attaching photos

Until a few weeks ago I was able to attach photos to my e-mails. Now it will do it rarely. I do everything the same, it says the attachments are added but when I send it to someone (lately myself to see what the problem is) there's nothing there, no mention of an attachment.

So my question is 1. Is there something on my computer I might have inadvertently messed up to affect this situation?

2. The one time in the past few days that a picture actually showed up when received, it was huge. Is it possible to tell me how to shrink them?

Have not had a problem with e-mail 'til now, thanks to whoever's in charge!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Until a few weeks ago I was able to attach photos to my e-mails.  Now it will do it rarely.  I do everything the same, it says the attachments are added but when I send it to someone (lately myself to see what the problem is) there's nothing there, no mention of an attachment.

So my question is 1.  Is there something on my computer I might have inadvertently messed up to affect this situation?

2.  The one time in the past few days that a picture actually showed up when received, it was huge.  Is it possible to tell me how to shrink them?

Have not had a problem with e-mail 'til now, thanks to whoever's in charge!

16089[/snapback]

Please provide more information

Are you talking about Spamcop email service? If so are you using the WebMail interface?

What operating system and email software/browser are you using?

Yes, Spamcop email service. I don't know what Webmail interface is.

System is Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 1.

Also don't know what software/browser means. Oh, Do you mean the Actiontec DSL Gateway thingie that I connect to the internet through Qwest?

Don't hate me for saying "thingie", I'm ignorant of so much about this.

Thanks for trying to assist.

linda

Yes, Spamcop email service.  I don't know what Webmail interface is.

System is Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 1.

Also don't know what software/browser means.  Oh, Do you mean the Actiontec DSL Gateway thingie that I connect to the internet through Qwest?

Don't hate me for saying "thingie", I'm ignorant of so much about this.

Thanks for trying to assist.

linda

16105[/snapback]

We don't mind helping people who lack experience, we get frustrated with know-it-alls that don't know what they are talking about and insist that they are right while still asking for help.

So I will try to be a bit more detailed in my questions.

Also don't know what software/browser means.  Oh, Do you mean the Actiontec DSL Gateway thingie that I connect to the internet through Qwest?
I am not quite sure what you are refering to here, but I think it might be the hardward device connecting your computer to the DSL interface.

By "software/browser" I am refering to the software used to access your mail

After you have the computer up and running, what Icon (program) do you click on to access your mail. If it is the same program you use to browse the web, it is a web browser (Internet Explorer came with your computer, but there are several others). You might be using an email program such as Outlook Express.

WebMail interface is the SpamCop email program that is accessed using a browser at the following address http://webmail.spamcop.net/ If you click on this link it will open up the log on screen (does it look at all familar? or have you never seen this screen before?

If you could list the steps you take to attach a photo it would help us to understand what is happening.

Be as detailed as possible.

I would also suggest taking the time to read through the FAQ click here to access it. You will find a lot of helpful information about SpamCop there.

Hi. To access my mail I go to the Spamcop website where I type in my name and password, (http://webmail.spamcop.net/) I do not use Outlook Express. I now recall that when I signed up for the internet service I was told I was NOT purchasing e-mail capability (that was 10 bucks more, I think) so I go directly to my log in page for my flat rate account. I get there through Internet Explorer, the blue e.

Steps. I type my address, message, scroll down to Attachments, click on browse, up comes My Pictures. I click on one, which fills in the black space at the bottom of the window, click on the word Open right next to it. The window closes. It is now on the attachment list. Then I must choose attachment or inline. I do so then click on the word Attach. After a short period of time, the page shows the attachments have been added. This is written at the top of the outgoing e-mail. It has worked until about a month ago. So either I messed up something on my computer or it is something with spamcop. Shoot! I just realized I should try this from someone else's computer! I'll try that tomorrow.

Yes, I did read the FAQ, may not have understood it all, but did read it first.

thanks

Somebody please help me out. I keep seeing references that SMTP is not provided via SpamCop. If that's so, and this user states that e-mail wasn't part of her Internet service package, how has any e-mail left the building at all?

Linda --- I can't keep up, actually. You say "flat rate account" ... is this your ISP (Internet Service Provider) or are you referencing your SpamCop Filtered E-Mail account?

Somebody please help me out.  I keep seeing references that SMTP is not provided via SpamCop.  If that's so, and this user states that e-mail wasn't part of her Internet service package, how has any e-mail left the building at all?

Linda --- I can't keep up, actually.  You say "flat rate account" ... is this your ISP (Internet Service Provider) or are you referencing your SpamCop Filtered E-Mail account?

16213[/snapback]

Wazoo, since you do you use the email side it leaves you a bit lost.

SpamCop does offer SMTP service, BUT only when using the WebMail Interface.

If you are using a local client to send mail, you can not use SpamCop's SMTP service

As far as Linda's statement goes, I am lost as well. My understanding is that there is only one level of email service ($30.00/year)

Hi. To access my mail I go to the Spamcop website where I type in my name and password, (http://webmail.spamcop.net/) I do not use Outlook Express
This is the standard webmail interface.
I now recall that when I signed up for the internet service I was told I was NOT purchasing e-mail capability (that was 10 bucks more, I think) so I go directly to my log in page for my flat rate account. I get there through Internet Explorer, the blue e.
The only thing that makes any sense here is that she uses IE to access the WebMail Interface.

SpamCop does offer SMTP service, BUT only when using the WebMail Interface.  If you are using a local client to send mail, you can not use SpamCop's SMTP service

Though technically the web thing may be SMTP, I never really could get myself to call it that. But thanks for repeating what I thought I understood <g>

As far as Linda's statement goes, I lost as well.  My understanding is that the is only one level of email service ($30.00/year)This is the standard webmail interface.The only thing that makes any sense here is that she uses IE to access the WebMail Interface.

Unfortunately, I'm right there with you. There are yet so many other little things that could also be involved .. file size, file type, is her system infected, ..... but didn't want to start throwing things like that out, as confusing as things are already ...

, it says the attachments are added but when I send it to someone (lately myself to see what the problem is) there's nothing there, no mention of an attachment.
So Linda, when you say you forward it to "myself" is this the address you forward it to "Linda's name [at] spamcop.net" or are you sending it to a different address "Linda's name [at] ????????.???"

SpamCop does offer SMTP service, BUT only when using the WebMail Interface.

If you are using a local client to send mail, you can not use SpamCop's SMTP service

Not true. SpamCop allows you to send out through its SMTP server using an IMAP account on your local client; no problem at all. POP accounts are a different matter...

Edit: I have now discovered that the above statement is complete and utter balls. Please disregard.

Linda,

1. Do you have a computer-savvy friend who could download and set up the Thunderbird mail client for you? It would make managing your SpamCop account much easier and more elegant than using webmail.

2. Your camera can probably be adjusted to produce much smaller files for sending by e-mail. For viewing on a computer screen it should be set to maximum compression and 75 dpi (dots per inch) many servers will not accept very large attachments.

3. Don't send photos to anyone not expecting them nor having a fast internet connection. If you send them to someone with a slow connection it can mess up their email in a big way.

Not true. SpamCop allows you to send out through its SMTP server using an IMAP account on your local client; no problem at all. POP accounts are a different matter...

Derek, How do you do that?

Not being an IMAP expert (and following JeffG's FAQ on setting up IMAP) has me using my local ISP's SMTP server for sending messages. To use that, I need to authenticate with POP before sending any message which can be bothersome (usually when I forget to do it first).

Not being an IMAP expert (and following JeffG's FAQ on setting up IMAP) has me using my local ISP's SMTP server for sending messages.  To use that, I need to authenticate with POP before sending any message which can be bothersome (usually when I forget to do it first).

16268[/snapback]

The same source I'm referencing for the "no SMTP" comments.

Derek, How do you do that? 

Not being an IMAP expert (and following JeffG's FAQ on setting up IMAP) has me using my local ISP's SMTP server for sending messages.  To use that, I need to authenticate with POP before sending any message which can be bothersome (usually when I forget to do it first).

16268[/snapback]

<GROVELLING APOLOGY>

I am soooo.... sorry, I have just discovered that I was completely and utterly wrong in thinking I was using SpamCop to send mail. Unbeknownst to me, Mozilla was actually sending it out through the 'default' SMTP, which turnes out to be the SMTP of my mate's machine which needs no sign on on his broadband account. I set up IMAP for my SpamCop a/c on his machine and was able to send: ergo I thought I'd sent it through SpamCop but I was wrong!

</GROVEL>

[Off to say 10 Hail Marys and to Recite the 51st psalm]

Afterthought:

Though Linda may not have an email address and disk-space on her ISP's machines, she might have access to their SMTP server? Worth asking?

Derek, I was also wonder how you could do that.

Unlike Steve, I do NOT have to POP authenticate in order to use Earthlink's SMTP services from my home computer (so for me it is hassle free), but I have no idea if it would be the same when sending from any other computer as I believe that there is some background authentication going on because of my cable connection with Charter Communications.

Steve, have you tried changing your mail setup? I know OE has a check box for

"Outgoing Mail Server"

___ My server requires authentication (with the ability to set to use same settings same as incomming mail server) or use a totally different log on.

Its just a thought and may not work if your ISP really does require POP access first.

Looks like the problem is with the attach file part of your Email.

To troubleshoot:

--Try sending other file types as attachments. Like a Word document or a text file... try many different file types - be sure all are smaller files. See if those get through OK. If these do NOT go through, may have a problem with the SpamCop servers. Can you contact spamcop directly with this?

My best guess is this:

--Make specific note of the size of the Emails you are NOT getting. To do this, check the size of the picture you are sending. As stated earlier, many servers will drop/reject messages and/or strip attachments if they are too big.

Go back through your 'Sent Items' in Email to see what messages were NOT received - find those pictures on your hard drive and record the size of them (right-click on the picture, properties, record file size). Then check the size of the pictures you DID receive and record the size of those as well. See if it is only the LARGER files that are not going through. If this is so, you may need to resize your pictures before sending them.

-- Resizing pictures --

As stated earlier, you can set your camera to create smaller files or...

Use an image editor (Microsoft Office Picture Editor the easiest???) to resize your pictures for Email - I'd say anything 50k - 100k for a pic is a pretty good size. Love some feedback on recommended sizes here.

I am not a user of SpamCop, and have not poked around the Internet much, but it would seem like a good idea to provide a service for auto-resizing pictures sent over Email. :)

:) -Andrew

Hello all.

I'm hoping somebody can helo me with message forwarding...

Every time I try to forward a message that contains attachments, the message goes through but without any of the attachments.

This happens with any account I'm sending to (i.e. private accounts using Outlook as well as Hotmail, etc)

Any ideas why?

Thanks.

Well, it's resolved, but i can't say it's due to anything I did differently. It just works now. I did learn a few things from the discussion, though, and I thank you all for your comments.

Vale, do you follow these steps and after a wait period, does your mail print attachments are added at the top of your page?

Steps. I type my TO address, my message, scroll down to Attachments, click on browse, up comes My Pictures. I click on one, which fills in the blank space at the bottom of the window, then I must click on the word Open right next to it. The window closes. It is now on the attachment list. Then I must choose attachment or inline. I do so then click on the word Attach. After a short period of time, the page refreshes, showing the attachments have been added. This is written at the top of the outgoing e-mail.

Thanks for the kind welcome.

I just re-read Vale's post and I see I read "send" where she actually said "forward", sorry Vale!. I'm still learning to read, I see.

I suppose you could save everything you wanted to send on to someone else and reattach it but what a pain...

Good luck, I know how frustrating it is when you spend extra time trying to make this medium work properly.

I also use Webmail for my email, and have taken to using my other email accounts (Yahoo!, Hotmail) to send attachments. I've used SpamCop for 5 months, and in my experience, the attachment feature is extremely flaky.

Many, many times I've tried to send attachments of various sizes, and I have to include myself on the email just to know whether it was attached or not. Yes, I see the "Your file was attached" message appear before I send the message, but all the same, the file is only truly attached about 1/3 of the time.

It's quite embarassing to send the same file to someone in 3 different emails, because the first two times it wasn't attached when it said it was.

Forwarded attachments seem to work about 1/2 of the time. Again, I just tend to download it and then send the email from my Yahoo or Hotmail accounts, which's annoying as these aren't the ones I usually email people from.

I don't claim to be a know-it-all, but I am a computer programmer, so I know a few things.

I don't know the answer, and I don't know what's wrong, but Linda & vale007: know you're not alone.

For the record, my experience includes using MS Internet Explorer, Apple Safari, and Mozilla FireFox for browsers, on Mac OS X 10.2, Windows 2000, and Windows XP systems.

Therefore, the attachment problems I describe appear to be independent of browser or operating system.

Archived