ISP Procedure - Adding a Mail Server to Mailhosts

Quick reporting is an ideal solution for my needs.

30242[/snapback]

...But not for everyone -- for many of us, it greatly increases the probability of reporting our own ISP or e-mail provider.

30243[/snapback]

That probability/likelihood is greatly enhanced when the reporter doesn't configure Mailhosts correctly or the reporter's ISP changes mailserver names or IP Addresses willy-nilly without notice or regard for the implications for SpamCop's Mailhosts feature and the ISP's userbase in common with the SpamCop Reporter userbase.

The ideal procedure for an extremely responsible ISP to follow would be to put the new server into nearly-prodution testing (it accepts email for the ISP's userbase but isn't advertised in any MX Record(s)), ask a SpamCop Admin to add it to the ISP's Mailhosts, wait for the addition to happen, and only then put it into production.

I reposted this from Block and whitelist our domain in the SpamCop Lounge Forum.

...But not for everyone -- for many of us, it greatly increases the probability of reporting our own ISP or e-mail provider.

30243[/snapback]

That probability/likelihood is greatly enhanced when the reporter doesn't configure Mailhosts correctly or the reporter's ISP changes mailserver names or IP Addresses willy-nilly without notice or regard for the implications for SpamCop's Mailhosts feature and the ISP's userbase in common with the SpamCop Reporter userbase.

The ideal procedure for an extremely responsible ISP to follow would be to put the new server into nearly-prodution testing (it accepts email for the ISP's userbase but isn't advertised in any MX Record(s)), ask a SpamCop Admin to add it to the ISP's Mailhosts, wait for the addition to happen, and only then put it into production.

<snip>

30258[/snapback]

...Yes, it would be ideal if every e-mail provider in the world managed their MX environments as SpamCop expects. However, I really don't expect them (especially my employer's network admins) to know or care about SpamCop's expectations. :) <g>

Archived