Phishing from "Spamcop Tech Support team"?

Received the following email from the account stephen.gill[at]hp.com, with the subject "Returned mail: see transcript for details". Attached was a document.zip file that I assume contained some sort of evil payload. Wondering if anyone else received something like this, and wanting to confirm that this is indeed "bad stuff."

Dear user of spamcop.net,

We have found that your e-mail account was used to send a large amount of junk email messages during the recent week.

Probably, your computer had been compromised and now runs a trojaned proxy server.

Please follow instructions in order to keep your computer safe.

Sincerely yours,

spamcop.net technical support team.

You know this did not come from Spamcop, right?

It is most likely a virus which means the "From" address was forged also.

File name: document.zip

Virus name: W32/Netsky.p[at]MM

If you check the headers the received line will give you a clue where it came from.

Turns out that forwarding this to Deputies is not needed .... massive virus spew today, and this is one of the many items being sent out.

13954[/snapback]

Thanks for the followup -- yeah, I figured there was trouble in River City when that one was followed by about another half-dozen variants on the same theme. :blink:

spamcop.net,Jul 26 2004, 02:58 PM]Thanks for the followup -- yeah, I figured there was trouble in River City when that one was followed by about another half-dozen variants on the same theme.  :blink:

I got quite a few viruses today myself, all from the same IP I though I closed down...

Archived