smime on webmail

Bernie

(Moved here from news.spamcop.net per Jeff G.'s request)

I have had no luck getting s/mime to work on the IMP webmail client.

Yes, I am using an https connection. I upload the certs, but can never seem to get my passphrase accepted. This, when I have used the same cert and passphrase successfully on other MUA's.

When considering your reply, please bear in mind that I know absolutely nothing about certs, s/mime, or much of anything else!

Best regards,

Internal search on "s/mime" only returns this discussion, which is actually about a Security Certificate, but JT explicitly states that S/MIME should work "if ....." http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...p=678entry678

Not sure if http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1579 would have any bearing on things .... but just in case ...

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...p=678entry678

This was _very_ helpful, as I was trying to import a non-text formatted cert. On this unix box running the openssl was easy to convert to text.

I'm still not there though, and I wonder: the author of the above link wrote as if only *one* file needed to be imported into IMP, whereas the import process for s/mime clearly demands a *pair* of certs, one 'private,' and the other 'public'.

Importing the same thawte-issued 'free personal email cert' as both the public and private doesn't seem to work for me. I have gone to thawte's site and d/l'd their root certs, but I'm not sure that's what IMP is looking for; my first attempt has not worked.

Any suggestions would be tremendously welcome!

Best regards,

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~ericr/horde/smime-overview.php

http://www.horde.org/faq/ -- nothing mentioned

http://www.horde.org/imp/roadmap/

Development Branch Roadmap

The next development branch release will be 4.0.

Next planned release timeframe: None at this time.

Features currently planned for the next release:

Add alias and "tie to" support for addresses in identities.

Moving filtering code out of IMP to INGO.

Much improved MIME message support, including support for most complex message types (e.g. multipart/alternative, multipart/appledouble, multipart/related, text/plain flowed messages, TNEF, ZIP, vCalendar/iCalendar data).

PGP and S/MIME support.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ???????

http://freshmeat.net/projects/imp/?branch_...lease_id=156405

IMP 4.0-ALPHA (FRAMEWORK_3)

Updated: Wed, Nov 17th 2004 08:34 PDT

Changes:

Many MIME content viewers have been added or improved. PGP/GPG and S/MIME are supported. Filters have moved to a separate application (Ingo) and are much more robust. There is full charset/UTF-8 support. HTML message composition is available cross-browser. Messages can be fetched from other accounts into IMP. Message loss during composition due to session timeouts is prevented. Quota support is integrated for many email systems. All attachments from a message can be downloaded to a ZIP file. Attachments can be deleted from stored messages. There are many performance improvements

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~ericr/horde/smime-overview.php

This is another neat find; I've been poking around google meeself.

Here's my problem: The other s/mime-able MUA's I've tried, Evolution2 and Thunderbird, ask for only ONE cert file to be imported. The .pem cert file presumably contains both the private and public keys. This Thawte cert I'm working with has functioned correctly in the two above-named mailers.

But with IMP I can either paste the whole cert in each, public and private keys, requested by IMP, or attempt to cut up the .pem cert file via my mouse and paste only the parts so obtained into IMP's two key boxes. And I haven't discovered yet the secret of that surgery!

Whew. <g>

Best regards,

But with IMP I can either paste the whole cert in each, public and private keys, requested by IMP, or attempt to cut up the .pem cert file via my mouse and paste only the parts so obtained into IMP's two key boxes. And I haven't discovered yet the secret of that surgery!

I hate threads that raise a question but never answer it. <g>

The answer here is that the fix for the problem I described with s/mime certs has been solved via a complete rewrite of the s/mime cert import routine in imp. A few hours spent on the imp mailing list divulged this info last night. The new code is in cvs, so we can await the next upgrade to imp here at SC!

Thanks & Best regards,

Well, i did what research I could do for you .. I couldn't tell you what version of IMP JT has, but seeing that the 4.0 beta had just been detailed, and that PGP and S/MIME was so strongly featured in all the hype .... I've no doubt that JT would not put up a BETA, so no idea how long this wait may turn out to be. I just couldn't find anything that went along with the first Topic I'd referenced here (that said it did work ...) so not sure if there's a plug-in involved or something else.

Then got wrapped up in troubleshooting my father's car. Three days, a handfull of parts replaced, finally found a fusible-link wire "broken" internally (only after discovering that a maintenance manual he'd bought years back actually had wiring diagrams, solving the games I was playing trying to draw my own. I could have had it fixed on the first day had I known that the red wire at the ignition switch received its power via the "broken" orange fusible link wire <g>)

• 11 months later...

I own a S/MIME certificate linked to my email address.

I have the public and private parts on my PGP 9 program.

So I have exported both public and private parts, and then

imported those onto my Spamcop's email account S/MIME options.

When I click on the password link to enter the private key

password, it fails.

I have entered a new password for that S/MIME certificate

using PGP 9, exported again the private and public parts,

imported those onto Spamcop's email account S/MIME options,

and it fails again.

Is there a problem using S/MIME from Spamcop's ?

Is there a problem using S/MIME from Spamcop's ?

35660[/snapback]

I used the search tool I added at the top of this page, used S/MIME as the query bit, checked in the SPamCop Forum & FAQ .... chose this existing Topic/discussion to merge Gilboooo's query into ... sent a PM advising of this move/merge ...

• 2 months later...

When I digitally sign and encrypt an email (or just encrypt) the contents are blank (very secure :) ). When I just digitally sign an email everything works as expected.

Do I need a PGP keys to encrypt an email? Can webmail use my S/MIME keys to encrypt emails?

Send me an email and see what I mean. mtennes AT cesmail DOT net.

Moderator Edit: as in the above post, used the same search pattern, then merged the "new" query into this existing Topic. PM sent to advise of Move/Merge.

Do I need a PGP keys to encrypt an email? Can webmail use my S/MIME keys to encrypt emails?

39604[/snapback]

PGP is not S/MIME .... as the results in the above and other referenced links, S/MIME is functional, but the keys have to be handled / provided in a certain way.

As far as PGP itself goes, please use the same serach tool found at the very top of this page (the 'search' word link will not work here as PGP is only 3 characters long) ... there are a number of Topics within the Forum dealing with successful use of PGP encrypting of e-mail ....

sidenote: search for a PGP public key on "mtennes" didn't come up with anything ...???? Ran a few other search queries using other data, didn'r find a match that way either .. Do you have PGP fully set-up or just running 'private' perhaps?

PGP is not S/MIME .... as the results in the above and other referenced links, S/MIME is functional, but the keys have to be handled / provided in a certain way.

sidenote:  search for a PGP public key on "mtennes" didn't come up with anything ...???? Ran a few other search queries using other data, didn'r find a match that way either .. Do you have PGP fully set-up or just running 'private' perhaps?

39606[/snapback]

I don't have PGP set up at all. Do I need to to encrypte email if I have S/MIME set up? Right now with S/MIME I can digitally sign email, but when I encrypt it (no errors reported) the resulting email is blank.

• 1 month later...
Ibut when I encrypt it (no errors reported) the resulting email is blank.

39755[/snapback]

Did you include the receivers public key into the address book? You have to put in the public key in ASCII format into the corresponding address book entry in the S/MIME field.

Did you include the receivers public key into the address book? You have to put in the public key in ASCII format into the corresponding address book entry in the S/MIME field.

40785[/snapback]

I don't quite understand your posting this here and then 7 minutes later posting ( http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=40787) that S/MIME does not seem to work for you in IMP. Did you test the above or just assume that IMP's config is the same as others you have used?

I don't quite understand your posting this here and then 7 minutes later posting ( http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ndpost&p=40787) that S/MIME does not seem to work for you in IMP.  Did you test the above or just assume that IMP's config is the same as others you have used?

40789[/snapback]

Hm, did I really write S/MIME ist NOT working for me???? It IS working ... I can send and receive S/MIME messages but I have some difficulties when trying to DISPLAY them with the webmail client. The message is decrypted but not displayed fully... If I read them via Thunderbird etc the mail is ok.

So, yes, I DID test it with Spamcop :-)

Hm, did I really write S/MIME ist NOT working for me???? It IS working ... I can send and receive S/MIME messages but I have some difficulties when trying to DISPLAY them with the webmail client.  The message is decrypted but not displayed fully... If I read them via Thunderbird etc the mail is ok.

So, yes, I DID test it with Spamcop :-)

40795[/snapback]

Well, since this thread is about: "smime on webmail, Does smime work on IMP?", not displaying fully inside of webmail, to my eyes, is NOT working properly. Perhaps I am being too literal.

Perhaps I am being too literal.

40798[/snapback]

Maybe :-)

Most of the messages are dealing with problems importing the certificates and the message I answered ws about "Ibut when I encrypt it (no errors reported) the resulting email is blank."

So I only told that BOTH is working for me here. I can import my certificates, I can send mails to external contacts which then can be decrypted without any problems.

The only thing which is currently NOT working for me is displaying correctly an encrypted mail I received. And that exactly is the topic I asked about in my other posting....

Archived