Correcting a false spam report

victory3x3

(I did look through the FAQ; I did do varying searches throught the forums)

While reporting the 30 or so spams that showed up between 23:00 and 06:00...

The split second after hitting "send report" I noticed a website link in the report was something I'm subscribed to, and tried to cancel, but it was too late.

My question is: What should a responsible person do about this? The mail is already sent, but can I update the statistics/blacklist/database to say, no this is NOT a source of spam?

I sent the SC report numbers and info from "recent reports" to those SC sent them to, and told them it was a mistake. So they know, hopefully, to disregard SC report to them.

They landed in my held box for a reason, and my reporting them-accidently-certainly won't help them get off the suspect list. I'd like to fix this; is there a way?

Thanks

(I did look through the FAQ; I did do varying searches throught the forums)

Where in the FAQ did you look? On the spamcop website or in this forum?

The FAQ in this forum is more updated because the people giving the answers have the control over it.

The answer to your question is specifically answered in the FAQ for the forum (named: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting) under the heading:

How can I unsend a Report?

Send an explanation to the same addresses to which the report(s) were sent, including enough information to identify the report.

If you're the only one who misreported the email as spam, then I don't think it will have any effect on the blocklist.

Where in the FAQ did you look?  On the spamcop website or in this forum?

The answer to your question is specifically answered in the FAQ for the forum (named: Original SpamCop FAQ Plus - Read before Posting) under the heading:

How can I unsend a Report?

17473[/snapback]

I looked through: FAQ off reporting page = http://mailsc.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/285.html but didn't find anything

> ...specifically answered in the FAQ; How can I unsend a Report?

Thank you. Emailing deputies now.

Thank you for the response and I hope you see my response and questions here.

I (and others) have been trying to figure out why people are not seeing the expanded FAQ from this forum.

• The path you too to post your question, did it ever show you the actual Help forum with the pinned items at the top?
  • Did you simply not notice the FAQ+ entry at the top of the forum?
  • Did you figure you had already seen the FAQ (from the reporting page) and were not going to find anything differently in the one on this forum?
  • Is there a way to make to forum FAQ here more visible to someone with a question about the service?

Thank you for any help you can provide to make this more user friendly to the next guest.

They landed in my held box for a reason, and my reporting them-accidently-certainly won't help them get off the suspect list.  I'd like to fix this; is there a way?

Thanks

17470[/snapback]

Care to elucidate? What was ther reason? we may be able to suggest something.

I (and others) have been trying to figure out why people are not seeing the expanded FAQ from this forum. 

[*]The path you too to post your question, did it ever show you the actual Help forum with the pinned items at the top?

Thank you for you nice reply, and honest inquiry.

Yes, actually I did see the pinned FAQs but my reasoning (perhaps wrong) was:

1) I was using Spamcop reporting resources

2) I looked at the Spamcop reporting FAQs on the page that I had questions on

3) When I hit the forums, I thought that those FAQs were probably forum FAQs not Spamcop reporting FAQs...since I thought I had just done that.

[*]Did you figure you had already seen the FAQ (from the reporting page) and were not going to find anything differently in the one on this forum?
Aye, that's it exactly.

[*]Is there a way to make to forum FAQ here more visible to someone with a question about the service?
I'd say dump the legacy FAQs on the Spamcop reporting page if they aren't being updated/aren't support's communication preferred medium, and instead when the user hits the FAQs on Spamcop reporting page have the link dump them directly to the forums, then the the user will "know" they are to look there for the answers. Or provide instruction on the Spamcop reporting page "Hey all answers/support for SC Reporting is done on the forums; so get right over there and start reading; here's the link."

They landed in my held box for a reason, and my reporting them-accidently-certainly won't help them get off the suspect list.  I'd like to fix this; is there a way?

Care to elucidate? What was ther reason? we may be able to suggest something.
Actually maybe I wasn't clear. Somehow my normal SciFi channel news letter landed in the held box, so I presume their IP/block of IPs/or maybe text/subject landed them there. My concern was that if I then made a spam report on them then whatever filter/blacklist caused them to land there, certainly would not improve by a spam report...and having sci-fi blacklisted would be just wrong. :D

Thanks for your answers. I do have some "discussion points" on some of them, but .. what I'm going to do is do up my response, but then move it all that to the actual Forum FAQ discussion. http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2238 .. I'd move your last post there also, but you did include other commentary that would be out of place over there ...

Actually maybe I wasn't clear.  Somehow my normal SciFi channel news letter landed in the held box, so I presume their IP/block of IPs/or maybe text/subject landed them there.  My concern was that if I then made a spam report on them then whatever filter/blacklist caused them to land there, certainly would not improve by a spam report...and having sci-fi blacklisted would be just wrong.  :D

17525[/snapback]

Depending on your filtering settings it could either be that their IP is listed on one of the blocklists that you have selected, or (less likely for a text-only newsletter) maybe it exceded your SpamAssassin threshold. This latter is the only 'content based' filtering that SpamCop uses. Have you recently changed your filter or SA settings?

If you were to post a tracking URL here 'we' would be able to look at the parse and see what went wrong. You can access your 'earlier reports' from the members welcome page IIRC.

You are correct in saying that an extra report wouldn't help if they have found their way on to the SpamCop blocklist, but is that the only blocking list that you are using?

Archived