SpamCop cannot filter "strange" characters

showker

Sorry if this is posted to the wrong forum. I posted an inquiry about

"Weird Characters" once before, and other forum people said

Since I didn't give an example, there was no way to respond.

In a search this morning I could not find that post. So, here's

the response...

I've posted an example of the spam which always gets through

See:

http://www.60-Seconds.com/articles/spam_foreign.gif

and note the TOP 4 spams.

I've been reporting these kinds of spams since SpamCop first

opened. But they always return, and they always elude

the SpamCop filters.

1) What are they?

2) Why do they get through?

3) What can we do about them

DISCUSSION:

* I attempted to "Find" on a string in the subject line...

SpamCop reported "Not Found"

So evidently SpamCop software can't recognize the characters.

* I attempted to build my own filter for such characters,

but the filters don't find them.

There are always several each time I log in -- sometimes several

dozen in a 24-hour period.

There should be a way to set a filter for "foreign" characters,

so that all of these could be squashed.

I just wish I had a filter that sends a million requests to the

advertised domain each time one of those hits my mailbox.

And, don't mention anything about "innocent" ... if they were

innocent they wouldn't be sending the rubbish to my address.

:-)

Fred

See: http://www.60-Seconds.com/articles/163.html

Since I didn't give an example, there was no way to respond.

I believe people were trying to get you to submit a Tracking URL so we could see the content of the entire spam.

If you submit thos 4 messages using either the forward link to your submit.* reporting address (for a full report) or using the Report as spam link (for quick reporting) and paste the corresponding Tracking URL you receive back from Spamcop, we can look at those messages and try to help you out.

You also do not mention which filters you have enabled on your account.

The original post referenced is at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...indpost&p=20132 ... and yes, the very next post was JeffG asking for a Tracking URL for examples to look at. And that quick look suggests that the post moved between Forum sections then also .... and that I did PM you about that move ... this post here seems to be a Reporting issue, but suggesting that it was to have been a response to the just referenced discussion?

In a search this morning I could not find that post.

Click on your name, click on "Search Posts" .. you only had 13 showing, so they all fit on one page ... scroll down ..

I've been reporting these kinds of spams since SpamCop first opened. But they always return

Not sure what "return" means in this use ... parse rejects them or that more arrives?

1) What are they?

2) Why do they get through?

3) What can we do about them

Tacking URL to see the 'real' data would help someone to answer those questions correctly. Best guess at some of your graphic includes the probability of Base-64 encoding involved.

* I attempted to "Find" on a string in the subject line...

SpamCop reported "Not Found"

So evidently SpamCop software can't recognize the characters.

* I attempted to build my own filter for such characters,

but the filters don't find them.

One of those Windows issues .. you're ususally set to handle one character set at a time, then you get to add in the mysteries of what gets recognized/translated by other tools .... somewhere 'here' I talked a bit about the fun in trying to work some of this stuff out when trying to set up a connection between a foreign exhange student here and her Mom in the Ukraine ... probably not worth searching for, but just saying that I've been down that road <g>

There should be a way to set a filter for "foreign" characters,  so that all of these could be squashed.

Do a bit more analysis and data-tracking, research the use of the ALT-number pad entry of characters and you may in fact find that you can filter on some of the crap .. notice for instance how many times the character "?" shows up

Although you've been posting over in the spamcop newsgroup, perhaps you're been overlooking postings made by Ivan Leo Puoti about his tool last located at http://www003.portalis.it/115/download/202.102.230.36.zip .... not condoning the actions of this thing, but it seems to fit your desires.

Although you've been posting over in the spamcop newsgroup, perhaps you're been overlooking postings made by Ivan Leo Puoti about his tool last located at http://www003.portalis.it/115/download/202.102.230.36.zip .... not condoning the actions of this thing, but it seems to fit your desires.

21768[/snapback]

Sorry, can't use it. I'm on Macintosh.

Thanks for your other comments.

Archived