E-Bay Phishers

dra007

All of a sudden I am getting 10+ e-bay phishers/day. Strangely I never had an e-bay account. Parsing them shows sources all over the place which suggests they may be virus generated...Am I alone seeing this?

28582[/snapback]

...No, you're not alone! :) <g>

Getting a few in the antipodes too. I stopped manually reporting the phishes (to them) when they stopped handling them direct and brought in that fancy "toolbar" thing instead - not having an account it's no good to me. I see the toolbar has gone from their "Security & Resolution Center Tools" on the "Security Center" page (unless it only comes up when logged in?), but there are still pages for FAQs etc. Maybe I blinked, but it looks almost like the toolbar has receded from the front line? Anyway, eBay seem to have their own ideas on how to handle phishing, which the phishers are treating with their customary contempt. There again *nobody* handles phishes with the dispatch and resolution for which I would have hoped.

• 7 months later...
All of a sudden I am getting 10+ e-bay phishers/day. Strangely I never had an e-bay account. Parsing them shows sources all over the place which suggests they may be virus generated...Am I alone seeing this?

28582[/snapback]

Only 10+ per day? You're lucky.

I'm getting a ton and the most frustrating part for me is the PayPal & eBay phishing scams are the only ones slipping through SpamCop lately.

Anyone know why? My filtering is already very tight- All the Spamcop DNS Blacklists are turned on and my SpamAssassin is set to "2".

I stopped manually reporting the phishes (to them) when they stopped handling them direct and brought in that fancy "toolbar" thing instead - not having an account it's no good to me.

28592[/snapback]

I have an account and I don't use the ebay "toolbar" either, to invasive. They also changed from taking phish as an attachment to only taking reports as "forward." Without the original header they are only counting them. I still send phish to reportphishing [at] antiphishing.org

I report phish attempts (one at a time, inline) to reportphishing[at]antiphishing.org, spoof[at]millersmiles.co.uk, nophishing[at]cbbb.bbb.org, and submit[at]phishcop.net, plus the appropriate addresses (such as spoof[at]ebay.com and spoof[at]paypal.com) per "Spoofing" or "Phishing" for banking or credit card data.

Archived