[Resolved] Personal Blacklist - issue

Hello,

I have an issues getting a personal blacklist to block an email address. I log into spamcop and go to "Manage your personal blacklist".

I add the persons email address being sure to add the reply-to: ( the from field is the same as the reply-to email address). I am certain I have the email address correct, no spaces or typos.

I have also tried wild cards like *[at]server.com.

The mail keeps getting through, any advice? The email is not spam, I know the person, asking them to stop is not an option as it would offend them. I just don't need every joke ever circulated on the Internet 20 times a day.

Thanks in advance

P

...The mail keeps getting through, any advice? ...
Don't use the mail system myself but is there anything in this previous topic that helps? http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9065
The email is not spam, I know the person, asking them to stop is not an option as it would offend them. I just don't need every joke ever circulated on the Internet 20 times a day.
Tell me about it! I draw the line when they start circulating virus hoaxes. THEN they get told. One of those decided he wasn't my friend any more. I guess he's right.

I have a rule so as not to block mail for my country domain com.xx in my white list.

Would that override the blacklist if the email was from a .com.xx?

Yes, normally. My whitelist is worded 'anything from... no matter who it is addressed to'

Sense you POP your mail from spamcop does your mail app let you setup rules to sort your mail? You could setup a rule in your mail app to send all the "joker's" email to trash.

Update: removing the com.XX from the whitelist seems to have fixed it....

Thanks for the help folks...

regards

Since I have an updated note on Personal White/Blacklists, here it is.

Mostly from the webmail help plus previous discussion here.

First of all both personal Whitelist and Blacklist have the same rules, Enter an entire email address or a single or multiple level domain on each line. Do not use wildcard characters.

The following headers are checked against the white/blacklist

* Envelope Sender aka Return Path

* Sender:

These incoming email addresses are checked against the whitelist starting from the right and working toward the left. That is, if you enter spamcop.net, it will match any email address with spamcop.net at the right, including foo[at]spamcop.net or foo[at]bar.spamcop.net.

Entering matches starting from the left will not work. For instance, entering foo into your whitelist will not match foo[at]spamcop.net or foo[at]bar.net.

This is a compare by field from right (Per JT: we only look for delimiters at dots and [at] -- Feb 12 2004) so entering cop.net will not match foo[at]spamcop.net but entering net will match.

So if the email has co.jones[at]whatever.topica.co.uk then an effective list entry can be

a) uk

B) co.uk

c) topica.co.uk

d) whatever.topica.co.uk

e) jones[at]whatever.topica.co.uk {I think}

f) co.jones[at]whatever.topica.co.uk

Whitelist overides blacklist so it is valid and useful to

Blacklist uk

Whitelist topica.co.uk

Note that SpamCopMail records what it does in the headers so you can monitor what it thinks it is doing. The above gets.

X-SpamCop-Whitelisted: topica.co.uk

and for other uk domains

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blacklist uk

HTH

I have an issues getting a personal blacklist to block an email address. I log into spamcop and go to "Manage your personal blacklist".

I add the persons email address being sure to add the reply-to: ( the from field is the same as the reply-to email address). I am certain I have the email address correct, no spaces or typos.

I see you have managed to resolve the issue by adjusting your whitelist. Beware, however, that using the blacklist in the way you describe automatically moves the affected messages to the held message folder and it will be exceedingly easy to mistakenly report these messages as spam. In that scenario your friend may decide you are no longer friends. This also blocks all messages from your friend. Even the ones without jokes.

I'd advise using a filter in your Email program as Lking suggests. Much better approach and you can filter on more than the sender.

Andrew

Archived