Russian spam

Our business email addre sis being flooded by Russian spam, despite being filteredd through Spamcop.net first. I csan't report the spam using webmail as the messages are forwarded to our mail server, so the offending messages do not stay on the server. I have now started reporting the spam through my own "attachment fowarding" spamcop account, but it still keeps coming. WHy does this Russian spam keep coming? Is Spamcop not geared to remove this kind of rubbish from European business accounts?

Rgds

Martin

You might be able to improve your catch rate by selecting more DNS blacklists and adjusting your SpamAssassin threshold downwards. You can change these settings in Options --> SpamCop Tools --> Select your email filtering blacklists.

You are doing the right thing by reporting all spam that makes it through the filter. If you and others report enough of these spams, their origin IP addresses will be automatically added to the SpamCop blacklist, regardless of where they are located and regardless of the language of the spam.

You are doing the right thing by reporting all spam that makes it through the filter. If you and others report enough of these spams, their origin IP addresses will be automatically added to the SpamCop blacklist, regardless of where they are located and regardless of the language of the spam.

31782[/snapback]

Can't I just say I want no Russian language mail? I can't read it anyway ;-)

Rgds

Martin

Note: I also get a lot of Russian spam and have all of the BL's selected.

The problem is that it comes for too many different IP's

For a quicker way of reporting a lot of foreign language spam (or any spam for that matter) that has been forwarded to your local inbox try the following:

Set up IMAP as a separate link to your held mail.

Clear out (delete) all mail in the held mail folder (you can skip this step if you want)

Move all the foreign language spam from your local inbox to your IMAP SpamCop Held mail folder (click and drag). It takes it off your local machine and moves it back to the SpamCop server. No need to forward as attachement.

Then log into either the VER interface Held Mail or log into Web Mail and select the Held Mail folder

Select all or only those specific messages you want to report.

VER gives you the option of quick reporting or full reporting

WebMail only allows for quick reporting.

VER gives you the option of quick reporting or full reporting

WebMail only allows for quick reporting.

31812[/snapback]

Actually, that last sentence is incorrect.
To "Queue for reporting" from Webmail, forward to your submit.16charANcodeNMBR[at]spam.spamcop.net address.

736[/snapback]

Actually, that last sentence is incorrect.

31814[/snapback]

Jeff, you forgot to read the context.

Why not simply forward as attachment from the local client.

To move the mail to held mail via IMAP and then forward it to a submit to address is a total waste of time.

To that extent, the WebMail interface is no different than any local client interface in that to full report you must forward the mail to a submit to address. Note: same file size limits apply to WebMail as to any local mail client.

To carry your logic a bit farther, you would also have to say that you can directly execute full reporting from any mail client that allows forwarding since the actual feature being used is "mail forwarding" not "spam reporting"

In my book, that is not a full reporting option within WebMail and functions totally differently than quick reporting within WebMail where you simply click on "Report as spam" (which I believe is confusing in that it leads me to believe that I am doing full reporting when in reality it is only quick reporting with no method to validate - except after the fact).

Where as the VER interface executes quick reporting and full reporting the same way, select the approprate command from the drop down box.

Just not to be confussing, full reporting always requires the next step of processing the reports, reqardless of how you sent them.

Archived