Configuration order

Ellen explains that you should configure your mailhosts in a particular order. I configured my mailhost before I read her post. Can you say if the order that my mailhosts are listed are the order in which they appear on screen, i.e. the top one first or perhaps the top one last, or maybe something else. The examples given in her posting are for emails that are forwarded, what about mailhosts that are not forwarded, does the order for these matter?

Is there a bug in this awful board software that ignores my request to have replies to my postings emailed to me? I always click Enable email notification of replies, but the replies aren't notified.

From the other postings you've made, it would appear that you have not configured anything, only invoked the MailHost configuration .. thus the parsing engine is failing at step number 1, as your self-admitted e-mail server has yet to be idientified as "your e-mail server" in your configuration. Why you might be talking about seeing a list of things that apparently don't include your e-mail server I can't answer.

The lack of your e-mail notifications od additional postings to Topics you start have been broken as I have moved and merged your many Topics into one, and based on your reporting problems, that is over in the Help Forum.

Here's the premise .. you have some issue .. you try to selct the appropriate Forum to post your query ... hopefully some folks come along that can offer answers and/or suggestions. Further posts from you along the same "issue" should remain within that same Topic, working ar it until that issue is resolved.

I can't recall all that I've done with your posts specifically at this point, but off the top of my head, I'd say that you have "started" at least four separate Topics thus far. As it stands now, you have one running over in Help and now this one running in the Mail-Host Forum. (and ignoring a couple of posts into another Topic that could have been combined into a single post, and even then thinking that your second post there could have been within one of the Topics you'd already started yourself ..???) And yes, it's beginning to look like that it all boils down to a MailHost configuration issue.

You keep saying that you "registered for MailHost" .. how about explaining what you've actually done? For instance, have you yet received (and handled appropriately) a "probe" e-mail?

If you have account A forward to account B and configure mailhost for account A first, it will fail as being a complex configuration (more than one hop at a time).

However, if you can stop the messages at account A and register that host individually, it does not seem to matter which order it is configured. I originally registered an account I used standalone but which I have since confgured to forward through spamcop and the parses work fine without reconfiguration.

As long as all the hosts you use are properly configured, you should be all set.

Please accept my apologies for any posting that I have made in the wrong place. I must also apologise for not having the intelect to enable me to understand yours and the others that have replied to my posts. Because of the "language" that is in use on this board you are excluding ordinary mortals from participating in what is a very worthwhile project to try to eliminate spam. I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful but until you are able to better communicate, people like myself are denied any involvement.

Please accept my apologies for any posting that I have made in the wrong place. I must also apologise for not having the intelect to enable me to understand yours and the others that have replied to my posts. Because of the "language" that is in use on this board you are excluding ordinary mortals from participating in what is a very worthwhile project to try to eliminate spam. I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful but until you are able to better communicate, people like myself are denied any involvement.

20344[/snapback]

At this point it appears that you have only 2 options.

Easy option, stop using the SpamCop reporting system as you seem to lack the knowlege to implement it correctly.

Better option, take the time to read and learn about the subject so you will be able to understand the suggestions. I do not know how Steve could have make his explaination any simpler or clearer.

If you still want additional help setting up mailhost, please copy and paste your current configueration in your next post, see example below. Note you may munge (replace with "xxx") your email address

Mailhost name: SpamCop 
Email address: xxxxxxx[at]spamcop.net 
Hosts/Domains:  blade3.cesmail.net mailgate.cesmail.net bulkmx2.spamcop.net mx.cesmail.net mx2.cesmail.net blade5.cesmail.net blade4.cesmail.net blade2.cesmail.net blade6.cesmail.net blade1.cesmail.net cesmail.net spamcop.net c60.cesmail.net mailgate2.cesmail.net  
Relaying IPs:  216.154.195.50 206.14.107.118 216.154.195.44 216.154.195.53 216.154.195.36 63.247.87.194 216.154.195.49 152.16.199.201  

To sum things up then ... Steven's text picture of two e-mail servers in the mix has you confused, even though you state in one place that you don't have any "forwarded" accounts ... then you have thus far only discussed a single system involved that has yet to be "registered" - based on the parse results.

Then you appear to state that you can't understand my suggestion / query that you actually define what it is that you have actually done in your attempt to "register" something ....

I'm still trying to find "the language" that you are having problems with ... I'm afraid that the "better communication" thing is going to have to come from your side of the screen. At least try to point out what it is that you don't understand.

Because of the "language" that is in use on this board you are excluding ordinary mortals from participating in what is a very worthwhile project to try to eliminate spam. I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful but until you are able to better communicate, people like myself are denied any involvement.

Spamcop is the only place that ordinary people can participate in eliminating spam. But it does still require learning a certain amount about the email process. As an analogy, recycling is also a worthwhile project. However, one has to take the time to sort aluminum from steel cans, different plastics, glossy paper from newspaper. If one can't distinguish between aluminum and steel, then one is not helping by dumping all cans into the same barrel. We collect cardboard in my office. A new employee threw away a box that a stamp had come in because it wasn't a big brown box, so even if distinguishing between aluminum and steel seems easy to you, there are people who just don't understand about recycling.

I am a technically non-fluent user of the reporting system. I followed instructions and had no problem with any of my set up. I have never tried the email system because I didn't want to take the time to figure out about forwarding and popping, etc. When Mailhosts came out, I registered and again there is no problem. The few problems that I have had (and I did have some that probably had knowledgable types rolling on the floor before they answered) were taken care of (without ridicule). I was amazed at what needed to be known about my system, etc. in order for them to answer some questions, but regarded it as somewhat like a scavenger hunt to find answers so they could help me with my problem.

However, not having the time to become an expert, I limit my spam reporting to what I can understand. After all, someone who uses cloth bags for shopping and never learns to distinguish aluminum from steel is also helping the recycling effort. In the same way, using a good content filter (or service like spamcop email) and deleting all the spam is contributing.

Miss Betsy

Ellen explains that you should configure your mailhosts in a particular order. I configured my mailhost before I read her post. Can you say if the order that my mailhosts are listed are the order in which they appear on screen, i.e. the top one first or perhaps the top one last, or maybe something else. The examples given in her posting are for emails that are forwarded, what about mailhosts that are not forwarded, does the order for these matter?

Is there a bug in this awful board software that ignores my request to have replies to my postings emailed to me? I always click Enable email notification of replies, but the replies aren't notified.

20273[/snapback]

It might be easier to discuss this if you send me your registered SC email address and also describe how you get your emails -- i.e. the email accounts that you have and whether or not they forward from one account to another. Then we can work thru what is involved in getting the mailhosts registered.

Archived