Responses to reports

mpbrede

Hi, I guess I initially asked this in the wrong forum, so I didn't get the response I was looking for.

I use spamcop in the following manner:

< spam infested email address> forwards to <secret id [at] cesmail.net> forwards to <even more secret id [at] another ISP>

Now I understand that if I report spam, then all potential responses will be directed to: <secret id [at] cesmail.net> and onward.

For reasons beyond the scope of this discussion, is it possible to set something up so that my "registered address" with spamcop is NOT <secret id [at] cesmail.net>, but another email address that belongs to me?

Alternatively, using forwarding as outlined above, can I filter my mail so that I can filter out emails sent to me as a result of spam reports?

Thanks

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...628entry14628 is your last post that looks anything close to what you are asking ... fair number of responses there. but you didn't really seem to get back and clear things up, much less state that you'd done any research based on those responses.

Kind of loathe to get into another discussion that may not go anywhere again, but ... how about starting with the stuff found under Preferences? Sure seems to be to be a pretty obvious click there ....

For filtering .. here's yet another repeat ... check the FAQ-in-progress first ... then if needed, come back with a specific question.

I would say that you have confused me completely, maybe someone else can figure out what you are saying.

Please define your terms

< spam infested email address> = email address that gets lots of spam?

<secret id [at] cesmail.net> = your personal email address at SpamCop?

in the form of myemailaddress [at] spamcop.net or myemailaddress [at] cesmail.net

<even more secret id [at] another ISP> = your unpublished email address somewhere else

Could be another address at Spamcop if you wanted

my "registered address" = ?????

Now I understand that if I report spam, then all potential responses will be directed to: <secret id [at] cesmail.net> and onward.

Since reported spam is totally independant of a spamcop (cesmail) email account, (you can report spam without having a email account) there is no reason to have responses sent to your spamcop email address <secret id [at] cesmail.net> you can have the reports sent to any address you want.

It seems that while I been writing this Wazoo has made a reply.

The following is from your original post elsewhere

In the mailhosts registration system (http://mailsc.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=mhconf&authcode=*munged*) reference is made to my "registered address". That address is my spamcop email address that I want to keep private and where I don't want to receive any email nor have that address propagated anywhere.

Well, MailHosts has absolutely nothing to due with reporting replies. It is only used to decide who NOT to report because they are actually part of your mail system and therefor have nothing to due with the source of spam.

Also please post a copy of the notice that referenced "registered address" and when you munge the code, do not delete the whole thing like before, replace part of it with "xxxxxx" or with the definition of what it represents ie "my email address [at] cesmail.net" etc.

Wait a minute, I now see a problem. It reviewing the preferences I can not find any place to change the email address reports are sent to.

Reporting preferences

Display Name

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Normally, SpamCop sends reports identified by a simple number. Here, you can personalize your reports with your own name. In either case, SpamCop will conceal your real email address and forward any replies to the numerical address to you. Your Display Name should be a handle or your real name, not an email address.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal copies of outgoing reports

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you wish to receive a copy of every outgoing report, enter your email address here. This should not be your spamcop address. Leave it blank, use your secret address, or another account you own. This is a bcc, so nobody else will be able to see this address. Note this will create a separate copy for each report even if there are multiple reports per spam.

I am wondering if you may be correct that they are automaticly sent to your spam cop email address. There should be no reason that this can not be changed to some different address which is the case in both free and paid reporting accounts which use the exact same reporting software as the email account.

I guess we will have to wait for someone else to clear it up.

Alternatively, using forwarding as outlined above, can I filter my mail so that I can filter out emails sent to me as a result of spam reports?

The problem with filtering is it only works from within the web mail interface. So if you have the mail set to automaticly forward to another account the filters would never be activated. You would have to go into the web mail interface, apply the filters and then have the mail forwarded.

OK, now I'm a bit confused .... http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=wizard&stage=1 shows me an entry point;

Email address

Where would you like to receive email responses from your reports?

Note: Although this will change the email address which SpamCop uses, it will NOT update your username (login). You will continue to log in with the username you signed up with originally.

Not sure what I'm missing, other than there must be several "Preferences" pages .. the one I'm looking at is found on the www.spamcop.net web page ... I've no doubt that the e-mail account side of the house must have additional selections, but technically, the way I understood the question, this is actually a "reporting" issue .. which translates back to Julian's side of the house ...

If I understand you correctly

1.) you submit a spam report.

2.) ISP Replies to spam report and spamcop then forwards it to the email you registered with.

3.) you check your mail and do not want to see these responses, you would rather have sent to a different account so they can be a separate entity (Maybe so you don't report responses as spam?)

Answer: No

Exactly what seems to be talked about. The problem is that this seems to be a one time entry that can not be changed by the user after it as been initially set.

Wazoo I realize that you do not use the email side of the house and therefor do not have access to the preference settings there so I will post them below for you.

SpamCop Tools << Mail Previews | Filters >>

Select your email forwarding, change your password or mail reports.

Select your email filtering blacklists.

Configure external POP servers.

Manage your personal whitelist.

Manage your personal blacklist.

SpamCop Email System Preferences

Account: xxxxxxxx[at]spamcop.net

Expires: 2005-02-19

From here, you can change many of your account preferences.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forwarding Address

Here, you can enter a forwarding address where mail will be sent after it is filtered. If you wish to leave your email on the server, leave this blank.

Note: It is extremely important that if you are forwarding your email to the filtering system, that needs to be a different email address than what you enter here.

Virus Notifications

When you receive an email with a virus, the original email is discarded and a notification can be sent to you.

Check here if you wish to receive these notifications.

Change your password

Enter your old password.

Enter the password you will use for the mail system. Be sure not to lose this password. After your password is changed, you will have to login again.

Please enter your password again.

Held Email Report

You may have an report emailed to you each day listing the new Held Mail you have waiting for you.

Pick the days (if any) you would like the report mailed to you.

Sunday

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Return to SpamCop Tools

The previous was taken from the options tab within the Web Mail Interface

There is a personal information field used to set up various identities but this does not seem to relate to spam reporting at all

The following is take from the Held Mail Interface

Reporting preferences

Display Name

Normally, SpamCop sends reports identified by a simple number. Here, you can personalize your reports with your own name. In either case, SpamCop will conceal your real email address and forward any replies to the numerical address to you. Your Display Name should be a handle or your real name, not an email address.

Personal copies of outgoing reports

If you wish to receive a copy of every outgoing report, enter your email address here. This should not be your spamcop address. Leave it blank, use your secret address, or another account you own. This is a bcc, so nobody else will be able to see this address. Note this will create a separate copy for each report even if there are multiple reports per spam.

Public standard report recipients

If you wish others to receive a copy of every spam you submit, enter the email address here. Please do not send to any address which is not receptive to receiving untargetted spam reports. Note this will create only one copy for each spam, even if there are multiple reports per spam.

Show Technical Details during reporting

Simple output

Show technical data

SpamCop can reveal the logic it uses as it finds the right reporting parties for your spam. This can be helpful for advanced users who want to double-check SpamCop's logic, or for new users who want to learn from SpamCop's example.

"Are you sure?" Prompts

Prompt me - Ask if you are sure when deleting

No Prompts - I always know what I am doing.

SpamCop uses java scri_pt confirmation boxes to ask if you are sure whenever you perform actions which could be destructive. By choosing "no prompts," you can override this often-annoying feature.

Report reply handling

Forward only replies from sentient people

Forward replies from people and robots

SpamCop challenges "administrators" by making them respond to an email to determine if they are people or robots. Only human replies which require action from you are forwarded to your attention by default.

You may override this behavior if you would rather receive every reply, robotic or otherwise.

spam Munging

Obscure identifying information

Leave spam copies intact

Become a "mole" - Don't even send reports (mostly pointless)

SpamCop usually tries to obscure (munge) your email address and other identifying information from spam reports before they are sent. However, some ISPs will not accept this type of report.

If you select munging, SpamCop will not send to ISPs which refuse munged reports by default (you will be given a default-off option when using the web-interface). If you select intact spam copies, SpamCop will send all reports unmodified.

It has become painfully obvious that spammers are able to identify your email address by using tracking codes - even after SpamCop's attempts to munge them. It has also become plain that even the largest and most well-respected ISPs forward complaints intact to the accused.

In response, we now offer the ability to send reports silently. These reports are not emailed and are not available to anyone but SpamCop administrators and will not be shared (except as aggregate counts).

3rd party report default

Send by default

Do not send by default

Sometimes, people other than the ISP as identified by SpamCop have an interest in seeing copies of SpamCop reports (for example, small downstream providers, or users running services on a DSL or cable-modem). SpamCop will offer you a checkbox on the web-reporting form when this occurs. Normally, this checkbox is default ON, but by changing this option, you can alter the behavior of SpamCop so that the default is OFF.

Copyright © 1998-2004 SpamCop.net, Inc., All rights reserved.

HTML4/CSS2 - We suggest Firefox Privacy Policy

OK, now I'm a bit confused .... http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=wizard&stage=1 shows me an entry point;

Not sure what I'm missing, other than there must be several "Preferences" pages .. the one I'm looking at is found on the www.spamcop.net web page ... I've no doubt that the e-mail account side of the house must have additional selections, but technically, the way I understood the question, this is actually a "reporting" issue .. which translates back to Julian's side of the house ...

14827[/snapback]

Actually that is exactly what I was looking for but without the address you posted I could not find any other way to get there. The following is the result of access that address

My NameLog Out

SpamCop Logo

Help Site Map Statistics Mailhosts Report spam

|

Check Mail Held Email Past Reports Preferences

Donate to SpamCop:

Site Search

Powered by Google

Site Style

Default Wide Clean Small Large

Requires cookies

Full Name

When you send spam reports, SpamCop will send them in your name. Please enter your full name or alias here as you would like it to appear on your reports.

Email address

Where would you like to receive email responses from your reports?

Note: Although this will change the email address which SpamCop uses, it will NOT update your username (login). You will continue to log in with the username you signed up with originally.

Copyright © 1998-2004 SpamCop.net, Inc., All rights reserved.

HTML4/CSS2 - We suggest Firefox Privacy Policy

The preference tab indicated at the top pulls up an entirely different data set.

What is needed is a link to the wizard

I wonder why you would want to filter out emails sent as a result of spam reports? Most people see so few responses from report recipients that it is a novelty. Unless you have checked to receive auto responses from abuse desks.

Perhaps you are talking about either the autoresponses (for an email submission which is not a report until you go to the web page and review and send it) Some people prefer to go directly to the webpage and filter the autoresponses to the trash.

Or perhaps you are talking about the 'report' of where reports are sent when you use 'quick reporting' Again, some people have complained and said that they don't want to receive them.

'Result of spam reports' can be taken as very different 'results' ISTM. Also you were orginally concerned about 'compromising' your registered address. There should be no way that your registered address would be compromised with any interpretation of 'results of spam reports' - unless you answer a response from a report recipient without munging your address.

Miss Betsy

So many responses, I'm frankly overwhelmed. But let me try and address all the questions and statements made here.

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...628entry14628 is your last post that looks anything close to what you are asking ... fair number of responses there. but you didn't really seem to get back and clear things up, much less state that you'd done any research based on those responses. 

Kind of loathe to get into another discussion that may not go anywhere again, but ... how about starting with the stuff found under Preferences?  Sure seems to be to be a pretty obvious click there ....

For filtering .. here's yet another repeat ... check the FAQ-in-progress first ... then if needed, come back with a specific question.

I thought that thread went nowhere really fast. Only your initial post had a question mark in it, hence I did not perceive that you and Miss Betsy were really talking about my problem.

As to where my registered address was publicized - nowhere. What I understood is that SC uses my registered address to talk to me or to forward me responses from submitted reports.

SpamCop, http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=mhconf&...z4QvrJCoIwAemrL]

This process will send you a test email with more instructions. Please enter the email address you would like to register. We will of course keep this address in strict confidence. Other than this test email, SpamCop will use only your registered address (*munged*[at]cesmail.net) to contact you.

My question is that when I was a user of SpamCop's reporting service, I could specify what that address was. Now that I'm a user of their email service, I don't get to choose as far as I can tell.

As for the stuff under preferences, I don't see an easy click there to set it - not if I'm a SC email user. And I've just checked again, I can send an additional report somewhere, but I can't specify where responses should go.

I don't know how to certify to you that I have read through numerous FAQs etc. and that I'm asking because I can't find it. So, if the answer on whether filtering works on mail passed through, please show me up and post the URL here. I'll learn my lesson and crawl back in the hole I came from.

dbiel

I would say that you have confused me completely, maybe someone else can figure out what you are saying.

Please define your terms

< spam infested email address> = email address that gets lots of spam?

<secret id [at] cesmail.net> = your personal email address at SpamCop?

in the form of myemailaddress [at] spamcop.net or myemailaddress [at] cesmail.net

<even more secret id [at] another ISP> = your unpublished email address somewhere else

Could be another address at Spamcop if you wanted

You understood me perfectly, my apologies, you did have better terminology than I initially used.

Well, MailHosts has absolutely nothing to due with reporting replies. It is only used to decide who NOT to report because they are actually part of your mail system and therefor have nothing to due with the source of spam.

Also please post a copy of the notice that referenced "registered address" and when you munge the code, do not delete the whole thing like before, replace part of it with "xxxxxx" or with the definition of what it represents ie "my email address [at] cesmail.net" etc.

Wait a minute, I now see a problem. It reviewing the preferences I can not find any place to change the email address reports are sent to.

I only asked the question and mentioned "mailhosts" as that is where I saw the mention of my "registered address"> Refer to the quote above from the SpamCop website.

But I think as you typed you looked it up and saw what I was referring to.

The problem with filtering is it only works from within the web mail interface. So if you have the mail set to automaticly forward to another account the filters would never be activated. You would have to go into the web mail interface, apply the filters and then have the mail forwarded.

Thanks, I think you confirmed my understanding of the filters. In another account that I used to attempt mail filtering, that was how it worked. I ended up filtering the mail, and the last filter then forwarded all my mail. Unfortunately, that ISP did not apply spam filters to mail that was not directed to an inbox on their mailserver, so if one forwarded mail, no spam filtering.

merlyn

No.

Thanks

Miss Betsy

I wonder why you would want to filter out emails sent as a result of spam reports? Most people see so few responses from report recipients that it is a novelty. Unless you have checked to receive auto responses from abuse desks.

I want to receive spam responses and mail from SC and all other things that originate from SC to go to a place I specify, not a place SC determine. That email stream has very specific usages, and if additional mail goes to it as a result of my reporting spam, I will not report spam. Putting that another way, I'd like to be a contributing citizen of SC and report mail, but not if it is to the detriment of a very important email stream

No, I have not checked to receive auto responses from abuse desks.

To mpbrede

My question is that when I was a user of SpamCop's reporting service, I could specify what that address was. Now that I'm a user of their email service, I don't get to choose as far as I can tell.

So much information in this thread that you missed the answer to your questions see post #7 in this thread.

I will also repeat the information (Note: original link provided by Wazoo)

Click on the following link to be able to change the address replies are sent to regarding spam reports. http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=wizard&stage=1

Enter your spamcop or cesmail email address myaddress [at] cesmail.net (delete the spaces) and your password. This will open up the "preference screen" (note: this is NOT the same preference screen you get to if you click on preferences) where you can set or change your address.

Well when I tested the link at work, it opened up; now that I try it at home, all it does is time out.

Additional edit, tested again at home (several hours later) it now opens up.

I guess that is just one of "those" things.

Warning: The use of this link to change your password has NOT been tested. Since the access is via a back door, it may not work correctly and could create additional problems. With out knowing why the link is not provided within the standard interface, it is risky at best to use it until its use can be validated as safe by someone with a better knowledge of the system than me.

Edit

For the same way to make the change refer to the following post

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=14865

Since you are talking about the email service, I am going to drop out because I don't know anything about the email service.

I had an inkling that what you described in your last post was what you wanted, but thought I had remembered that you were concerned about compromising your registered address - which put a different twist to your question.

But don't feel bad about not finding it by looking at the FAQ - if I understand correctly, finding it would have entailed a serendiptious click! Which is often true of the spamcop FAQ.

Miss Betsy

I don't know how to certify to you that I have read through numerous FAQs etc. and that I'm asking because I can't find it. So, if the answer on whether filtering works on mail passed through, please show me up and post the URL here. I'll learn my lesson and crawl back in the hole I came from.

Well, I just searched the new FAQ+ and I believe you have found a missing piece.

I believe this link provides the simplest answer to this FAQ. It should be a good basic start, anyway.

I can't help but continue on with the thought that the Preferences options are also tied to where one logs into ... I specified the www.spamcop.net page as where the "reporting" address came into play .... The Preferences listings where this option isn't found appear to be on the members or mailsc pages .... again, part of the split between Julian's side of the house and JT's portion ....

Webmail & filtering .. geeze .. I started one request for help at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=858 and PeterJ went to great effort on writing up an entry at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1895 ... The "when the filters kick in" and "when applied" have been hit so many times, stated so may ways .. I had last placed a Pinned item over in E-Mail Set-up ... http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1543 .. going with configuring filters as a "set-up" mode .... but also didn't see this as a clear and clean FAQ entry ... The suggested link has good data, but I'm still under the impression that a more complete set-up FAQ needs to be put together ..???

I thought that thread went nowhere really fast. Only your initial post had a question mark in it, hence I did not perceive that you and Miss Betsy were really talking about my problem.

Also had suggestions that were never responded to ....

As to where my registered address was publicized - nowhere. What I understood is that SC uses my registered address to talk to me or to forward me responses from submitted reports.

Which I still find confusing ... if it isn't published, isn't exposed, only used in dialog between you and SpamCop ...??? but question should be answered by now ...

can't help but continue on with the thought that the Preferences options are also tied to where one logs into ... I specified the www.spamcop.net page as where the "reporting" address came into play .... The Preferences listings where this option isn't found appear to be on the members or mailsc pages .... again, part of the split between Julian's side of the house and JT's portion ....

I just logged into the www.spamcop.net site with my paid email reporting login and the preference settings are different that when I log into the same site with my free reporting login.

Free reporting: Hitting preferences brings me to: http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=prefmenu

This site has 3 main links: Report handling options (http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showadvanced) which is the main preferences site for paid email reporting below, Change Password (http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showchangepass), and Change Email address or name (http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=wizard&stage=1)

Paid Email reporting: Hitting preferences brings me to: http://www.spamcop.net/mcgi?action=showadvanced

When I am logged intomy Paid Email reporting account, using the links from the free site do get me to the corresponding sites on the paid site, there is just no link available. Perhaps there is a modification that should be made to the accounts to allow reaching these pages (or perhaps there is a reason they don't want us going there. For instance, I would not try to change my password at that site unless I wanted it different from the webmail password as I don't know how the 2 are linked.

Webmail & filtering

I think the first order of business is to rename some parts of the webmal interface which I think causes so much of the confusion, but that is not doable here. There are 2 Held mail areas (Held Mail Folder inside of webmail and Held Mail web page aka VER) and 2 different sets of filters (the blocklist/personal blacklist/personal whitelist which are as I have worded it "server based" (active without webmail) and the personal, configurable client filters which work only inside of webmail).

The first link (http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=858) has a small blurb about the client based filters, but only mention the "Stop processing" switch.

The second link (http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1895) is only dealing with the server based filters, not the client based filters.

The third link (http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1543) as you say is basically the information, but not in a FAQ format. I will take a shot at creating a new thread for that question and answers in the email forum for input.

Thanks to all that pitched in on this thread to help. Much appreciated. I followed the link posted by dbiel and after a few timeouts managed to get in and change my address on the indicated page.

After that things went a bit fuzzy and I will admit to not having a clear timeline of events, but I received a confirmation email at the new email address. When clicking on the confirm link, I had trouble logging in until I logged into the webmail interface. Three failed logins and a 404 "Not authorized" page with a link took me to the webmail i/f.

I then decided to reset my email account on the page that this thread links to as I was a bit concerned that my SC id was tied to the email address. When I got to the page, my email address was unchanged. It may be that because of the logon failures I never managed to confirm my email change, but after having failed to login with either the new or the old email address, I decided not to mess with things and to leave things as they are.

I'll stop trying to attempt to change my "registered" address, it seems too closely interwoven with my SC identity to allow for easy change.

Thanks again to all.

Oh, and Wazoo, the reason I wanted to change it was not for fear of exposure, more for convenience in receiving the email in a different location.

But, I think, my questions have been answered and I'm not going to mess with it anymore. Along the lines of superstition that says if it ain't broken, messing with it is sure to break it.

Adios.

Thanks to all that pitched in on this thread to help. Much appreciated. I followed the link posted by dbiel and after a few timeouts managed to get in and change my address on the indicated page.

Laughing a little bit, as I'm pretty sure the link you're talking about was the one I posted, dbeil was quoting that post ...

I'll stop trying to attempt to change my "registered" address, it seems too closely interwoven with my SC identity to allow for easy change.

Oh sure, stir a hornet's nest of activity, then leave <g>

Oh, and Wazoo, the reason I wanted to change it was not for fear of exposure, more for convenience in receiving the email in a different location.

But again, you're confusing me about what you are trying to accomplish ... there's your "registered address" .. and then there's the "where to send reports" address (normally the same) .. however, taking your lead, I'm going to drop back and wait for one of the real staff to make their way here and hopefully clear all the smoke out and drop in a good answer to at least a portion of the issues raised here.

For reasons beyond the scope of this discussion, is it possible to set something up so that my "registered address" with spamcop is NOT <secret id [at] cesmail.net>, but another email address that belongs to me?

If you want to send me your username ([at]cesmail address) and the home address you want the mail sent to and I'll change it adminstratively. Write to me at service[at]admin.spamcop.net

- Don -

Archived