Suggestion: Whitelist based on subjects

hhp

I belong to a variety of mailing lists that use a polite subject but use the original sender as the envelope-from rather than the mailing list. In general, I don't want to whitelist all of these senders as some of the tech lists have high turnover and the members are not personally known to me.

I would love the ability to search for the mailing list tag in the subject line of my email messages and forward based on the fact that this tag exists. I know that this is not perfect given that spammers are putting weird [stuff] in subject lines, but if it matched on my specific mailing list tags, I think I'd get more valid stuff through than invalid stuff.

Is this too cumbersome for server performance? I know subject scanning can be done in sendmail, for example, but not sure if it adversely affects performance given the volume of mail spamcop is servicing.

I belong to a variety of mailing lists that use a polite subject but use the original sender as the envelope-from rather than the mailing list. In general, I don't want to whitelist all of these senders as some of the tech lists have high turnover and the members are not personally known to me.

In nearly every case, either the Return-Path or Sender: header will be constant or have a constant part, even when the From: is set to the original sender. Take a look and see if that isn't the case for your lists.

JT

The following may help:

From http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/306.html :

How do I whitelist yahoo groups?

Yahoo Groups mail should have a Return-Path header that looks like ...[at]returns.groups.yahoo.com

In order to pass all Yahoo Groups mail through to your inbox, add "returns.groups.yahoo.com"

(without the quotes) to your whitelist.

Archived