I give up -- Singing up

mdunlap541

Please do not tell me to RTFM or flame me because I did not read some obscure posting somewhere. I have spent the last 2 hours trying to find the step I am missing, and now I am tired and just want to ask someone who may already know.

I am trying to sign up for a "free" reporting account. I operate a small ISP in Columbus Ohio and most of the 300+ spams a day I receive are quashed by my customized SpamAssasin. The few that get through, I would like to report to SpamCop since SpamAssassin uses it as one of its checks.

Okay reasoning done.

I signed up for an account at:

http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml

I received the "SpamCop authorization" email with the random password.

I followed the link,

http://members.spamcop.net/

And logged in.

From what I have read in the FAQ I was supposed to get a welcome screen with my own super secret email address for me to forward spam to. From what I think I understand from reading elsewhere, I was also supposed to get a form for me to "copy and paste" a report to. I have neither.

I have buttons for "Help" Which was none for me. "Site Map" which I did not find directions there. "Statistics" which is cool information, but not helpful in reporting spam. "Past Reports", which I would like there to be some, but now way to add there... Clicking on "View Recient reports" returns an error, "Cannot find spam reports for NNNNNN" where NNNNNN is a number which I assume identifies me. "Preferences" that gives me the "ISP Preferences page" which agian I gives me nice options, but none give me te ability to report anything. Another "Preferences" button which has to do with Reporting. "Add routes" and "Show routes".

I give up. Is there really a "free reporting" service or is it just a redherring to lure spammers into giving an email address out? Am I wasting my time? And am I supposed to have a super secret email to send "the ones that got through" to or am I just wishing. Right now, I have a wish in one hand and s$!t in the other and we all know which has more in it.

Thanks for any HELPFUL reponses. RTFM is not helpful.

There are plenty of folk using free reporting accounts.

To be honest I don't remember the process for signing up - it is several years since I travelled that road but free reporting definitely works... at least it did unless there is a temporary issue.

Andrew

The things you are describing should be in the left hand column. In the main body should be s page with the Paste it in box and above that the super secret email address for your messages.

Do you have a pull down anywhere that says Site Style? On my pages, it is below the entries you describe.

There was a design change recently and some browsers have problems with certain of the styles. Also be sure you have cookies enabled.

Other than that, telling us your OS and broser, someone may be able to reproduce your problem. I logged in without problems.

I think I may have found the problem, but no solution. SpamCop may be psychic and figured out I am an ISP when I signed up. What I get is, "ISP Control Center" on the main page. I do not remember telling it anywhere that I am an ISP.

The only Text box I get is one labled "IP address(es): with a button labeled "Action" and a pull down that says "Find Reports" and "Close Issues".

FYI this system is Windows XP Home Edition with IE 6.0 XPSP2 (SP1). And yes I have all of the 4 zillion hot patches applied.

Your SUPER SECRET email link looks something like this:

submit.P7aC92rrFbhA3598uqW[at]spam.spamcop.net

You'll find it on this page if you have cookies enabled and you've selected the cookies login:

http://www.spamcop.net

You can submit spams by using the email link, or you can submit them by copy/pasting them into the text boxes on this page:

and hitting the "PROCESS spam" button.

When I use the email option, I:

1. Open spam email.

2. Reveal FULL EMAIL HEADERS.

3. Forward spam email as an ATTACHMENT to my super secret email address. Submitting by attachment is SUPERIOR to simply forwarding the email. By attachment preserves the full headers and the complete email formatting. Failure to submit by attachment may cause submissions to "wrap" and break the links in the email. Broken links (wrapped links) make it impossible for Spamcop to properly PARSE the email for the spaminators.

4. After I forward the spam email with full headers by attachment to my super secret email address I then have to go to my COOKIES enabled login at

and hit the "REPORT NOW" link.

5. Then I have to click on the "SEND REPORTS" button to finish up the process.

Checking off the "Show Technical Details" may be of interest to you, but it does get tiring after a while.

OK, that's the nickel tour. If you need more details, please ask the graveyard shift. :blink:

PS: I use Pine and my Pine Address Book to submit spam email by email. I can process twenty spams in about forty seconds. Then it takes about 240 seconds to go to the

web page and click on the Report and Submit buttons.

Thank you. At least I now know what I am NOT getting. I do not have the email link and I do not have the process email form. I get an ISP Control center page when I log in at http://www.spamcop.net/. I can not find a tech support page link anywhere. Does staff at spamcop read these things?

PS to your PS, I also use pine and elm for my mail clients and I have downloaded their perl scri_pt for forwarding as an attachment, but with out the super secret email address, I am stuck.

"Preferences" that gives me the "ISP Preferences page"

It sounds like you either tried to register an ISP abuse address or the address you registered got flagged as being an abuse address, which happens sometimes.

ISP abuse addresses can't be used to report spam. Just register another address and you'll be all set.

If you're trying to register a regular address, sent it to me and I'll take the ISP flag off so you can use it.

Write to me at: service <at> admin.spamcop.net

- Don -

I think I may have found the problem, but no solution.  SpamCop may be psychic and figured out I am an ISP when I signed up.  What I get is, "ISP Control Center" on the main page.  I do not remember telling it anywhere that I am an ISP.

The only Text box I get is one labled "IP address(es): with a button labeled "Action" and a pull down that says "Find Reports" and "Close Issues".

FYI this system is Windows XP Home Edition with IE 6.0 XPSP2 (SP1).  And yes I have all of the 4 zillion hot patches applied.

15037[/snapback]

An ISP account cannot be a reporting account. If you send all the details to service[at]admin.spamcop.net including your registered SC email address and tell Don whether you want this to be a reporting account or an ISP account he'll get it straightened out. You can leave this account as an ISP account and register another email address as a reporting address. There are ISPs who also have separate reporting accounts.

• 2 years later...

Hi

I'm administrating a large public network...

I've created an wrong account level on an shared email adress, i want to use to status mails.

The email adress i've created a normal user on should have been an ISP account, now i cannot change an ISP to that email due to the free account on that.

What to do ?

Can i change the level or get the account deleted and try again ?

Regards Karl

I fail to see anything here that relates to a SpamCop.net e-mail address / account. Rather this appears to be a Reporting / ISP account issue which deals with Reports .. therefore moving to the Reporting Help Forum section.

Some of the data involved (besides oh so many previous postings about a Reporting account turned into an ISP account ....)

SpamCop Reporting Accounts

ISP Account

Where to get Help

A "shared" account is really not advisable .. but ....

bottom line, Don/Deputies need to be contacted about changing the account type .. with enough data to verify that 'you' are in fact the owner of that acount ....

A previous Topic with the same issue exists at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2345 .. just one of the many examples ....

Heck with it .. merging this 'new' Topic into that one .. since it is the same data ...

PM sent ... 'moved narker' deleted from the E-mail System & Accounts section ....

Archived