Success and Failure messages

Hi,

Could someone please advise

Early this evening I re-registered an email host because I had forotton to do so earlier after I had changed and my mail was ending up as held mail.

Anyway after submitting only ONCE I received 2 emails,both at the same time the first entitled configuration:error and the second configuration success.

2 questions

1) My new mailhost is now showing up correctly so is it save to assume that all is well.

2) How long will it be before my mail stops being dumped in held mail.

Cheers!

--

Brian

I have no answer for you about your first question.

The only connection between mailhosts and the email system is if you have been reporting your own ISP. If you were the cause of the listing, the IP will fall off the dnsbl a maximum of 48 hours after your last report.

It is possible they are not connected at all and your ISP was listed for another incident. To check, look at the full headers for the valid held messages, specifically the spam-* and spamcop-* ones at the bottom. If you need help reading them, post them here.

Hello Steven,

Thanks for your help.

Here are the headers:

Content-Type:  text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"

Date:  Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:56:46 +0100 [22:56:46 BST]

Delivered-To:  spamcop-net-*****[at]spamcop.net

MIME-Version:  1.0

Message-ID:  <20040603225646.tqc08sww04g8c4gc[at]webmail.spamcop.net>

Received:  (qmail 11993 invoked from network); 3 Jun 2004 21:56:50 -0000

from unknown (192.168.1.101) by blade4.cesmail.net with QMQP; 3 Jun 2004 21:56:50 -0000

from cpanel1.uk.othellotech.net (80.82.140.240) by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 3 Jun 2004 21:56:50 -0000

from [216.154.195.49] (helo=c60.cesmail.net) by cpanel1.uk.othellotech.net with esmtp (TLSv1:RC4-SHA:128) (Exim 4.34) id 1BW0Cg-0006K3-Hf for brian[at]*********.co.uk; Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:56:51 +0100

from unknown (192.168.1.40) by c60.cesmail.net with QMQP; 03 Jun 2004 17:56:47 -0400

from spr1-blac1-5-0-cust124.manc.broadband.ntl.com (spr1-blac1-5-0-cust124.manc.broadband.ntl.com [80.2.115.124]) by webmail.spamcop.net (Horde) with HTTP for <******[at]spamcop.net[at]cesmail.net>; Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:56:46 +0100

Return-Path:  <*****[at]spamcop.net>

Subject:  Test Message

To:  brian[at]*******.co.uk

User-Agent:  Internet Messaging Program (IMP) 4.0-cvs

X-AntiAbuse:  This header was added to track abuse, please include it with any abuse report

Primary Hostname - cpanel1.uk.othellotech.net

Original Domain - *********.co.uk

Originator/Caller UID/GID - [47 12] / [47 12]

Sender Address Domain - spamcop.net

X-Source:

X-Source-Args:

X-Source-Dir:

X-spam-Checker-Version:  SpamAssassin 2.63 (2004-01-11) on blade4

X-spam-Level:

X-spam-Status:  hits=0.0 tests=none version=2.63

X-SpamCop-Checked:  192.168.1.101 80.82.140.240

X-SpamCop-Disposition:  Blocked bl.spamcop.net 

Headers:  Show Limited Headers 

Hope I haven't **** out anything useful.

--

Brian

Hi,

Could someone please advise

Early this evening I re-registered an email host because I had forotton to do so earlier after I had changed and my mail was ending up as held mail.

Anyway after submitting only ONCE I received 2 emails,both at the same time the first entitled configuration:error and the second configuration success.

2 questions

1) My new mailhost is now showing up correctly so is it save to assume that all is well.

Cheers!

--

Brian

Well that is strange -- getting both a success and a failure message -- I assume those were to you returning the probe? Send me your registered SC email address and copies of both messages if you still have them.

With respect to your email showing up in the held mail -- you need to look at the headers to see why the system is sticking them in held mail.

X-SpamCop-Checked:  192.168.1.101 80.82.140.240

X-SpamCop-Disposition:  Blocked bl.spamcop.net 

The IP address 80.82.140.240 (always the last IP inthis list) is on the bl.spamcop.net blocklist. This IP looks like it is your own machine by this line:

from spr1-blac1-5-0-cust124.manc.broadband.ntl.com (spr1-blac1-5-0-cust124.manc.broadband.ntl.com [80.2.115.124]) by webmail.spamcop.net (Horde) with HTTP for <******[at]spamcop.net[at]cesmail.net>; Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:56:46 +0100

Do you run your own server on your broadband circuit and forward it all to spamcop? Do you know if this has been your IP address for a while or if you just picked it up?

You probably were reporting your own host here.

According to the bl information:

80.82.140.240 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

Causes of listing

SpamCop users have reported system as a source of spam about 10 times in the past week

Additional potential problems

(these factors do not directly result in spamcop listing)

Listing History

It has been listed for less than 24 hours.

If it has been your IP for the last week, then your machine has been reported spamming (possibly by yourself). If not the previous user of that IP was spamming.

Your mail was going into held mail because 80.82.140.240 is on the bl. The listing is because you have been reporting the IP yourself, probably because of the forementioned failure to register the mailhost in your account.

The reported spam now parses correctly. I've delisted the IP.

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

Per the Pinned items and even Ellen's instructions in the very Topic, you need to take action yourself if there are any questions .... Deputies <at> admin.spamcop.net with all the particulars she asked for ....

I don't have any questions. I was just offering to help with the problem of success and failure messages and didn't want to send an email to deputies if the problem is already being addressed and no additional info is needed.

If multiple e-mails were sent to configure a mailhost, then sometimes the first one would "fail," but then the next one would succeed, and the system seemed to retry the first on its own. At that point I assume that the mailhost is properly configured, assuming they all eventually got through? I don't understand all this, but I am assuming that a later e-mail gave the system information it needed to figure out an earlier one.

I erroneously asked for a "waiver" for one of my mailhosts, but I think the system figured it out after I returned a couple of the later e-mails for that host. So is there a way to tell the "powers that be" that I no longer need this waiver, or did the system already do that for me, or do I just have to wait it out? I have FINALLY set up all my mail hosts and want to get back to "normal" spam reporting.

Thanks!

Again, the most recent Pinned posts all say the same thing, only Ellen has the answers or will bump it up to Julian. And her popping in here is done only when she's caught up elsewhere, so you might be in for a long wait if this is the only communication you're going to "send" That said, my guess (repeat .. guess) is that the "waiver" is basically a manual database entry to handle that which didn't fly automagically .... to "check things out" .. simply go grab a recent spam, walk over to the "paste-your-spam0in-the-box" web page, insert spam, see what the output looks like. If it flies, you're good. If there's an issue, then follow up on the problems (noting that in reality, you'd want to check the box on that page .. first for the auto thing to submit the next spam, then once again to get the Technical Details to show up ... then you can see all the stuff happening and be sure of what's going on in the parsing ...)

Thanks, Wazoo, for your guess. I'll let you know how it goes just as soon as I get some real live genuine spam :-)

As I said on the other thread, the spam volume is mighty low right now. Where are those critters when you need them?

I could easily send you some, but that would only prove that the mail-host would reject it <g> .. but, if needed, youcan paste in any e-mail, parse it through to see the results, and then Cancel ...

I tried forwarding some of my Hotmail spam to the appropriate address (usually I don't even mess with my Hotmail spam, so there was plenty in my Junk folder), and now I have a new problem: I get these error messages saying Spamcop couldn't find the spam message in my forwarded e-mail! And I have registered Hotmail as one of my mailhosts, so that shouldn't be the problem. Ugh.

Not a Mail-Host issue ... Forwarding from any web-based e-mail system is problematic ... again, set up the switches on HotMail to see full headers, go to that screen, and use the "paste-your-spam-in-the-box" web page to try the parse.

If multiple e-mails were sent to configure a mailhost, then sometimes the first one would "fail," but then the next one would succeed, and the system seemed to retry the first on its own.  At that point I assume that the mailhost is properly configured, assuming they all eventually got through?  I don't understand all this, but I am assuming that a later e-mail gave the system information it needed to figure out an earlier one. 

I erroneously asked for a "waiver" for one of my mailhosts, but I think the system figured it out after I returned a couple of the later e-mails for that host.  So is there a way to tell the "powers that be" that I no longer need this waiver, or did the system already do that for me, or do I just have to wait it out?  I have FINALLY set up all my mail hosts and want to get back to "normal" spam reporting.

Thanks!

There is no way to cancel a waiver but when it shows up, if I don't see anything in your account that says "fix incomplete configuration" I drop you a note that says that I didn't see an incomplete ... it's not a big deal so don't worry about it.

Note: if you want to process a lot of spam and can use IMAP, the fastest way is to create IMAP folders for your Spamcop account on your local client.

Process or delete all mail currently in your held mail folder. (delete can be done within IMAP) and drag all the mail you want to process into the held mail folder.

Then go to your spamcop account using either the VER interface or the standard mail interface (I perfer VER) and either quick report if you are in a hurry or full report if you have the time to go through each one individually.

It saves a lot of time compared to the cut and paste approach.

Thanks for the help everyone. Ellen, I think you will find all is in order. The system is even allowing me to "quick report," so I must have set it all up correctly. When I paste the occasional mail that makes it past the filter, it appears to be reporting only hosts that aren't my own mailhosts. I guess it's hard for you guys to stay one or two steps ahead of most spammers!! Those devils are ingenious at times.

dbiel, your instructions went way over my head. I am computer literate, but I do no sort of programming or anything. Suffice it to say that I understand it will be difficult for the system to extract spam from an e-mail I forward from Hotmail. Since I don't usually deal with that stuff anyway (it's neatly away in my junk folder), I'm happy to leave it there.

Archived