***Email **** Important Update

I need the OLD MAIL.. NEED NEED NEED is a putting it simply... I went to find something tonight and of course it is in one of the folders on the server that is currently gone.

Not good but it is always a good idea to use a USB flash drive to back up email to by "popping" and leave email on server.

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable.

USB devices are cheap now my local grocery store sell a Tetra-bite waterproof one cheap. However I prefer a lockable password protected type as if you leave a USB anywhere your info and mail becomes unsecure

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am trying to withhold judgment, but the sc forces that be aren't making it easy.

In addition to the recent troubles that have been public I could not connect to the server for more than 10 minutes 24 hours ago. There have been too many hiccups lately not to notice something was going wonky. Isn't that what all those performance charts, mobile alarms and the like are for? This one certainly didn't sneak up on us.

Not good but it is always a good idea to use a USB flash drive to back up email to by "popping" and leave email on server....

I use thunderbird and IMAP, rather than POP3, but have the option selected to store copies of email locally. The email is included in my daily backups onto an external drive.

Has anyone started getting their old emails back? Mine are still all missing. Like many of you, I've relied on CES for quite a few years, and until this year, it's been very reliable. I certainly hope that none of our old emails are missing when it's restored as I have mail going back at least 5 to 6 years.. :wacko:

I use thunderbird and IMAP, rather than POP3, but have the option selected to store copies of email locally. The email is included in my daily backups onto an external drive.

IMAP can remove you emails if the server deletes them (but will put them back when the back-up does which is going to be time consuming)

This version of thunderbird is designed to be used from a portable device. You do not have to remove your IMAP set-up

http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/thunderbird_portable

The type of Flash drive (USB) you use is up to you. I suggest you consider one that can be password protected like

http://www.kingston.com/flash/dt_secure.asp

For email without security lock-out on a USB it means your privacy can easily be copied, stolen or used if mislaid

I'm pretty sure that "the guys" are getting a little much-needed sleep at the moment (hey, that actually sounds like a good idea for me as well), and will let us know where things stand in a few hours or so. Here's hoping for the best.

DT

David, I agree and don't want to hound people trying to get this fixed. But we have gotten no real updates since email went down, with the exception of one that said they don't know until they "actually start the work".

I totally understand if there are major technical problems, but there is a real lack of communication here. Even if it is going to take a week, I'd feel much better if there was some communication.

I totally understand if there are major technical problems, but there is a real lack of communication here. Even if it is going to take a week, I'd feel much better if there was some communication.

Agreed. I'm sure we'd all appreciate more details of what's going on, especially in answer to the questions about the backup procedures in use on our mail (or lack thereof).

DT

All the helpy advice on backing up mail locally is, I'm sorry to say, not helpful and off topic. Perhaps it would be more appropriate in another topic. It could be called, "providing for unprofessional data security regimes at your corporate email provider," or something like that. This topic is not about beating on anyone, it's about monitoring and getting status on THE CURRENT ONGOING FAILURE OF THE SPAMCOP MAIL SYSTEM.

WE NEED TO REGAIN ACCESS TO OUR MAIL.

Lacking that, WE NEED AN ETA ON THE FIX.

And, loss of the data is not acceptable, as I'm sure SpamCop's leaders clearly understand.

SpamCop is now owned by Cisco, as part of their IronPort acquisition. Julian Haight is gone, and SpamCop is now under the care of one of the largest multinational coroporations on the planet, the leader in internet IT. Perhaps our beloved little subsidiary, SpamCop, CES Mail, or whoever is actually working on this needs to call in the big guns from corporate HQ. Get some resources into the data center(s).

Again, this is not a happy social topic, and we're not "beating" on anyone. We've lost access to business and personal mail, for which we've been paying for storage and access, and the data's now gone. It needs to be restored, and we need to be kept in the loop. There's nothing unreasonable nor unusual about this requirement.

SpamCop is now owned by Cisco, as part of their IronPort acquisition. Julian Haight is gone, and SpamCop is now under the care of one of the largest multinational coroporations on the planet, the leader in internet IT. Perhaps our beloved little subsidiary, SpamCop, CES Mail, or whoever is actually working on this needs to call in the big guns from corporate HQ.

It's not clear to me that there's any direct financial or technical relationship between the owners of "SpamCop" and CES (the email service), so I doubt this is an option.

DT

Dear Spamcop.

I'm writing as a long time customer and a longtime admirer and appreciator of your service. This isn't an angry rant. It's advice.

You're hurting your business.

Not because of the technical issues -- those happen. But because of the lack of communication.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that discontent is limited to the relative handful of people who are posting here. For every poster there are thousands of customers who don't know this board even exists and have no way to reach you. Those people are just as frustrated and concerned as we are. Maybe more.

Tell us what's happening. If the old mail is there but you can't restore it yet, tell us. If the mail is gone, tell us. Either way, we need to move on with running our businesses and taking appropriate actions.

I didn't back up. That's on me. I own up to that mistake. Now own up to whatever is going on with you.

I am looking for every reason to remain as a customer. So are thousands of other of your customers. Give us one. Tell us -- now -- exactly what's going on.

We deserve at least that.

All the helpy advice on backing up mail locally is, I'm sorry to say, not helpful and off topic.

<snip>

...Apparently at least two of us, petzl and I) do think it's on topic. You are welcome to your view that it isn't helpful but it might very well be useful to someone else, such as dahauss 79161[/snapback]), to have suggestions for avoiding losing their e-mail history when a provider has a machine failure, it's worth having here.
Dear Spamcop.

<snip>

...For better or worse, the mail service is not provided by SpamCop and there isn't anything SpamCop feels that they can do about CES e-mail problems. Elsewhere, I suggested to them that the fact that SpamCop's name is on the e-mail service does cause customer unhappiness to tar them but the point apparently escaped the one with whom I was communicating and I have to presume that is the consensus there.

I am getting email (new) but none of my folders and all of the email in those folders are back yet.

I'm terrified to try and recreate the folder structure before support tells us that all hope is lost.

This is certainly a pesky problem, apparently without a simple fix. We've had our hiccups over the last decade or so but old mail has always come back. I'm still hopeful.

Breathing deeply.

The email system is back up and operational and processing *new* mail. The old mail is not available at this time. In order to get the system back up, new hardware was put into service. We are working to get the old mail back online.

We realize this is a major inconvenience for everyone and are doing everything we can to restore the system and old email to it's previous state.

it is down again. can't pop and can't get webmail

This whole event is like a blow with a sledgehammer. Yes, I have some sort of partial backups. I have

spent most of the day fishing urgent things out (from various computers, mail clients and operating

systems): plane tickets, urgent work things, things like that. For sure, about 99.99% of my mail is

no loss at all. But 0.01% isn't just urgent but long-term important, and I don't even know what it is, just now.

I appreciate, that somewhere in America there are (please God) some harassed individuals plugging in

disk drives or whatnot, trying to stitch peoples mail together. Thanks. But bear in mind that the pain and time I have spent today, and tomorrow, and for months afterwards, multiplied by the number of your email customers, is enormous. There is one hell of a lot at stake, not just the survival of your company.

Please do it properly. Please be careful. Get it right. Thanks.

I can now login...only to find everything empty. Even the new mail that's come today.

Yes, even VER wasn't working quite right (no deletes of reported spam) until I logged on to webmail and did it directly where it announced " Trash folder successfully created".

And POP "leave on server" didn't work for new mail so my Inbox is empty

Yes, even VER wasn't working quite right (no deletes of reported spam) until I logged on to webmail and did it directly where it announced " Trash folder successfully created".

michaelanglo,

Thanks for posting that. I didn't understand why quick reporting would not delete any messages and seemed unable to handle anything other than a couple at a time without messages about "Message ID has changed" and problems with the database and others. I logged into Webmail, deleted one message, it reported that it created the Trash folder and then I was able to quick report 100 emails.

Ed

Archived