Gmail Invitations

Google's Gmail email service is still in invitation-only beta testing, and Gmail users are limited in the number of invitations they can send. Here's how this Topic will work:

• Person A wants an invitation, and so posts a "Please invite me" Post.
  • Person B (already a Gmail user) responds "I'll invite you, PM me your email address."
  • Person A PM's their email address to Person B.
  • Person B invites Person A's email address to join Gmail.

Please note that both people's email addresses will be revealed to each other.

• 3 weeks later...
Updated the "GMail - How to Submit" entry in the "How to Use ... Reporting" Forum ...

28886[/snapback]

What's the URL of that post? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
I'll invite you, PM me your email address.

29696[/snapback]

TWFarrington PM'd me that he had already gotten an invite from a friend. Oh well.

• 4 months later...

I've got several dozen invites available as well if anyone needs any. Just PM me an email address to send 'em to and I'll get 'em right out as soon as I get the PM. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Please Invite me

35974[/snapback]

Not sure what's up .... user posted exactly the same over in the spamcop newsgroup .. same IP address, different e-mail addresses involved .... prodigy, yahoo, hotmail all invoked between these two posts ....???? invite request 'here' could make sense, newsgroup post is out of the blue, no reference to anything else ...???? Timeline wise, posted here first ... newsgroup post made less than 20 minutes later ...

• 2 months later...

GOOGLE GMAIL ACCOUNTS HAVE BEEN OPEN TO ANYONE FOR ABOUT TWO MONTHS!

Go to the Create A Google Account - Gmail page. You must have a cell phone. It does not have to be yours because the number is not used again by Google.

The instructions are pretty simple from there. Just request an authorization code be text-messaged to your phone. It arrives. You're in.

Anyone with a Google Gmail account can also send anyone an invitation. They're pretty generous with them also. My friend currently has 98 to offer. Everytime he sends one out, they seem to give him a few to replace it.

:google:

Big Bold Red letters making a statement that is then caveated by the next paragraph ...?????

Anyone with a Google Gmail account can also send anyone an invitation. 

39423[/snapback]

Hmmm, kind of matching up with the Topic Title ...??? No sure I'm following the whole intent of this post ...

Go to the Create A Google Account - Gmail page.  You must have a cell phone.  It does not have to be yours because the number is not used again by Google.

39423[/snapback]

Hi LouMessina!

Thanks for this heads up. When this thread started in June 2005 this wasn't the case so it is helpful to be reminded of more recent developments. The cell phone process is only available in North America so for the rest of us in the world I guess the invitation route still stands as the only option. But as you say, once you are a member you can invite others. I seem to have reached 100 invitations available :D

Andrew

Big Bold Red letters making a statement that is then caveated by the next paragraph ...?????

Hmmm, kind of matching up with the Topic Title ...???  No sure I'm following the whole intent of this post ...

The thread was full of posts of people requesting invitations. There was no posted message about the fact that accounts are open.

Perhaps if you read the entire post, you might have picked this up:

... Go to the Create A Google Account - Gmail page.  You must have a cell phone.  It does not have to be yours because the number is not used again by Google.

The instructions are pretty simple from there.  Just request an authorization code be text-messaged to your phone.  It arrives.  You're in ...

The cell phone process is only available in North America so for the rest of us in the world I guess the invitation route still stands as the only option.  Andrew

I was trying to enlighten everyone to an option that does not appear in the thread. If someone from outside North America tried getting anyone they know in North America to get the verificatiion code for them, I believe that would work. I assume the North America limitation refers to the cell phone number since people globally have Google Gmail accounts. If it didn't work, to someone who has no access to invitations, it's a viable suggestion.

Nonetheless, I feel the information of how to get an account, independent of anyone else's assistance, is applicable to most people in this forum.

Perhaps if you read the entire post, you might have picked this up:

39467[/snapback]

Hmmm, had I read the entire post ?????? I specifically remarked on the caveat in the following statement;

... Go to the Create A Google Account - Gmail page.  You must have a cell phone.

Doesn't quite agree with the word "ANYONE"

That there was then a second "challenge" to the same word ....????

Had you simply announced that this new access was available, provided the link, that would have been great.

Hmmm, had I read the entire post ?????? I specifically remarked on the caveat in the following statement; Doesn't quite agree with the word "ANYONE"  That there was then a second "challenge" to the same word ....????  Had you simply announced that this new access was available, provided the link, that would have been great.

Absolutely amazing! I can only interpret your bizarre use of English to express some disjointed complaint that "anyone" is improperly used because of a later reference to having a cell phone.

Moderator Edit: link to an off-site 'smilie' was removed

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived