Problem with Blacklist

Conrad

It was working great yesterday nothing was coming in and then at 11:00 last night it stopped working. I thought it was the machine but when I changed the blacklist to another site it worked. I thought maybe they have been working on their list or their machine was down

Just to inform everyone.  I called BVRP (thats whos email filtering software I use) and they said that they have received a couple of calls about SPAMCOP list not working.

We'll need more information than "not working". Are you saying it doesn't block any spam? Or that the DNS server isn't responding? Or is responding with an invalid response?

Do you have any idea which DNS server you're trying to connect to? (There are many that all answer for bl.spamcop.net).

Does the filtering software have an provision for a timeout period for blacklist replies? Can you lengthen that and see if the problem goes away?

JT

Basically what is going on was that it was blocking all spam and then all of a sudden everything was coming through. So I took it off and tried another site and that worked. I wanted to go back to Spamcop so I changed it back and worked for a while and then stopped again, spam started to come through.

The software that I am using does not let you configure the blacklist at all. All I do is type in the BL.SPAMCOP.NET and thats all.

So I wouldnt know what DNS server I am connecting to.

Thanks for the reply

I use MailMarshal SMTP and several of my customers have reported problems with SpamCop. The problem is that spam that was being stopped, started coming through again. The problem started about Jan 28th at about 12:00 Eastern US time.

I thought maybe it was becasue of the high volume of emails generated by MyDoom and it was possibly overloading the SpamCop Black List.

Basically what is going on was that it was blocking all spam and then all of a sudden everything was coming through.  So I took it off and tried another site and that worked.  I wanted to go back to Spamcop so I changed it back and worked for a while and then stopped again, spam started to come through.

The software that I am using does not let you configure the blacklist at all.  All I do is type in the BL.SPAMCOP.NET and thats all.

So I wouldnt know what DNS server I am connecting to.

Thanks for the reply

Conrad

Are you still having problems? What ISP are you using?

I am still having a problem on Feb 4.

I use MailMarshal SMTP and several of my customers have reported problems with SpamCop.  The problem is that spam that was being stopped, started coming through again.  The problem started about Jan 28th at about 12:00 Eastern US time.

I thought maybe it was becasue of the high volume of emails generated by MyDoom and it was possibly overloading the SpamCop Black List.

what do you get when you do an nslookup on 2.0.0.127.bl.spamcop.net from a command prompt?

• 2 weeks later...

Please try using these other AT&T nameservers don't appear to have the same problem:

KCGW1.att.com (192.128.133.77)

CKGW1.att.com (209.219.209.77)

ALGW1.att.com (192.128.167.77)

Thanks!

I have discussed this problem with ATT's tier-2 DNS support for business customers (very nice, responsive, professional folks). They are intentionally blocking the spamcop list queries - supposedly because of the extra load on their main DNS servers causing problems for other non-list-using customers. While I think that reasoning is lame, I respect their decision. Perhaps if they get enough complaints, they'll change the policy.

They provide other DNS servers which don't include this "feature" but ask that their customers contact them directly for the correct IPs. I have created a new FAQ with this information.

Having said all that, I think JeffG cuts to the chase with that list of alternate IPs. ATT reps have asked that I not publish that information in the FAQ (so that only ATT customers will use it).

-=Julian=-

The FAQ URL:

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/375.html

This is not mirrored as I write, so here's the content:

Q: Why can't I get to the blocking list from ATT's network?

A: ATT's business networks DNS department has decided to block DNS requests for the SpamCop blocking list, as well as other popular DNS-based lists, because of the extra load on their servers.

They do however provide a workaround for their customers. If you are an ATT business customer, you can contact ATT for information on secondary DNS servers which don't prevent the use of DNS-based lists.

Visit ATT's DNS page (https://mis-att.bus.att.com/mys/dns_res_terms.html) or call 888-613-6330 (option 3,1) for more details. You will be asked to prove you are an ATT business customer.

Julian,

Thanks for the update. If AT&T finds my posts or you prefer, I'll be happy to redact the addresses, which I found from the att.com entry at whois.register.com and corroborated with authoritative SOA records on each other.

OTOH, if you could talk AT&T into hosting a mirror of the SCBL, that would make your customers in common happy. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post!! That was definitely my problem as well... AT&T will give you new forwarders to a secondary DNS to enable your lookups....

Works great... Thanks for posting! This one was getting me to scratch my head a bit... <_<

Archived