is it secured at all.

Discussion continues at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9976

O.K., let's start with the first sentences in my original post. You try to guess what connection I have after I stated in the first post the connection.

"I just installed a new Banda 3G cellular card so that I can get internet on a computer that has not had internet service in 6 months."

It is not WiFi. I am not using WiFi in a public place. I am using 3G at home. There is no WiFi where I am and if there was, I would get on that WiFi signal and not be paying for 3G which is expensive in Mexico. If you don't know anything about 3G internet connection on a computer, 3G is a data card. The Sim can be used in Blackberry, iPod and other 3G satellite, cellular phones.

I wrote and made the connection type very clear in the original post and yet everyone drifts off in some other direction.

My computer is not spewing out spam. I don't send spam and I have no desire to take the time and effort to send spam.

If you don't know anything about a 3G connection, just say so and stop guessing. Obviously a cellular connection operates differently than a DSL or other land-line connection and 3G is not sending the same signals back to your server.

Ms. Delafield,

After looking at the SenderBase output on your original IP:

You wrote:

Notice that my address was not in the list and my address showed activation on 12-23?

You weren't understanding what you saw. The info at the top of the screen, through the table of "DNS-based blocklists," all has to do with your IP. The list at the bottom, titled "Addresses in 200.95.162.0/24 used to send email" should actually be titled "Other Addresses in 200.95.162.0/24 used to send email," as your address is assumed to be included. This is perhaps a bad interface design on the part of SenderBase. So, yes, your IP has been spewing out spam ever since you got connected.

Yes, people here started considering other connectivity possibilities, partly because you came back and apparently posted from a new IP address (not "ISP address," as you wrote). Wazoo identified the new address as [201.144.87.40] and has been sharing the SenderBase data on both IPs. However, SenderBase identifies the owners of the two IPs as follows:

Radiomovil Dipsa, S. A. de C. V.

Gestión de direccionamiento UniNet

Furthermore, SpamCop's parsing engine reports the complaint addresses for those two IPs differently, with the first one belonging to Telcel, but the other one to "reduno.com.mx" -- no apparent relation.

If you're only connecting using the Banda card, as you claim, it doesn't make sense that you would be posting here from IP addresses apparently belonging to different networks. So, that leaves us guessing about what would explain that, and WiFi situations came up. For example, if you have a neighbor with a WiFi router, and you have a laptop (we don't even know that), it's possible that sometimes, your laptop is using your Banda card, and sometimes is connecting to the neighbor's WiFi. Perhaps not, but there must be some explanation for the two different networks...something doesn't add up.

As for the spam....it's very likely that your computer is infected with a trojan and is sending stuff out whenever you have an Internet connection, but entirely without your knowledge. We're not accusing you of intentionally spamming. We're saying that spam is apparently coming from your computer, and those are two different things. For example, one of the SpamCop users just reported a message received from your Banda connection with the Subject of "It's really cool to have big tool."

If you want to monitor your own IP, you might want to visit one of the following sites each time you're online for a while:

http://whatsmyip.org/

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

The latter has further lookup options. So, it's not necessarily that people ignored the second sentence of your original post -- it's that the evidence seems to point to inconsistencies in your information. If you were only connecting using the Banda/Telcel connection, then the IP from which you're posting would always trace back to Telcel, and that's apparently not the case.

DT

...If you don't know anything about a 3G connection, just say so and stop guessing. Obviously a cellular connection operates differently than a DSL or other land-line connection and 3G is not sending the same signals back to your server.
I confess I've never used it, but a cool feature (in these parts, surely in Mexico too) is that it should be simple for you to monitor your usage, which should tell you if there is more outgoing than you could account for. One thing is for sure - the IP address 200.95.162.52 you are (mostly) using is sending more than your own data. That address is on a number of blacklists (not just SpamCop, as has been pointed out). One of them is CBL and you might like to look at what that has to say - http://cbl.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi?ip=200.95.162.52 - this is not necessarily your machine, but nevertheless, one using that same IP address (but also, somewhat ominously, the other IP address you have posted from shows increased spam). Anyway, CBL says
ATTENTION: At the time of detection, this IP was infected with, or NATting for a computer infected with a high volume spam sending trojan - it is participating or facilitating a botnet sending spam or spreading virus/spam trojans.

ATTENTION: if you simply repeatedly remove this IP address from the CBL without correcting the problem, the CBL WILL eventually stop letting you delist it and you will have to contact us directly.

This is identified as the Ozdok/Mega-D spambot

If your data throughput is unaccountably high, we can talk more about that - OR - assuming your machine is clear you need to get away from that IP address, it is dragging you down.

Archived