select spam to be reported

select "Options"

Select "Show Original"

Right-click in the new browser window, select "Select All"

Right-click in the highlighted text, Select "Copy"

Switch to/Open "your" www.spamcop.net page

Right-click within the box, select "Paste"

Hit the "process spam" button

Verify the parser results, make your selections, send your reports.

E-Mail submittal

At present, it appears to be soooo much easier to configure your GMail account for POP3 access and use your own

e-mail client (OE6 makes this and reporting pretty easy)

or

Login into your GMail account

select spam to be reported

Select "Options"

Select "Show Original"

Right-click in the new browser window, select "Select All"

Right-click in the highlighted text, Select "Copy"

Open up a text editor (NotePad for Windows is fine)

Paste the copied data into the editor

Save this file, preferably using "Save As:" to somewhere that you can find it again (Windows users - Enclose the file name in quotation marks, type in a file name followed by a period followed by 'eml' .. example ... "test.eml" ... the quote marks prevent the file from being saved as "test.eml.txt"

Repeat this for all spam to be reported.

Open up a 'new' e-mail, the To: line to be filled in with "your" SpamCop e-mail submit address

Select "Add Attachments"

Select the (first) spam you saved in the above process.

Repeat to attach all the spams saved in the above, remembering the 50k per spam, 100k per e-mail size limits)

When done, hit "Send"

Your call as to when to delete all those saved spam e-mails on your hard drive, perhaps after you've actually reported them (yes, that's either after you receive the "you have spam to report e-mail" or going to the www.spamcop.net (logged-in) web-site and handling the "Unreported spam" button)

• 4 months later...

Here is the method to report spam to spamcop from a gMail account:

From the webmail, view the source:

1. Open the email you wish to report (most of the times, it's in the spam folder).

2. Click on "More Options" (between the "from" email and the time).

3. Click "Show Original" (last link to the right on the last line of the headers).

4. A new window will apear (if you don't have a popup blocker).

5. Select all the text in the new window (CTRL+A) and copy in the reporting box on spamcop.net.

gMail does not currently permit forwarding as attachments so you cannot use email reporting.

P.S. If you wish to have a gmail account, I have 50 invites. Just pm me :)

Although not using key-shortcuts, does this offer anything different than what I did up in the "How to use .... Reporting" Forum section?

29023[/snapback]

I didn't really look into every section of the forum, I just didn't see this entry in the FAQ section so I added it. I just think it should be added to the FAQ just as yahoo and hotmail are there. :(

Of course, it may be far easier for some people to just move the spam to their Inbox, POP it to their mail client on their desk or lap, and report from there. I'm currently POPping my Gmail and leaving on server.

I didn't really look into every section of the forum, I just didn't see this entry in the FAQ section so I added it. I just think it should be added to the FAQ just as yahoo and hotmail are there. :(

29029[/snapback]

OK, you've got me straddling a few barrels there. You did a great/good thing by jumping in and doing the work to provide a new FAQ entry. However, in this case, dang, dang, dang ... The Forum FAQ points back to the www.spamcop.net FAQ for the "How do I get full headers?" entry, which then splits out to various applications. Pointed in in numerous places, that FAQ is not accessible but to a couple of people, and the care and updating of that FAQ has been an issue since it was created. On the other hand, the Forum FAQ is already a monster, so not sure I really want to add those e-mail apps as additional pointers directly into that FAQ. I believe what I'm going to end up doing is modifying the Forum FAQ to include a reference "See the How to Use ... Reporting" Forum for some tutorials ... move/merge this entry into the one I had already done for GMail there (as you offer an alternative keyboard-shortcut method

Of course, it may be far easier for some people to just move the spam to their Inbox, POP it to their mail client on their desk or lap, and report from there.  I'm currently POPping my Gmail and leaving on server.

29042[/snapback]

And in that "How to" I did for GMail, that was my starting point for trying to build a "How to submit via e-mail" version ... a question actually asked over in the newsgroups.

• 5 months later...

I think I posted my post in the wrong thread here:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...t=0entry36629

when I intended it to be in this thread. I'll reproduce it here through the magic of copy-and-paste:

Ebay has this page on reading headers:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-un...il-headers.html

and it links to the spamcop page on header-reading for different email programs here:

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

IMHO, it would be a Good Thing to add the gmail header-reading instructions to that Spamcop page. I've already contacted haltabuse.org about the same thing missing at their page.

I think I posted my post in the wrong thread here:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...t=0entry36629

when I intended it to be in this thread.

Haven't looked at this other post yet, but I find the thought process a bit confusing .. This Forum section is described as How to ... Tutorials, Instructions, etc .... which this post does not actually provide.

Later Edit: found your other post and changed that situation ... most definitely not understanding the logic used in deciding where to post these (duplicated) entries.

IMHO, it would be a Good Thing to add the gmail header-reading instructions to that Spamcop page. I've already contacted haltabuse.org about the same thing missing at their page.

36630[/snapback]

And this suggestion would indicate that you've not read any of the background battles and issues in trying to get "a SpamCop FAQ" in place .... and this is not the Forum section to dredge all that up ....

• 11 years later...

I don't foresee myself doing the above for the multiples of spam messages my domain receives.  Not realistic.

Since I moved my domain to Gmail/Google Apps recently, perhaps an alternative method here is to load up a local IMAP client (ie: Mutt) with a macro, then connect to the Gmail/spam mailbox that way.   But the above just isn't realistic for those who receive a lot of spam.

5 hours ago, Lking said:

<snip> Often recommended is the combo of Thunderbird and HabuL as an addon.

Works well for me, not just for gmail, but for email accounts with other providers as well.

Archived