trouble submitting spamcop reports

Gorsefire

We normally submit our spamcp reports thru mailwasher but for the last couple of months have not receioved the reply email with the link to submit the report from. Nothing in our settings has changed so am at a loss to know what the problem is. Have got our IP to turn off their spam detection for our email but it hasn't made any difference.

Any help available?

We normally submit our spamcp reports thru mailwasher

As not stated, does this also suggest the use of Outlook in your configuration?

but for the last couple of months have not receioved the reply email with the link to submit the report from. Nothing in our settings has changed so am at a loss to know what the problem is. Have got our IP to turn off their spam detection for our email but it hasn't made any difference.

Any help available?

Fisrt things first.

Define "turn off spam detection" ... sounds like an 'incoming' setting, but there is a Forum Topic/Discusson and a number of other singular Topics/Posts dealing with complaints/issues of ISPs filtering 'outgoing' e-mail.

Free, Fuel, or some other type of Reporting Account?

MailHost Configured Account or not?

Quick-Reporting in the mix?

Can you log into 'your' www.spamcop.net web-page? Any flags/messages showing?

have not received the reply email
If you will email me your login username (email address), I will be happy to look into this for you.

No other information is needed, or even relevant.

Please do not post your username in this forum.

Email me directly at service[at]admin.spamcop.net

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

- service[at]admin.spamcop.net -

...No other information is needed, or even relevant. ...
Or if it is, Don already has complete access to it once he has your user/account name. But in the remote possibility the problem is something beyond even his great powers and if you might then like to throw it back to ordinary members to have a look at, don't be dismayed then if we need to know some stuff we can't know without being told, as first asked.

It's just that I seem to recall several other MW users mentioning difficulties in recent times and I'm blessed if I know/recall offhand whether their problems were solved or not. I hope they were.

>- have not receioved the reply email with the link to submit the report

That's the only issue. Email between us and the user. It could be because his email is not getting to us, or that our email is not getting to him.

Only someone with access to the user's account details can diagnose the problem. That would be me.

Email problems have absolutely nothing to do with free or paid, or Mailhosts, or quick reporting, or which email client the user has.

That's the only issue. Email between us and the user. It could be because his email is not getting to us, or that our email is not getting to him.

agreed, thus the mention of other existing Topics/Discussions on some of the previous examples of just how/where e-mail went missing.

Only someone with access to the user's account details can diagnose the problem. That would be me.

Quite ignoring the actual user involved. There are some troubleshooting procedures and possibilities offered in those 'other / existing" Topics/Discussions.

Email problems have absolutely nothing to do with free or paid, or Mailhosts, or quick reporting, or which email client the user has.

Many folks have tripped over the "nothing chnaged here" syndrome. My suggestions/questions dealt with and included;

verifying that credentials are in order by verifying that they still worked to log in directly.

checking for any 'status' messages on that screen that might relate to a 'non-response' condition.

questioned the UMA involved, as it might lead to some issues with further troubleshooting steps.

MailHosting & Quick-Reporting steps can lead to Reporting 'issues' - i.e., flags need to be set (by you, if you will)

Sisn't say a word about ie of the FAQ or Wiki, ignored the "been screwed up for the last couple of months" remark (although actually went with the fact that the Help links are still hidden and this person perhaps hadn't figured out how to wander the original FAQ file, no matter how out of date it might be) .... and I still het jumped on. Amazing.

Let's not overlook the scenario in that folks here are trying to help, if nothing more than to point out possibilites, get the question more focused, and rule out the obvious/easy things before sending them to your e-mail queue.

verifying that credentials are in order by verifying that they still worked to log in directly.

checking for any 'status' messages on that screen that might relate to a 'non-response' condition.

questioned the UMA involved, as it might lead to some issues with further troubleshooting steps.

MailHosting & Quick-Reporting steps can lead to Reporting 'issues' - i.e., flags need to be set (by you, if you will)

Sorry. I know you think you know what you're talking about but that stuff is totally unrelated to the user's problem. Sending the user off on a goose chase after that info only serves to delay getting him the help he needs.

>- if nothing more than to point out possibilites

I can't help but think you really mean point out "user failures and omissions"

Not an issue - I just didn't know how to send an email to test reporting a spam. Its done yesterday.

Sorry. I know you think you know what you're talking about but that stuff is totally unrelated to the user's problem. Sending the user off on a goose chase after that info only serves to delay getting him the help he needs.

<snip>

...Sorry, I know that you know what you are talking about in terms of what you need to know to help the user but you appear to be seriously confused about the differences between an application supplier (SpamCop) support forum (lower case "f' intentional) and a user-to-user forum. This is the latter. What we fellow users need to know to help the user is different (and certainly more) than what you as a representative of the provider needs.

Not an issue - I just didn't know how to send an email to test reporting a spam. Its done yesterday.

I'm guessing, but I'll take this to indicate that the problem has been Resolved somehow. Tagging the Topic as such. Would much rather have the actual issue/solution defined for those that end up here as a result of a search query looking for "the answer."

...Sorry, I know that you know what you are talking about in terms of what you need to know to help the user but you appear to be seriously confused about the differences between an application supplier (SpamCop) support forum (lower case "f' intentional) and a user-to-user forum. This is the latter. What we fellow users need to know to help the user is different (and certainly more) than what you as a representative of the provider needs.
I don't think I'm the one who is confused here.

What I need to know, and what you need to know are exactly the same thing.

Please notice that the user simply stated that he wasn't getting any email from us in response to his spam submissions. He didn't say anything about "SMTP Send" problems, error messages, or anything technical like that.

Volunteers asking for information about free or paid, or Mailhosts, or quick reporting, or which email client the user has, only serve to generate suppositions and misdirected advice, and myriad links to irrelevant other threads.

The key to support is to drill down to the heart of the matter in the first exchanges and then address it directly.

The user asked about why he wasn't getting email from us. I can flat guarantee you that it makes no difference whatsoever whether he has a paid or free account, or has set up his Mailhosts, or is using Quick reporting, or what email software he is using. Any volunteer worth his salt should know that right up front.

I'm not sure what the resolution was, or if the problem was resolved. I think the problem was that the user's MailWasher didn't have the right "Submit" address. Unfortunately, after a couple of exchanges, I never heard from the user again, and the account has not been used to report spam since.

I'm not sure what the resolution was, or if the problem was resolved. I think the problem was that the user's MailWasher didn't have the right "Submit" address.

Just noting that this was a suggested issue addressed in asking if he/she could "log into your www.spamcop.net page" .. All the rest dealt with the setting up of what steps to try next. Referring an Outlook user to procedures involving FireFox wouldn't help anyone.

Recollections of past MW issues include things like installing of some bad updates, bad re-installs, moving to another computer, etc., etc., etc., definitely not to overlook the ISP/Host adding "outgoing filtering" into the mix. The type of things that were in mind in my original Post, thus trying to pull some additional background on just what and why something would have changed, in contrast to the statement that "nothing had changed."

I'm reading your last as suggesting that none of the submittals was making it to the Reporting System. You didn;t mention whether or not the credentials in use were verified or not, i.e. going back to my asking if a login was possible or not. So for those future readers, the issue could still be the ISP/Host changing the ougoing configuration of their mailhost, or something did actually happen to this users' system, intentional or not. I took the statement "how to send an email to test reporting a spam. Its done yesterday." as probably meaning that the FAQ here had been looked at and the CC: method had been used to "test" the outgoing function ... but as I stated, I was only making my best guess.

PM sent:

Would you please return and clear up whether or not your issue has been solved? Based on your last Post, I tagged your Topic as Resolved, but a later Post by Don suggests that it is still a problem.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11651

Just noting that this was a suggested issue addressed in asking if he/she could "log into your www.spamcop.net page" .. All the rest dealt with the setting up of what steps to try next. Referring an Outlook user to procedures involving FireFox wouldn't help anyone.

Recollections of past MW issues include things like installing of some bad updates, bad re-installs, moving to another computer, etc., etc., etc., definitely not to overlook the ISP/Host adding "outgoing filtering" into the mix. The type of things that were in mind in my original Post, thus trying to pull some additional background on just what and why something would have changed, in contrast to the statement that "nothing had changed."

I'm reading your last as suggesting that none of the submittals was making it to the Reporting System. You didn;t mention whether or not the credentials in use were verified or not, i.e. going back to my asking if a login was possible or not. So for those future readers, the issue could still be the ISP/Host changing the ougoing configuration of their mailhost, or something did actually happen to this users' system, intentional or not. I took the statement "how to send an email to test reporting a spam. Its done yesterday." as probably meaning that the FAQ here had been looked at and the CC: method had been used to "test" the outgoing function ... but as I stated, I was only making my best guess.

PM sent:

Maybe I can clear up some confusion on the above discussion whether it is regarded by all as being relevant or not.

1. yes i can login in to spamcop website

2. my ISP does NO filtering of outgoing spam according to them

3. sending a test email was done by using the submit to address and sending a blank email

4. no updates have been installed between when I could report and when I lost that function.

5, neither has my submit to address been changed

6.I haven't moved to another computer

7. my husband has also lost the ability to report spam from his laptop

8. I haven't been in contact with Dion again as I had nothing to report apart from the sending the test email in the way I understood his instructions.

The issue has not been resolved

Hope this clears some fog from the discussion

The issue has not been resolved

Resolved tag removed from Topic title.

Maybe I can clear up some confusion on the above discussion whether it is regarded by all as being relevant or not.

1. yes i can login in to spamcop website

and those credenials match the MW configuration???? Perhas even taking the step to clear and re-enter that data ???

2. my ISP does NO filtering of outgoing spam according to them

7. my husband has also lost the ability to report spam from his laptop

Not stated .... same ISP/Host involved? And the "NO filtering" verified how?

3. sending a test email was done by using the submit to address and sending a blank email

And the result was ????? Not sure what would actually happen in this case, as a "blank e-mail" wouldn't give anything for the parser to deal with. In the days of yore, there was a "place Reply anyway in the Subject line" action that would generate a response whatever the result, but this hasn't come up in a long time, so not sure the function still exists or not.

4. no updates have been installed between when I could report and when I lost that function.

5, neither has my submit to address been changed

6.I haven't moved to another computer

8. I haven't been in contact with Dion again as I had nothing to report apart from the sending the test email in the way I understood his instructions.

Hope this clears some fog from the discussion

Still a lot of unknowns.

Once again, what e-mail clients are involved? Does the husband also use the same client and MW?

There are some stumbling blocks if Outlook is involved, but in general ....

Try "Forward as an attachment" an e-mail to your SpamCop Reporting address but also add a CC: to another Host e-mail account, (HotMail, Yahoo, GMail, etc.) ..... Then look for both a respnse from SpamCop.net and a copy of the sent e-mail in the other acount. The header data in the other account's e-mail will help to pinpoint a search at the SpamCop.net end of things, if it turns out that the problem is more than a simple parsing issue. If neither action occurs, then the suggestion would lean towards the fact that your ISP/Host "is" filtering outgoing e-mail.

Resolved tag removed from Topic title.

and those credenials match the MW configuration???? YES

Perhas even taking the step to clear and re-enter that data ??? YES

Not stated .... same ISP/Host involved? YES

And the "NO filtering" verified how? I RANG AND TALKED THRU THE ISSUE WITH THEM AND ASKED SPECIFICVALLY ABOUT OUT GOING FILTERING

And the result was ????? Not sure what would actually happen in this case, as a "blank e-mail" wouldn't give anything for the parser to deal with. In the days of yore, there was a "place Reply anyway in the Subject line" action that would generate a response whatever the result, but this hasn't come up in a long time, so not sure the function still exists or not.

Still a lot of unknowns.

Once again, what e-mail clients are involved? SLINGSHOT Does the husband also use the same client and MW? YES

There are some stumbling blocks if Outlook is involved, but in general ....

Try "Forward as an attachment" an e-mail to your SpamCop Reporting address (DON'T HAVE THIS OPTION FROM MW- HAVE TO LET IT ONTO MY PCBEFORE I CAN DO THAT but also add a CC: to another Host e-mail account, (HotMail, Yahoo, GMail, etc.) ..... Then look for both a respnse from SpamCop.net and a copy of the sent e-mail in the other acount. The header data in the other account's e-mail will help to pinpoint a search at the SpamCop.net end of things, if it turns out that the problem is more than a simple parsing issue. If neither action occurs, then the suggestion would lean towards the fact that your ISP/Host "is" filtering outgoing e-mail.

Took me a while to note that there really was some extra data provided in your last Post.

Once again, what e-mail clients are involved? SLINGSHOT Does the husband also use the same client and MW? YES

Hmmmmm, Information Delivery Services doesn't look like much of an end-user e-mail client, though admitting I've not gone much beyond that opining page.

Whereas, A Better Place includes set-up instructions for several versions of Outlook, Outlook Express .... wondering if this is the more correct item, which goes back to the probabilty that you and husband are actually using Outlook as your e-mail client. ?????

Try "Forward as an attachment" an e-mail to your SpamCop Reporting address (DON'T HAVE THIS OPTION FROM MW- HAVE TO LET IT ONTO MY PCBEFORE I CAN DO THAT but also add a CC: to another Host e-mail account, (HotMail, Yahoo, GMail, etc.)

OK, I'll admit to not using MW, so don't fully understand your statements. Surely, one can Report a spam e-mail that made its way into the InBox????

Questions about Quick-Reportng have never been answered, so let me make yet another assumption that you have not set up your Reporting Account for that mode. In that case, and also forcing myself to assume that using MW to report a spam sitting in your InBox is possible, then I would say;

Simply grab an e-mail, any e-mail, and try to submi it via MW with an additional CC: address (here again, yet another set of assumptions ... 1 - that you already have or will set-up another account somewhere else and 2 - that you can add a CC: address somewhere in the MW configuration or address lines) and then do the previously mentioned checks.

Worst case, this attempted Report will go through, but the key is that if it does, then you have the opportunity to 'cancel' the Report.

At this point;

credential are good, have been re-entered into MW

two systems and instances (still assuming that there are two spamcop.net accounts in use) are both 'bad'

.. both systems/users are using the same clients, configurations, and ISP/Host

there is not the typical "me too" set of additiona complaints, issues being Posted here or in the newsgroups

And the "NO filtering" verified how? I RANG AND TALKED THRU THE ISSUE WITH THEM AND ASKED SPECIFICVALLY ABOUT OUT GOING FILTERING

as exampled in so many previous Discussions on this same scenario, the person you were talking to may not actually know about a configuration change, or even worse, might actually have been lying. Just based on the facts derived thus far, it sure seems like this is where the actual issue resides. This is what the CC: address will try to either verify or prove wrong.

Not sure what would actually happen in this case, as a "blank e-mail" wouldn't give anything for the parser to deal with.
Yet again... I have to tell you things you should already know...

Sending a simple text message to your "submit" address generates an error email from SpamCop when it discovers that your email doesn't contain (or attached) any spam. Of course, you could have tested the procedure to find out for yourself, but....

The process tells us that your email will reach your SpamCop "Submit" address, and that our email will reach you. I think that is a very important thing to know.

Outlook is involved
Still totally irrelevant because the user stated up front that she is using MailWasher to report spam. MailWasher sits in front of the email client and handles spam reporting *before* the email is ultimately delivered to the email software.

You may want to familiarize yourself with the very popular MailWasher utility.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

I have advised the user to deal with me directly so we can figure out what is going.

The process tells us that your email will reach your SpamCop "Submit" address, and that our email will reach you. I think that is a very important thing to know.

Yep, agree with that. Thus the CC: method for capturing even more data to use in the troubleshooting of the flow or lack thereof.

Still totally irrelevant because the user stated up front that she is using MailWasher to report spam. MailWasher sits in front of the email client and handles spam reporting *before* the email is ultimately delivered to the email software.

You may want to familiarize yourself with the very popular MailWasher utility.

http://www.mailwasher.net/

Not a lot of help there. The FAQ doesn't mention anything other than using the BL. Putting spamcop into the search-box lists folks bemoaning the fact that the "forward to spamcop.net" option/function has been removed from the latest release, apparently both free and pro versions.

What I do see is that one can "bounce or forward" even under a Preview. It is at this point that the additional address could/would be entered at the same time as the SpamCop.net Reporting adress, so I don't see a problem in the mechanics.

I have advised the user to deal with me directly so we can figure out what is going.

Whatever. Just noting that I did the follow-up here because you stated that dialog between you and her had stopped .... and my penchant for having questions and issues Resolved got the better of me. The data thus far does seem to suggest an addition to E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated! but with the caveat that some of the actual reporting steps are still an unknown here.

• 2 weeks later...

PM traffic placed here;

So to keeop thingsd sim,ple I have started ermailing Dion directly.

Much time has gone by, Did you get te problem resolved, and if so, what was the

problem?

no the problem is no t resolved,for some reason Outlook will let spam in but not let me send it out again. I know I can send legit mail to the spamcop submit address but no spam reports make it thru.

Mo idea what you and Don have tried, but it still seems likely to me that the previouslu suggested ISP outgoing filtering/blocking is going on. I stil stand on the suggested troubleshootin step of adding a CC: address to another account somewhere else to see if that 'copy' makes it there .... again, that will either prove that blocking/filtering is actually happening and/or provide some specific header data fo further analysis by someone else.

As you finally stated that Outlook is in use, the "Forwarding" action may be problematic, so from this side of the screen, perhaps adding the additional address to the MailWasheer configuration might be easier ???? (On the other hand, if one goes with Don's last tirade at me, then perhaps the actual content of your attempted Oytlook Forwarding action might not matter, especially as the specific result being looked for is whether the 'spam complaint e-mail" makes it out of your ISP/Host's e-mail servers or not. Of course, that's also ignoring the fact that the Outlook Forwarded item actually has enough stucture/content to trip the folters ???) Back to adding a CC: address to the MailWasher configuration.

And, yes, I'm still making the assumption that you have another e-mail address somewhere or will generate one in order to try this troubleshooting step.

PM traffic placed here;

Much time has gone by, Did you get te problem resolved, and if so, what was the

problem?

no the problem is no t resolved,for some reason Outlook will let spam in but not let me send it out again. I know I can send legit mail to the spamcop submit address but no spam reports make it thru.

Mo idea what you and Don have tried, but it still seems likely to me that the previouslu suggested ISP outgoing filtering/blocking is going on. I stil stand on the suggested troubleshootin step of adding a CC: address to another account somewhere else to see if that 'copy' makes it there .... again, that will either prove that blocking/filtering is actually happening and/or provide some specific header data fo further analysis by someone else.

As you finally stated that Outlook is in use, the "Forwarding" action may be problematic, so from this side of the screen, perhaps adding the additional address to the MailWasheer configuration might be easier ???? (On the other hand, if one goes with Don's last tirade at me, then perhaps the actual content of your attempted Oytlook Forwarding action might not matter, especially as the specific result being looked for is whether the 'spam complaint e-mail" makes it out of your ISP/Host's e-mail servers or not. Of course, that's also ignoring the fact that the Outlook Forwarded item actually has enough stucture/content to trip the folters ???) Back to adding a CC: address to the MailWasher configuration.

two things -

i don't forwsrd from Outlook and have not seen any facility in MW to add a cc anywhere. I do know that. What I can do is forward it to my husband and see if that gets out thru Outlook

And, yes, I'm still making the assumption that you have another e-mail address somewhere or will generate one in order to try this troubleshooting step.

Archived