Website Forum spam Attack Reports

gare

Hi, gare,

...What website forum do you have in mind, any specific one? If not and you just mean attacks on any website forum, then my guess from SpamCop FAQ (links to which appear near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page) article entitled "On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop?" heading "spam sent to mailing lists" ("spam sent to mail lists/groups must not be reported using SpamCop except by the list owner.") is that it definitely does not want website forum subscribers to do so. It may even be that SpamCop does not want website forum owners to report attacks, unless those attacks are in the form of spam e-mail. However, you can use SpamCop's parser to help you determine to whom to send a manual report (be sure to cancel the parse when you are done so that it is not actually used to submit a SpamCop report!).

...stopforumspam.com is another possible resource.

gare may have seen a forum spammer in action on these pages, looking at the posting date-time.

Any permanent action against forum spammers requires access to the verified e-mail registration address of the spammer (from hir forum name) which, excepting the occasional incidence of hacked e-mail accounts, is the most reliable indicator of the identity of the perpetrator. That address is very-much a restricted item within the forum records (of virtually ANY forum/bulletin board these days), which limits the feasibility of members being able to offer much assistance, or of SpamCop (either e-mail or reporting side) itself getting into the action. They don't have that access.

However a handful of senior members here (and, I think, SC staff?) can immediately block future posts from a member or subject them to review before general display and they can also move the offending spam away from the view of the general membership (and of "polite" search engines). Eventually, spammer accounts are "banned" with less forum privileges than an unregistered visitor - as also are those accounts which fail to complete the e-mail verification step, so no assumptions should be made based on that membership status. No-one can re-register in the forum with an already-used e-mail address and accounts are never deleted.

The "Report" button here (and in most forums in some form or another) is intended for members to alert the Forum Administrator and/or Moderators to spam activity. That button is presently redundant on this forum.

There are organizations which address forum spam, maintain data, even have links to anti-spam forum applications and resources. If you need that sort of resource, I would suggest stopforumspam.com. Contribution to it is pretty-much limited to Forum Adminstrators (due to the need to supply spammer (user)name, IP address, confirmed registration e-mail address and evidence) but many others use it to search for details/confirmation of notorious spammers.

Would it be feasible for spamcop to set up a reporting venue where we could report attacks on forums? There are plenty of forums to talk about it and cry about it, but I know of no formal means of reporting like here.

[Note from SteveT: merged into this topic from a new topic created in the "SpamCop Lounge" Forum]

Yes, Stopforumspam is the "industry standard" for your particular needs:

http://www.stopforumspam.com

Cheers!

Thanks!!

Exactly what I need. I will continue to report all spam email to SpamCop (simply the easiest way to hammer them) and I will go to this suggested site for forum attacks.

Hi, gare,

...What website forum do you have in mind, any specific one? If not and you just mean attacks on any website forum, then my guess from SpamCop FAQ (links to which appear near the top left of each SpamCop Forum page) article entitled "On what type of email should I (not) use SpamCop?" heading "spam sent to mailing lists" ("spam sent to mail lists/groups must not be reported using SpamCop except by the list owner.") is that it definitely does not want website forum subscribers to do so. It may even be that SpamCop does not want website forum owners to report attacks, unless those attacks are in the form of spam e-mail. However, you can use SpamCop's parser to help you determine to whom to send a manual report (be sure to cancel the parse when you are done so that it is not actually used to submit a SpamCop report!).

...stopforumspam.com is another possible resource.

Good idea(s) thanks!!

Off to forum reporting I go via the suggested link in messages after this

Same answers as your other topic:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...c=13007&hl=

[Note from SteveT: sorry for the self-reference, I merged this reply into this topic from the new topic created by member "gare" in the "SpamCop Lounge" Forum]

Sorry for posting in two places, thank you for merging

Archived