Reporting account suspended

vivi

I, like a lot of other people, have been experiencing problems reporting spam, but today it got worse: after trying unsuccessfully to report 3 spam emails and report some previously parsed email I received an email from spamcop with the message:

In the 24 hours starting Sun Jul 8 22:30:09 2012, you have submitted over spams for processing, which exceeds our daily submission limit. No more submissions will be accepted. Your reporting account is disabled. Please reply if you are reporting spam in good faith and feel your account should be reinstated.

I replied to the email, but should I do anything else?

Should be enough vivi - just the system going crazy. A few others have mentioned reportng suspended or disabled. All symptomatic of the same problems I should think. SC Admin will fix your account when he gets your reply.

Should be enough vivi - just the system going crazy. A few others have mentioned reportng suspended or disabled. All symptomatic of the same problems I should think. SC Admin will fix your account when he gets your reply.

great, thanks. Shouldn't be a problem since I can't report spam anyway....

I got this tidbit today too, LOL!

I had three tabs open to report spam, one said "User ID Not Found", the other said I was suspended and the third was a dazzling display of what looked like Commodore 64 graphics :lol:

Good luck with the psycho server, fellas!

same happened to me, I did nothing wrong, the server is simply not working anymore. I wrote to them and no reply, I created another account and it's impossible to reach the mailhost page. I think Spamcop is gone, and I'm using it ... I don't even remember since how many years...

SpamCop will need to toughen up membership criteria IMO

Seems Yahoo have the same problem have done for years and done nothing

Another view: I am reasonably certain that spammers would have used this tactic (joining then trying to flood the service) since day 1. Note that the individual reporting limit has (apparently?) increased greatly over the years, despite that being the defence against being taken down by the tactic. When they try, Don gets lots of data about just which "reporters" are trying it on.

I suspect SC doesn't want to stop them flying into the spider web. I suspect also there was some legacy, spam trap-like reporting channel that nobody was allowed to talk about because it might have been a little bit vulnerable to exploitation but is now maybe gone - conjecture is fruitless and theories abound but another hint of the underbelly, maybe. So yes, some limit on the rate of new joinings would presently be prudent, but I'm sure the staff have worked out all the mathematics in relation to normal capacity.

Only when the processing system goes berserk and brain dead does it impinge on the public (and innocent members get suspended). In other words, I'm suggesting that spammer submissions and the current problems are not the whole cause and effect but "some cause" and unintended/temporary effect. Maybe one of those "blended" attacks or co-operative at least.

So yeah, maybe the the current exigencies (only getting worse AFAICT) require some extraordinary and temporary restrictions and measures to allow some legitimate reporting (and spam trap function) to continue but the "present emergency" won't last forever. Then, "Always welcome, juicy little spammer." But of course I don't know.

Same happened to me, after reporting few spams with timeouts and blank response pages from Spamcop, I have received this email:

[spamCop] Reporting privileges suspended

In the 24 hours starting Mon Jul 9 03:10:51 2012, you have submitted over spams for processing, which exceeds our daily submission limit. No more submissions will be accepted. Your reporting account is disabled. Please reply if you are reporting spam in good faith and feel your account should be reinstated.

My reply to this emails has been ignored for two days.

Yes, that seems to be getting widespread skeptic.

Gathering reports "here" may prove useful towards eventual restoration but the first move should be to send that reply as indicated - even if there is no timely response.

I do not understand.... how long does it take to reformat a server and reload from protected archives?
...My guess would be that there is much more than just this involved, otherwise the problem would have been solved by now.

...My guess would be that there is much more than just this involved, otherwise the problem would have been solved by now.

I see on the reporting page there is an announcement:

The SpamCop.net Reporting Service is scheduled to be offline and unavailablefor approximately two (2) hours

beginning at 10:00 p.m. PDT on Wednesday July 11, 2012. The reason for the outage is to perform database maintenance to

help relieve some of the operational issues currently being exerienced by our users.

Archived