spamcop encountered problems

mrmaxx

I quick reported over 1000 messages this afternoon and I got a WHOLE bunch of "SpamCop can't find the spam" replies... What's the deal? Certainly it shouldn't be because I'm forwarding it wrong... I'm using the mail-system "report as spam." I think that something must have glitched in SpamCop and I'm really bummed because I had a BUNCH of emails that should have been reported as spam!

Any idea what's going on???? Is SpamCop going brain-dead today???

I'm glad to know that I'm not the ONLY one that received this message in error today. While I don't actually use the paid system (yet), I have ALL mail that is over a certain spam score (using spamassassin) forwarded directly to my account here directly through the MTA, which means that it doesn't even catch me until SC sends it back in a report, then I look at it. There's NO way that spamcop could be "not receiving" this content as it's being sent DIRECTLY through the MTA here.

Somethin's fishy.

If you want to send me a copy of the error message you're getting, I would be happy to take a look.

service at admin.spamcop.net

- Don -

Thank you, sir... funny thing... I haven't gotten a single one of those since the other day when about 2/3 of the messages I reported got bounced... I'll go ahead and forward you one of the "error" messages. 'Preciate it, Don!

*sigh* I just got another 10 messages with the subject "SpamCop Encountered Problems". I forwarded a couple to Don and Jeff T. so maybe something will get fixed. I sure hope so... I know Don said he thinks the spam got reported, but I'm not so sure... I'd be a LOT surer that the spam got reported if I didn't get the error email! :(

To: ver.username+spamcop.net-10614-71d2cd7119d42f24a573[at]spam.spamcop.net

If you see a line like that in the part where SpamCop says "could not find your spam message in this email," it's because there was an error when the webmail system was trying to find the spam you wanted to report.

Jeff says he is looking into the problem. He describes it this way:

"My suspicion is that webmail, for some reason, isn't finding the message referenced when the user submits the data. It apparently goes ahead and sends a blank message. The other side to this is that I believe it also doesn't delete the message. So, the page refreshes and all the same messages are there. Many users don't even notice that and submit the messages again. The second time, it works."

It's the blank message to the reporting system that generates the error message because there isn't any spam in it.

- Don -

FYI this is still occurring

For clarification in hope of helping Deputies feed back good data to Jeff/Julian .... do you simply mean that you've got errors, or are you specifically referencing Don's specific example of an e-mail that contains the following line in the error?

For clarification in hope of helping Deputies feed back good data to Jeff/Julian .... do you simply mean that you've got errors, or are you specifically referencing Don's specific example of an e-mail that contains the following line in the error?

To clarify. I am seeing as Don describes and since JT is aware of the issue I thought I would simply indicate that I experienced this specific issue today. Note that this issue is intermittent. I have noticed no correlation with the types of spam, concurrent use of IMAP client, amount of spam, etc. with the errors. I do not know how to duplicate the issue. It occurs rarely for me, today is the first time I have seen it in at least several weeks.

(Removing quoted message from Wazoo so I can be a good Netizen. :) )

To clarify.  I am seeing as Don describes and since JT is aware of the issue I thought I would simply indicate that I experienced this specific issue today.  Note that this issue is intermittent.  I have noticed no correlation with the types of spam, concurrent use of IMAP client, amount of spam, etc. with the errors.  I do not know how to duplicate the issue.  It occurs rarely for me, today is the first time I have seen it in at least several weeks.

I, too, have noticed that it's intermittent. I'm curious if maybe it could be a load issue on the webmail server... I wonder what the load average on the mail server is... Don't wanna start an OS flame ware here, so I'll stop at that. :) (Censoring self to avoid starting an OS flame ware! :D )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am increasing having my mail box filled up by this error:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am in Webmail, in the HELD Mail box.

I click on Select ALL

I click on Report as spam.

All seems normal after this. Within the hour I start getting a lot of messages

back from Autoresponder. See error above. If anyone can help with this it is much appreciated. I am going to have to stop reporting at all if the reporting

is not going to work.

THanks,

Steve

The only time I see this happen on my account, the messages do not leave the Held Mail folder. It does not happen often and resubmitting them seems to work.

How many messages do you display per screen? Others have mentioned more problems with more mesages per screen. I run 10/screen to limit scrolling up and down.

Well, not to continue thrashing a deceased equine, I just tried to report in excess of 750 messages and received a bunch of emails "spamcop encountered errors." There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.

I, for one, would like some assurance that the email messages were in fact reported. If this is going to continue happening, it's no better than just deleting all my held mail. :(

The only time I see this happen on my account, the messages do not leave the Held Mail folder.  It does not happen often and resubmitting them seems to work.

How many messages do you display per screen?  Others have mentioned more problems with more mesages per screen. I run 10/screen to limit scrolling up and down.

Steven:

I display 250 messages per page. That way I don't have to report page after page after page of email...

Steven:

I display 250 messages per page. That way I don't have to report page after page after page of email...

No, you have to report the same page of spam over and over and over :)

I was simply stating that the only time I get that error emailed to me, the messages I tried to submit never leave the Hled Mail folder. And when it does happen, I get 10 of those messages for the 10 messages I tried to submit that did not submit. Often, when the screen refreshes after hitting the confirmation, I am returned to a different folder than Held Mail where I was reporting the messages from. Invariably, I return to Held Mail, select all 10 messages again, and report without error.

You may want to try reducing that number just ot see if it improves for you.

You may want to try reducing that number just ot see if it improves for you.

Hmm... I could do that... but it's awfully nice to only have 4 pages of crap to go through to report 1000 messages. :) I might try dropping it to 200 or so, just to see if it makes a difference... Worth a shot, I guess... although, I really don't think it's got much to do with that, as it's not something that happens every time I report spam. If it were something to do with the number of messages, I'd expect to see that problem every time I reported junk email... heck, if I only wanted to report 100 messages at a time, I'd use VER! ;)

I think it has more to do with the total SIZE of the messages being submitted and the time it takes to transmit them across the country to the parser. If you have 1000 small messages or 100 large messages, you may have problems.

There has been no documentation pointing to this, but there is a stated (somewhere) limit for email submissions. My feeling is that it is related to those limits.

I think it has more to do with the total SIZE of the messages being submitted and the time it takes to transmit them across the country to the parser.  If you have 1000 small messages or 100 large messages, you may have problems.

As you know, there has been mention of the email limits several times Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? and (100k/50k limit) to name but a few. I usually get to 100k with around 30 spam but it is highly variable of course. That's not directly relevant to your cases though. Presumably, you're not exceeding the 3,000 per day (Is there a limit on reporting spam?) - you would presumably know all about it if you did (if it is enforced). Maybe it is something like Why does submitting to SpamCop results (sic) in an error/timeout? (Your firewall is discarding critical information necessary to this negotiation.) although I should think that would be fairly evident also. You guys know more than I do about this stuff,

I'm probably not helping - but when knowledge and intelligence fail, sometimes a little dumbness is needed. I can supply that.

sometimes a little dumbness is needed. I can supply that.

WT*??? someone after my job? . geeze, I thought this one was as secure as a job could be <g>

HaHa :-P) Self proclamation of any attribute is *usually* the least recommendation, Wazoo, but 1) Verity is my middle name (well, it *should* have been) 2) I claim the additional specification of "ignorance" 3) I have yet to see a dumb comment from you, ergo they do no exist. Admit it, you have been "low P'd", your modesty becomes you but your implicit claims of inadequacy are unsupported in the evidence.

I get the same message:

----------------------------

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

----------------------------

I used the forward-function of my mail program to forward the spam-mail to spamcop.

I used the forward-function of my mail program to forward the spam-mail to spamcop.

More to be gained from a resolution then (hopefully soon), if you're convinced it's *exactly* the same circumstance that StevenUnderwood and mrmaxx are facing (you're quick reporting huge amounts of spam). If not, what's your mail program and does it have the option to forward as attachment or forward in-line? There might be a simpler answer.

I have seen this issue repeatedly when quick reporting small amounts of spam (5 to 30) from the SpamCop webmail interface, however it remains intermittent as previously mentioned. I have seen no correlation with the number of spam I submit and the occurence of the error.

Since Monster has received the same error when forwarding perhaps this can help shed some light: If it occurs every time you submit then it is probably more likely a config issue with your mail client, if it is intermittent, then perhaps it is indeed the same issue we are seeing in SpamCop webmail.

I noticed recently in a PopFile forum that some people using an extension that allows for reporting to SpamCop were receiving the same error message via forwarding, but again, perhaps this is a configuration issue on their end. Thread here:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thr...forum_id=226152

SteveUnderwood wrote:

I was simply stating that the only time I get that error emailed to me, the messages I tried to submit never leave the Hled Mail folder. And when it does happen, I get 10 of those messages for the 10 messages I tried to submit that did not submit. Often, when the screen refreshes after hitting the confirmation, I am returned to a different folder than Held Mail where I was reporting the messages from. Invariably, I return to Held Mail, select all 10 messages again, and report without error.

To back up what Steve wrote above, I am seeing the following when the issue occurs in webmail:

A failure message received for each spam message I quick reported.

My held mail messages remain in the held mail folder.

After hitting the confirmation I have noticed that Horde IMP switches my view to the Inbox every time instead of remaining in the Held Mail folder.

As with Steve, if I report again, they will go through (although I am in the habit of deleting them, to eliminate any possiblity of double reporting.)

I forwarded a single spam-email with Outlook 2000.

However, following the instructions in another thread, I tried forwarding-as-attachment, and this seems to work: I got a link to a spam reporting page, filled in some data and reported the spam.

Outlook 2000 does not have a direct option for forwarding as attachment; however, I was able to drag the spam-email into a new email which I then sent to spamcop.

Archived