Growing List of FAQs

agsteele

Now I'm getting used to the web forums I can their value and usefulness. The ability to pin FAQ answers at the top of each forum seems useful except that presumably the list will get longer and longer as time goes on. That will, in turn, push posts further down and perhaps eventually off the first screen.

So here's a suggestion...

What about creating some FAQ forums (no discussion just announcements) and simply pinning a link to the relevant forum at the top of the forums for discussion.

Andrew

Now I'm getting used to the web forums I can their value and usefulness.  The ability to pin FAQ answers at the top of each forum seems useful except that presumably the list will get longer and longer as time goes on.  That will, in turn, push posts further down and perhaps eventually off the first screen.

What about creating some FAQ forums (no discussion just announcements) and simply pinning a link to the relevant forum at the top of the forums for discussion.

Andrew

Go read the earliest postings (I'm thinking over in Help??) but day 2 or 3 of this version of the Forums, this is where I started. JT said he wanted to embed them into the Help section (am pretty sure he meant available via the Help "icon") ... JeffG and I discussed (and JeffG went with) the Pinning of items as the only immediate alternative. JeffG doesn't have the power to create new Forums, and JeffT hasn't made his move (that I can see) ....

And again, not that it matters, as I've pointed to the Help button already to answer some questions, and the references to the Pinned items is already a daily action. Still the apparent issue that most folks are either too lazy to read first or have that attitude that their problem is unique and original, so there's no way that the answer could already exist.

OK, over in Help, 23 Jan 04 .. Defnitly time for a FAQ Forum, sheesh!

add in your comments over there and bring it back to the front of the active list <g>

Now I'm getting used to the web forums I can their value and usefulness.  The ability to pin FAQ answers at the top of each forum seems useful except that presumably the list will get longer and longer as time goes on.  That will, in turn, push posts further down and perhaps eventually off the first screen.

Andrew

As you probably know, we already have a faq system running. Richard has been nearly single-handedly maintaining the faqs.

What you may not know is that the faq system we have allows for multiple faq section moderators, and for individual users to have the ability to submit faqs. We've always kept all of that turned off, running all the faqs through Richard.

I've already gotten the system running on a new machine, which will be faster and have other benefits. Once I coordinate with Julian and Richard, we'll switch the existing links to point to the new system. But at that time, I'd like to open the FAQ process up and start letting people submit FAQs directly to the system. We'll just have to see how that works. Maybe we'll start a forum here to discuss the FAQs first, then when a FAQ is complete it can be pushed to the proper moderator.

At that time, we'll probably remove all the FAQs that are pinned. If we need to, we can leave a single topic pinned with a list of FAQs and links directly into the FAQ system for the most common questions.

JT

Archived