Spammers using my email address to send

nbriggs@gmpexpress.net

I have recently started receiving spam that has my own email address as the senders email. Have tried checking the raw sources of these messages and can't see any other email address or routing as source. I'm loath to report these emails to SpamCop if the report will be sent to my ISP since these messages are obviously not coming from me. Any suggestions?

I have recently started receiving spam that has my own email address as the senders email. (...) Any suggestions?

First, try reading http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/FromAddressForgery. SpamCop traces spam to IP addresses, not e-mail addresses, so reporting one of these mails will have no consequences for your e-mail account (at least not as far as SpamCop is concerned).

On another topic, If your posting name here is your e-mail address, I'd advise you contact a board admin to have it changed ASAP. This is a public board, and spammers can harvest your address from it.

-- rick

gmpexpress.net' post='68464' date='Dec 31 2008, 04:07 PM']

I have recently started receiving spam that has my own email address as the senders email. Have tried checking the raw sources of these messages and can't see any other email address or routing as source. I'm loath to report these emails to SpamCop if the report will be sent to my ISP since these messages are obviously not coming from me. Any suggestions?

1. Now that everyone knows your email address, spammers do scan this forum and other looking for good email addresses, you may get more spam. Check your options and change your logon name.

2. One of the most common "tricks" used by spammers is to forge your email address in the FROM: or Replay-to: line to get passed spam filters. Because anyone can forge these lines SpamCop does not look at them. They do look at the unseen parts of the header to find the IP address of the sender.

If you submit the spam using the cut & past web page or your special submit.xxxxx[at]spam.spamcop.net you have an opportunity (obligation) to review where SpamCop will send reports. You can un-check any you do not think should be send. - You should see that you nor your ISP will be listed.

This is a common question/concern on this forum. I suggest you check the resent postings here, SCWiki, FAQ for more details. Check the top of the page for links.

If you have any other questions there are people here with lots of experience that will be glad to help you. Welcome to the forum.

...On another topic, If your posting name here is your e-mail address, I'd advise you contact a board admin to have it changed ASAP. This is a public board, and spammers can harvest your address from it.
Heh, no MX for that domain, O/P will be hoping that 'address' gets scraped for all the good it would do the myrmidons of spamdom. :) I like it!

And yet that address was used for a forum login elsewhere, about two years ago...which makes us wonder why you'd use it? However, the domain, formerly belonging to a local broadband provider, but now parked and for sale, probably doesn't have any valid addresses at this point.

DT

gmpexpress.net' post='68477' date='Jan 1 2009, 07:01 AM']Thanks for the info. No that's not my email address but thanks for the concern.

Never the less, I'm going to ask that you follow the steps to ask for a change (see the Forum FAQ.) If nothing more than a reduction in the background noise, specially for 'new' users that don't note the difference between a 'display' name and an e-mail address when they decide to Register 'here'.....

• 2 weeks later...
gmpexpress.net' post='68464' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:07 PM']

Similar situation here I got spam from "my own email address" (my pager) and many different websites linked me directly to "Canandian pharmacy" how do I shut down this fake site? An idiot representative from my phone (pager) company advised me to send the link to unsubscribe but I know I never subscribe to begin with and once it has my address, it continously keep sending me (with my own emails) lots of junk websites, not only once but twice or three times daily, EVERYDAY. I wonder if it ever gonna stop? Sending or reporting complain to FTC is slow as snail usually no response but how do I shut down the fake site and stop it from using my email? thought id report it to FTC but I prefer immediate response from someone other than ftc and take action against this fake spam website. ~

thought id report it to FTC but I prefer immediate response from someone other than ftc and take action against this fake spam website. ~

I think you'll find answers to most of your questions if you look through the rest of this thread and try some of the FAQ and Wiki items found here.

You cannot stop a spammer from forging your e-mail address into his mailings. If you used a standard mail client, you could tell it to detain or discard messages that have your address as the "from" address, but I don't know enough about your pager setup to offer any further suggestions.

You can't stop spammers from trying to send to you once they have your address. You can, however, use a good spam filter to block or detain most or all of these deliveries. SpamCop itself offers such a service. Again, I don't know enough about your setup to make recommendations.

I'm glad you know better than to "unsubscribe" from a spammer's list. Many spammers use their unsubscribe facilities merely as means to identify people whose e-mail addresses work and who are unwise enough to follow stupid instructions from spammers.

How to shut down the site? That's a $64 billion question. Lots of people have been trying to stop this stuff for many years, but it is simply too easy for the perps to hide and evade. Unfortunately, as you have guessed, it is going to take more than one e-mail to the FTC to deal with these folks. Again, lots of material on the FAQ and Wiki on this topic.

-- rick

• 4 weeks later...
gmpexpress.net' post='68464' date='Dec 31 2008, 05:07 PM']

I created a filter that routes all the "To:Myname[at]spamcop.net" to a separate folder. Ocassionly I check it and delete them. If you would like assistance with the filter, pls just ask? :)

I get a flurry of these type emails after I receive an email from a friend. He says Norton claims there is nothing on his PC that generates sends a list of emails addresss to a spamer. However, I can't ingore the flury of these forged emails occuring after each of his emails and the absence of the spam emails when he doesn't send me an email for days.

Any suggestions on how to determine what is going on?

I get a flurry of these type emails after I receive an email from a friend.
Your observation of the timing sure is damning. However, an example of the "flurry" would help others do more than just guess at your (your friend's) problem. You should report at least one of the spam and then post the tracking URL here so we all can see the spam and evaluate how it got to you.

Archived