help! cannot attach files towebmail messages!

hello, I'm new to SpamCop and I'm very happy with it wow... I intend to keep using webmail instead of mail clients such as outlook... but I have a problem...

though many times I've double checked for the correct way to attach files to message, the recipient gets a plain message with no attachment

I browse to select a file on my computer, then I click on the "attach" button. at this point everything seems to work, it takes a little time,as if the file was actually being loadad... next the page is refreshed on the browser, and the file name and size appear in the message "attachment" section.... in the lower window...

Is everything ok? NO! when I send the message (even to myself) it has NO attachment at all!!!!

I've tried with nearly any type and size of file....

please advice...

thankyou

Note: the most likely source of your problem is the failure to complete last step in attaching the file. This is something that is very easy to do because it seems redundant.

Steps to attach a file

1)click on "Attachments" icon (upper right corner of menu bar)

2)Attachment screen appears show boxes for 3 separate files

3)type in file path and name or use "browse" to search for file

4)to the right of "browse" is a drop down box that defaults to "attachment" the other choice is "Inline" (accept the default or change it to "Inline"

Note: you can attach up to 3 files at a time (to do more you simply repeat the process) There does not appear to be a limit on the number of files that can be attached but there is a limit on the maximum combined file size that can be attached which is indicated as (Maximum Attachment Size: 2,097,152 bytes)

5)Click on the "Attach" button to actually attach the files (this is the step that is frequently missed)

6)The next display will show the file size of each attachement and includes options to change it from "attachment" to "Inline" or "Inline" to "attachement"; a check box to delete the attachement; and an option to included a description of the attachement, if desired (can be left blank)

You can continue attaching 1,2,or 3 files at a time until you reach the max file size.

Note: combined file size is indicated at the bottom of the list along with the following link "Update Attachment Information"

You need to click on "Update Attachment Information" to actually delete any files that you have "checked" for deletion

5)Click on the "Attach" button to actually attach the files (this is the step that is frequently missed)

No, sorry, that's not the problem, I've always pushed the "attach" button after having selected the files, please consider that the problem occurs also with a single file, and the file is clearly transferred from my computer, I0m sure about that for two reasons:

first; after clicking on "attach" the system takes a while to display the following page, this time is depending on the file size, it is evident that is actually readfing the file from my computer.

second: here's an example; a "cut & paste" text-only of the attach section AFTER clicking on the "attach" button, you can clearly see that the small text file has been added to the final list along with its size.

File 1: Attachment Inline

File 2: Attachment Inline

File 3: Attachment Inline

(Maximum Attachment Size: 2,097,152 bytes)

1. asdf.txt (text/plain) Size: 1.03 KB

Disposition: Attachment Inline

Description:

Delete?

Total Attachments Size: 1.03 KB

Update Attachment Information

well, this file was NOT there at the recipient mailbos, nor the message would signal any "attachment stripped" or anything like this, simply NO attachments!

Neither is it a matter of the POP3 recipient's server or client that cuts away attached files.. the problem is more serious and mysterious....

I don't know what a "FAQ brewing" is, I'm not english speaking and apologize for that, but I'm sure I'm not what's called a dummy about handling mail, and this problem is a real hassle.... I can0t figure out...

thankyou all for patience...

I don't know what a "FAQ brewing" is, I'm not english speaking and apologize for that

31515[/snapback]

By "Is that a FAQ Entry brewing?", I meant to give dbiel a veiled hint to create the Topic he named How to attach files. I'm sorry that the veil was so thick. He caught the hint. :)

No, sorry, that's not the problem, I've always pushed the "attach" button after having selected the files, please consider that the problem occurs also with a single file, and the file is clearly transferred from my computer, I0m sure about that for two reasons:

31515[/snapback]

Back to basics .... you've not stated what browser is in use for instance.

The other referenced discussions suggest "sometimes it doesn't work" but your statements suggest that "it never works" .... need to figure out what's making that big of a difference.

Also for testing purposes, please include your SpamCop address as a BCC to check to see if the attachment makes it internally but some how drops off externally, or if they just totally drop off.

I know that you did mention that it happens even when you send it to yourself, but you did not indicate if the address used is one that gets forwarded to SpamCop or was the SpamCop address.

Thank you for detailing the last step (I am going to use it in the FAQ)

1. asdf.txt (text/plain) Size: 1.03 KB

Description:

Delete?

Total Attachments Size: 1.03 KB

Update Attachment Information

I am a bit confused by the following line:

It should read

Disposition: Attachment

or

Disposition: Inline

not both (or are you simply indicating the choices still available in the drop down box?)

One other posible testing method would be to send a message to yourself with an attachment, submit to for reporting (NOT quick reporting) and post the tracking URL (remember to cancel the report)

Thankyou for mentioning that English is not your primary language.

Back to basics .... you've not stated what browser is in use for instance.

The other referenced discussions suggest "sometimes it doesn't work" but your statements suggest that "it never works" .... need to figure out what's making that big of a difference.

31533[/snapback]

I'm usimg Internet Explorer 6 under Win XP, could it be a matter of cookies?

I've set the browser to ask before accepting cookies or running applets, though I saw no prompting for cookies or anything like that when using spamcop webmail...

Unfortunately you are right, so far all my trials to send files have failed... :-(

thanks

Thank you for detailing the last step (I am going to use it in the FAQ)I am a bit confused by the following line:

It should read

Disposition: Attachment

or

Disposition: Inline

not both (or are you simply indicating the choices still available in the drop down box?)

31539[/snapback]

dbiel, whenyou cut/paste from most spamcop web pages, all options in the pulldowns get copied. I have seen the same phenomena when copying the mailhost configuration page for instance.

I'm usimg Internet Explorer 6 under Win XP, could it be a matter of cookies?

I've set the browser to ask before accepting cookies or running applets, though I saw no prompting for cookies or anything like that when using spamcop webmail...

Unfortunately you are right, so far all my trials to send files have failed... :-(

thanks

31540[/snapback]

And just to let you know, I have never had an attachment not be delivered in all my testing of this problem. It does seem to be local configuration or individual account dependant.

I asked adolfo.melilli for more data via PM. Account data was provided but appears to be something lost in translation, as I can't log in with what was provided. I believe we're waiting for timezones to cross right now ....

New PM, new attempt. I logged in to that account, composed a new e-mail, attached a small .jpg ... sent to "myself" CC: to a non-spamcop adolfo.melilli address. Had my OE pop GMail and am in receipt of an e-mail from adolfo.melilli with a small .jpg attached. Wating now for thie rest of this attempt to be confirmed by adolfo.melilli's receipt of the same e-mail/content.

OK, we have a small problem ... I have received another e-mail allegedly from adolfo.melilli from a SpamCop e-mail account. However, this one had an attachment (identified as a midi file, but I don't execute unkown files) ... so the catch is, what happened if this e-mail really came from adolfo.melilli ... I made no changes to the account, simply logged in and went to "Compose" ... when 'Sent" I closed the browser (then deleted the cookie, history, etc.) So do "we" go with 'problem resolved' or user has moved from the 'never works' to the 'sometimes works' grouping ? <g>

another e-mail allegedly from adolfo.melilli from a SpamCop e-mail account

31587[/snapback]

Did it come from the same or a similar IP Address as he's been using to post here and for other emails?

Sorry .. forgot that this Admin has no sense of humor ... all e-mail details were good .. it was just that there was an attachment successfully glued onto it ... which had been previously described as "never happens" ...

• 1 month later...

Brought here, as received via a PM;

Many thanks for your time with this message. I've enjoyed using your bug-free service as my main email for many months. However tonight I encountered a big problem with trying to send photos for work. NOTE I always size photos to 100 res, 6 inch print size, so the size should never have been an issue.

Number one, spamcop appears to be limiting me to 3 attachments. I seem to recall being able to attach more than that provided they were all sized properly. Nowadays, I'm given "browse blanks" for files 1-3. After accepting the upload without apparent difficulty, instead of being offered blanks for files 4-6, they are still file 1-3 blanks, and they wipe out whatever was attached as previous files 1-3 if I use them in trying to get more added.

Then tonight, a major issue that appeared to get worse as I retried: checking my sent-mail file, I saw that two of seven emails I sent to a client (with 3 pics each) did not evidently have the attachments on them (per the KB size), and I ended up having to use hotmail after 3 tries with one of these emails. Notably, I tried both inline and attachment with spamcop, and also tried naming the pics and hitting "update attachments". But whenever I clicked to 'update' the attachments, the page reloaded with nothing attached.

Not sure why 5 out of 7 of these went without a hitch, nor why I seemed to have spotty service with the final two, and finally repeated dropping of the attachments until I gave up and turned to hotmail to get the job done. MANY THANKS FOR ANY TIPS ON THIS ISSUE...!

:blink:

PM sent to advise that the PM query was moved to the public forum.

As far as tips go ..??? As seen in the previous posts, my attempts at this, even using the actual user account data, has always 'worked' ...???

I would appear that the OP is failing to finish the attaching sequence.

The initial input screen does only allow for three attachments. They must be actually attached to the email, then you can attach 3 more (input screen will still be numbered 1-3 (when they are attached they are renumbered in an incremently sequence) but the input screen is always numbered 1-3. If the browse window has not been cleared by the system and the attachments are not listed below then there is a problem, either in usage of the system by the OP. or if the usage is correct then a new problem in the system.

See FAQ How to attach files, Step by step instructions

Note, I was unable to test the problem in that right now when I try to attach files and press the attach button I was transfered to an error message 'page could not be displayed', but when I went back for a third time to try to check the error message for exact wording, it worked that time.

Minor correction:

After clicking on Attach the following will be displayed at the top of the screen:

Message Composition

Added "xxxxxxxxxxxx" as an attachment.

Added "xxxxxxxxxxxx" as an attachment.

This area will only list the last 1-3 attachments that were just attached.

Note "as an attachment" will be displayed regardless of how it was attached ie

as attachment or Inline. At the bottom of the screen all of the attached files will be listed in the numberical order that they were attached.

Follow-up PM;

Many thanks for your time with this message.  MANY THANKS FOR ANY TIPS ON THIS ISSUE...!

Moved this to an existing Topic in the Forum .. now found at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4679

SORRY TO CONTACT YOU THIS WAY BUT TRYING TO REPLY TO THAT STRING JUST BRINGS UP AN ERROR MESSAGE THAT I'M NOT 'AUTHORIZED' TO REPLY? Guess I need to learn more about using this method to report buggy issues? Normally I find a support email address to report issues but I guess spamcop would be inundated with people who just don't know how to use the system.

Looking at your 'member status' ... you have not yet followed through on the registration process, specifically the validation e-mail links. The registered address is seen as a spamcop.net address, so it should not have been 'lost' ??? Strangely enough, the only e-mail error showing in the log files for the day you registered is the PM notification to me on your first PM.

I'm confident that I was attaching the pics correctly; it is pretty simple and I've made my living with this type of work for a decade. This morning I wondered if the issue was happening only with my husband's XP Pro platform. But tyring to send a test message with my own Win 98 machine is just bringing up the 'can't display page' error that this string references, so no cigar right now... Will try again later but am thinking that this is a legitimate issue with using the spamcop system. SAY IT ISN'T SO! I'M RELYING ON YOUR SYSTEM MORE AND MORE!  ;)

PM sent to advise of this move ... but noting that once again there's the lack of other complaints flowing in at present ...

OK, details were passed, I used them to log in, sent an e-mail with attachment to "me" and CC: to user .... my copy arrived just fine. Noted that the original complaint went on to talk of multiple attachments, so went back, logged in again, and repeated the process with 5 attached pics. Again, my copy arrived with all attachments. IE6 under 98Se used in both attempts, 'identity' changed on the second attempt, not sure what else to try, other than mentioning that 2Meg limit identified in another discussion.

Archived