White/BlackList & Filtering

I was looking for more information on Black Lists and came to this posting.

(http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1543 )

White/blacklisting is a mail client rule, so only kicks in if the mail is picked

up through the webmail interface and will override the blocking lists. The

blocking lists are a server rule, so are applied regardless of how you obtain

your mail (unless overridden by a whilelist rule in the webmail interface).

If your statement is actually true it greatly limits the value of your service.

I have been using the e-mail system for filtering out spam for several months and do find it very effective.

I use a combination of IMAP and POP.

I have my primary mail servers forward all mail to my spamcop account where most spam is filtered into the held mail area. The remain spam and good mail is sent to my spam cop inbox.

I use POP3 to transfer the mail from my spam cop account to my local outlook express client where I do additional spam filtering to reduce the inbox clutter.

I check the held mail using IMAP because I totally dislike the way either of the two spam cop interfaces work for viewing mail.

I transfer any good mail I find in the held mail file to a temp folder in the IMAP account. I then delete all old mail (more than 12 hours old). I then move over the the spam cop interface and quick report the remaining new spam.

I move back to the IMAP interface and move the mail from the temp folder back to the held mail area. Returing to the spam cop interface, I white list the mail I have just moved. This seems to work well for me and any mail that has been white listed has not reappeared in the held mail folder.

If I have read your statement correctly, white listing should have no effect. And if this is true it is totally unacceptable to me as it means there is absolutly no way of fine tuning the held mail filtering with out using the spam cop interface as the primary interface which is unacceptable to me, but I am sure will work well for many other users.

As far as reporting spam, after having cleared my held mail folder, I copy all new spam that has made its way into my inbox into the held mail folder via IMAP. I then return to the spam cop held mail interface and queue the mail for full reporting, then move to the reporting interface and process each email individually and scanning the full report before submitting it to avoid accidentally reporting items that should not be reported.

That quote is not true. White/black listing is server based. The original quote should have been the additional filters are client based. These are filters the user can create to move messages around between the various folders on the server.

That quote is not true.  White/black listing is server based.  The original quote should have been the additional filters are client based.  These are filters the user can create to move messages around between the various folders on the server.

I would take Steve's word on this as an experienced user of the mail system. My post was based on information as I understood it, but don't have the applied practical experience with working with rules in system.

Richard

Archived