im a isp - how to report?

ctek

hi

im a isp and we sort out lots of spams each day. i wanted to participate to the reporting system. i registered as "just reporting", iv got the activation link and i could log in successfully. but where is my email address for reporting? i checked faq and there is written "after login, you will find your special email address to report spam".... any hint?

After you register for the reporting account, the system automaticly send you an email confirmation. The confirmation contains you private email address for forwarding mail to SpamCop.

Note: there has been a recent change in policy that now is requesting that you also enter a user name and password as part of the regisration process.

One final note: When you do forward spam to your special address, that is only the 1st step. You will receive a notifcation back for each spam you report which provides a link for you to finish the process of reporting which starts with the parcing of the spam, your review of the parce and finally your sending out of the reports.

Note: you do not have to click on each reply link. Once you have finished the first one you will be at the input window and will find a link that reads You have unreported spam with a link to "Report Now" or cancel (delete) all pending reports

I hope that this helps

As an ISP I would guess that you would be reporting massive amounts of spam.

The full reporting method is very time consuming. You may want to request a special quick reporting account as well. It is only issued to those who know what they are doing because all mail summitted is automaticly reported resulting in many false reports if you fail to weed out the non spam first. - Bounces are not spam according to SpamCop policy and must not be reported.

Keep in mind that quick reporting is a stripped down version and only reports the source of the spam and does not report any advertised links contained in the spam. If you wish to make the request you need to do so via email addressed to "deputies <at> spamcop.net"

Based on complaints from folks that somehow end up with some bits changing in the database and finding out that they have become "an ISP" ... I'm suspecting that an ISP account is set up to do and handle the other side of spam reporting. My guess is that ctek is going to have to set up yet another account, but not identify it as being an ISP ...

I would think if you were an ISP you would still only be reporting spam from your own account and not that of your clients. You cannot decide for your clients what is spam. For that you need only to use a free reporting account.

Most ISP's do not need a special account unless they want spam reported from them delivered in a special manner as they will receive their own reports automatically.

If you are not in charge of your own IP addresses (you might be renting/leasing) and the spam reports are going to the owner you could be added as an "interested" third party which still does not guarantee you will receive the reports.

I think I am having the same problem for perhaps the same reason which is still unclear to me. I also run an ISP and the registration process tagged me as one. No where did I say I was when I was signing up. And I never received the email with the super secret forwarding account.

An e-mail to service <at> admin.spamcop.net with account data and such to identify yourself as that account holder may get Don to flip some bits ... but, curiosity makes me ask .. is it possible that you used a "role" account name for this account, such that perhaps there's an "automatic decision" thing going on?

A little off topic

I would think if you were an ISP you would still only be reporting spam from your own account and not that of your clients. You cannot decide for your clients what is spam. For that you need only to use a free reporting account.

Couldn't an ISP report customer spam if there were a 'mark this as spam' feature?

Just curious.

Also if a customer chose to not have spam caught by filters delivered, couldn't the ISP also report that? From a 'theoretical' viewpoint since the mailhosts thing would incredible to set up for an ISP with customers to report all spam on hir network, I would think.

Miss Betsy

Also if a customer chose to not have spam caught by filters delivered, couldn't the ISP also report that?

Postini allows for this type of setup and I know several of our employees who specifically block an ex-employee who sometimes sends 10 "helpful" mesages a day, simply so they don't need to read them. Those are not spam and should ne be reported.

To find the "Submit" address to send your spam to, log in and look just above the text box for an address marked, "Forward your spam to: submit.yoursecret code[at]spam.spamcop.net"

ISP abuse addresses can't be used to report spam. For that, ISPs need to register an address with us that is not an abuse address that gets SpamCop complaints.

Sometimes a regular user account will get flagged as being an ISP abuse address by magic. It usually happens when the user sends a complaint to himself as a "user-targeted" report. I can change that if you will write to me at service <at> admin.spamcop.net

ISPs *can* report spam for their users, but they shouldn't because the parse won't know about the user's forwarding services or anything and may tag the wrong server as the source.

- Don -

Archived