New system doesn't work

Stickems

Since this new system started I can't send any spam reports. I always get:-

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Add/edit your mailhost configuration

Finding full email headers

Submitting spam via email (may work better)

Example: What spam headers should look like

Nothing to do.

How do I fix this?

What new system?

And the repeated questions for those that barge in and drop some complaint but provide no background what-so-ever ....

Explain what you are doing.

Explain how you are doing it.

Explain what tools, software, hardware, whatever are used to do it.

Explain what type of SpamCop account you may be using.

What new system?

And the repeated questions for those that barge in and drop some complaint but provide no background what-so-ever ....

20171[/snapback]

There are times when I wonder whether there would be greater benefit to all and less frustration to many if there was a way of establishing a query form which required these questions to be answered before someone could post an enquiry. No doubt , though, too many folk would ignore the form and post anyway :(

Andrew

What new system?

Explain what you are doing.

Explain how you are doing it.

Explain what tools, software, hardware, whatever are used to do it.

Explain what type of SpamCop account you may be using.

20171[/snapback]

The new system is the Mail Host system that I recently registered for.

I am trying to report spam.

I am forwarding the spam to the email address provided.

Outlook Express.

I am using the free SpamCop account.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z693429811z0e...beace5db47e243z

Please tell my why the spam in the above tracking URL can't be reported.

20260[/snapback]

Is aamta02-winn.mailhost.ntl.com ([212.250.162.8])one of your mail servers?

If it is you need to add it to your mailhost set up file.

If it is not, then some of the headers may be missing or you are reporting mail that does not belong to you (received from a mail server that you do NOT use to receive mail)

Remember that once you start to set up the Mailhost system, you must complete the process and register all addresses using unique mail servers and all forwarding addresses or reporting will not work properly

Refer to the FAQ for more information.

The new system is the Mail Host system that I recently registered for.

You don't "register for MailHost" .... it's a configuration process of linking your account, e-mail servers, and some incoming flow parameters of your e-mail.

I am trying to report spam.

I am forwarding the spam to the email address provided.

Outlook Express.

Use of OE usually has better results when spam is "Forwarded as an Attachment"

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z693429811z0e...beace5db47e243z

Please tell my why the spam in the above tracking URL can't be reported.

As dbiel and Miss Betsy point out, the "error" seems pretty obvious in the parse result:

Hostname verified: mailhost.ntl.com

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust anything beyond this header

And as this "error" is based on the top-most header line, one can only make the leap that you have not only "not registered for MailHost" .. but you also have not "configured MailHost" for your account.

(BTW: Moved/Merged some of this user's posts)

Hi, Stickems!

The replies, I'm afraid shed no light upon the problem. NTL is one of my mail servers. I have set this mail host up. What do you mean by "configuring MailList" ?

20275[/snapback]

...Not MailList -- MailHosts. If you navigate to http://www.spamcop.net/ and sign in, you should see a "tab" labeled "Mailhosts" near the upper left side of the screen (or just navigate directly to the Edit mailhost configuration page). You may also want to read the "Pinned" items on the Mailhosts System Beta Test forum main page.

...Good luck!

The replies, I'm afraid shed no light upon the problem. NTL is one of my mail servers.

I don't know what else to tell you. You started all this by claiming to have done something that turns to have something to do with a MailHost configuration for your account. Then you start complaining about reporting issues, which per your sample, appears to have something to do with an attempted but apparently failed attempt at a MailHost configutation, which then causes the parsing engine to barf.

I have set this mail host up. What do you mean by "configuring MailList" ?

No idea, as I don't see anyonr talking about a "MailList" anywhere. If you are talking about the MailHost configuration of your account, I think you need to start all over again, as what you've got going isn't flying ....

The replies, I'm afraid shed no light upon the problem. NTL is one of my mail servers. I have set this mail host up.

Per the follwing information from your Tracking URL, if this mailhost is setup as you say, then it is not setup correctly since the machine you received the message from (according to the headers) "is NOT associated with any of your mailhosts".

Hostname verified: mailhost.ntl.com

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Dear Wazoo,

SpamCop has become a bit of a complicated system.

And people having trouble can use a bit of understanding.

Criticizing people for not using the exactly proper technical term is only being argumentative, and you are not helping them to resolve anything. You have developed an ego-exercise where you criticize people for having trouble, after which you drop the ball.

We're here trying to contribute to the Greater Good by reporting spam as a volunteer effort. Forgive us if we're not computer administrators.

Too bad if someone said mailList instead of mailhost. Why does that mean they deserve no help, and then you have nothing to offer except to bitch and moan? For instance, mightn’t it be more helpful to correct the vocabulary, and then take the Customer Service problem to the next step? Then you would be part of the solution. How about getting off of your high horse, and helping people with their problems instead of rubbing their noses in it?

We got problems with spam. We got problems with the SpamCop system. Conversely, those of us struggling to use SpamCop are NEVER the problem. However, if you can rationalize a reason that allows you to believe that SpamCop users are a problem, then you shouldn't be here on the Help forum. Those of us struggling to use SpamCop are NEVER the problem. All you do with your criticizing and sarcasm is to drive people away, and that doesn't do any of us any good.

If peoples' "endless SpamCop problems" are causing you excessive anxiety, how about spending your time elsewhere, for your own good? I recommend stamp collecting for something meditative.

G'night,

-Neil-

I have no idea what you might be going on about. I'm guessing that you are taking exception to the "this Topic is dead" remark ..??? Please take another read of that post. The Topic you are replying in is in the "Help" Forum .. for problems relating to the "reporting of spam" .... which can easily be continued at a later date/time. The issue of the moment is a problem with the MailHost configuration, which is already under discussion in another Topic started by the same poster over in the "MailHost" Forum. So the plan is ... one problem at a time ... once the MailHost issue is resolved, then see if reporting issues become the next problem .. or if the existing problems (within this Topic) go away. I don't quite see a high-horse involved here. I don't see "dropping the ball" .. (again, see the other Topic over in MailHost if you still believe this ...)

I see at least three different posters all pointing to a MailHost configuration issue ... so I'm not sure where you read that my making the same statements deals with attitude, criticizing, rationalyzing, or anything else. The current problem is an issue being discussed in another Forum, in another Topic started by the same user.

I don't recall criticizing anything, just pointing out that MailHost was the discussion point, not a MailList, which is a totally different horse. My response included the words "If you are talking about the MailHost configuration of your account" which should have addressed the probability of a typo ....

The rest of your post, sorry, I haven't a clue where you're gathering your data from. It's actually a bit funny to read your comments (certainly not new points, I must admit) .. and then contrast them to other's input ... for example, a snippet from a PM last night;

Thanks for doing this work. I have read thru that thread you mentioned and I sure as hell hope you don't ever *burn out*!!!!

We need you

Just back from a church fund-rasing supper, a downtown "Main-Street stroll" .. and time spent with the folks and some family .. came home, logged in, read your post, typed up a response, and guess what .. you've not ruined my night, and there are other queries to respond to .. which is where I'm off to now ... please, you have a G'nite also ...

Note added many hours later .... Looking at your previous postings, I see that you took me to task once before about stuff I have no control over ... and also noting you never bothered to post back after my rebuttal (and another poster's attempt at explaining with "the short answer") .... http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1849 Should there be some assumption that you're still ticked at that exchange .. or just go that you rant to blow off some steam and things are OK for a while??

If so, what don't you understand?

I don't understand why Wazoo won't either :

1) Help

2) Bow out

Criticizing people for asking questions is not a third option. There are no stupid questions.

However, according to Wazoo, anyone who asks a question has a screwloose. I would submit that the inverse is true.

However, according to Wazoo, anyone who asks a question has a screwloose. I would submit that the inverse is true.

I don't see where you are getting this idea from. I read every thread here abd while a few of his answers last week seemed to be "cut short" which were later explained, I don't see anything that fits your description.

Please post specific references.

Wazoo is THE person that holds this message board together and gets the most done. He goes above and beyond what he needs to do, often contacting outside sources for people with problems here. Every other responder I am aware of devotes only a small percentage of time here.

I don't see where you are getting this idea from.  I read every thread here abd while a few of his answers last week seemed to be "cut short" which were later explained, I don't see anything that fits your description.

Please post specific references.

Wazoo is THE person that holds this message board together and gets the most done.  He goes above and beyond what he needs to do, often contacting outside sources for people with problems here.  Every other responder I am aware of devotes only a small percentage of time here.

20342[/snapback]

I would have to agree with Steven and also note that he is the second most active poster in the SpamCop forum.

There are no stupid questions.

There may be no stupid questions, but there will be stupid answers if the answerer doesn't understand the question.

I thought that I asked you what you didn't understand about mailhosts - which seems to be the starting place for your problem.

Wazoo is extremely helpful to a great many people. He isn't a 'customer service' person who is trained to deal with difficult people (and many times has more training in that than in how to solve problems - I once got replies from a help desk from 6 different people, all very polite and sympathetic with my plight, but it wasn't until the 7th one answered with a straightforward answer that I actually got help). His range of expertise is extensive and he doesn't want to placate the questioner, he wants to fix the problem.

Miss Betsy

Was the fix based on further dialog with the user (per your last seen comment over in the MailHost Topic) or something that could have been handled days ago, had there been something a bit obvious that it was an easy "Ellen fix" thing?

I don't understand why Wazoo won't either :

1) Help

2) Bow out

20340[/snapback]

Sure, Wazoo probably isn't as helpful as he might be from time to time. Neither am I.

But he does answer many questions. He has offered a great deal of help - including to me at times.

Without doubt he isn't perfect - but he doesn't claim to be.

Conversely there are others who never offer any constructive help to others but complain about the quality of help offered by others.

My sense is that this topic is now one that should be continued in the Lounge since this isn't SpamCop Help.

Andrew

Archived