Why is email to my spamcop account bouncing?

czei

My customers haven't been able to send email to my company for days, and I can't figure out why since spamcop won't let me login. After much searching I found this forum.

So, if this is the place to get customer service, if someone could explain why my service has been cutoff I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Michael Czeiszperger

Web Performance, Inc.

And my login id is czei<at>spamcop.net.

33208[/snapback]

Where are you trying to login? I would assume an ISP type account from your description.

If your customers can not email you, it would be because something on your end is blocking them, perhaps using the bl.spamcop.net or some other bl. It could also be a configuration error on your end.

Where are you trying to login?  I would assume an ISP type account from your description.

If your customers can not email you, it would be because something on your end is blocking them, perhaps using the bl.spamcop.net or some other bl.  It could also be a configuration error on your end.

33209[/snapback]

I've been logging in almost every day to make sure no customer email is inadvertantly caught in the spam filter. I have no idea what an "ISP type account" could be.

From the logs it appears that email to czei<at>spamcop.net is being rejected:

The original message was received at Mon, 26 Sep 2005 12:43:02 GMT

from web33504.mail.mud.yahoo.com [68.142.206.153]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<czei<at>webperformanceinc.com>

(reason: 550 sorry, no such user here (#5.7.1))

----- Transcript of session follows -----

... while talking to mx.spamcop.net.:

>>> DATA

<<< 550 sorry, no such user here (#5.7.1)

550 5.1.1 <czei<at>webperformanceinc.com>... User unknown

<<< 553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)

>>> RSET

<<< 503 RCPT first (#5.5.1)

The problem could be in the mailhosts configuration for the czei<at>spamcop.net account, but that would be impossible to check since my login has been disabled for some reason.

Since my email started bouncing the minute the account was disabled, the logical conclusion is the two things are related.

*EDIT* modified yet more email addresses posted in the clear

I've been logging in almost every day to make sure no customer email is inadvertantly caught in the spam filter.  I have no idea what an "ISP type account" could be.

33212[/snapback]

Sorry, I did not nitice this was posted in the email forum. It is then an email account you are logging into.

From the logs it appears that email to czei<at>spamcop.net is being rejected:

33212[/snapback]

a ) Please stop posting your email address in these forums as it is captured by at least some of the search engines and spammers can use it to send you more spam.

B) Please look closer at the reject. The message is not being sent to czei<at>spamcop.net, it is being sent to <czei<at>webperformanceinc.com>

I have no idea why anyone would be trying to send this to the spamcop servers.

webperformanceinc.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = webperformanceinc.com

webperformanceinc.com nameserver = ns1.secure.net

webperformanceinc.com nameserver = ns2.secure.net

webperformanceinc.com internet address = 198.66.222.147

ns1.secure.net internet address = 192.220.124.10

ns2.secure.net internet address = 192.220.125.10

The problem could be in the mailhosts configuration for the czei[at]spamcop.net account, but that would be impossible to check since my login has been disabled for some reason.

33212[/snapback]

The mailhost configuration os not in play here as that is a reporting only function and not related at all to the email side of the house.

Since my email started bouncing the minute the account was disabled, the logical conclusion is the two things are related.

33212[/snapback]

Those two are probably related in some way as your <czei<at>webperformanceinc.com> could be forwarded to your czei<at>spamcop.net account but the error message from webperformanceinc.com should indicate that. To find out why your email account was disabled, please contact support<at>spamcop.net. If my assumptons are correct, you can access your email by having webperformanceinc.com direct your messages elsewhere in the meantime.

Final post--

My best guess at this time is the $30 I paid two months ago wasn't assigned to the right account, and my account was simply turned off. The same thing happened the previous time to renew.

Since this is the 3rd time this year my company's mail has been disrupted I have no choice but to discontinue use of the service and ask for my money back. While spamcop works it works great, but to have customer service cause my business to lose email 3 times in one year is simple incompetence.

Michael Czeiszperger

Web Performance, Inc.

You are certainly welcome to request a refund. Please forward your spamcop.net email address and the following quote to service at spamcop.net, along with details about your original charge (a copy of your receipt email will do nicely) and details of where to send your refund for the time remaining until your account's expiration (you did read about the refund, didn't you?).

While talking to mx.spamcop.net...

RCPT TO:<czei[at]spamcop.net>

550 sorry, no such user here (#5.7.1)

553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)

Jeff, did you get your quote from your own logs?  Or am I completely losing it today?

33225[/snapback]

I also sent a test e-mail with the following (non-log) type results;

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

czei <at> spamcop.net

Technical details of permanent failure:

PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 sorry, no such user here (#5.7.1)

Jeff, did you get your quote from your own logs?  Or am I completely losing it today?

33225[/snapback]

Sorry for any confusion. I manufactured the first line (for munging and compression purposes) and took the rest of the quote from SSW's onscreen log.

Sorry for any confusion.  I manufactured the first line (for munging and compression purposes) and took the rest of the quote from SSW's onscreen log.

33236[/snapback]

Then I'd have to repeat StevenUnderwood's confusion. (Although getting my own rejection notice verifies that the end result is the same)

OK, here's a more detailed quote from SSW (example.com is munged):

09/26/05 12:52:34 SMTP Verify czei[at]spamcop.net, at mx.spamcop.net

Contacting 216.154.195.53

220 mailgate2.cesmail.net ESMTP

HELO example.com

250 mailgate2.cesmail.net

VRFY czei[at]spamcop.net

252 send some mail, i'll try my best

EXPN czei[at]spamcop.net

502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

Doesn't want to talk to us

RSET

250 flushed

MAIL FROM:<abuse[at]example.com>

250 ok

RCPT TO:<czei[at]spamcop.net>

550 sorry, no such user here (#5.7.1)

553 sorry, that domain isn't allowed to be relayed thru this MTA (#5.7.1)

451 timeout (#4.4.2)

Doesn't want to talk to us

RSET

QUIT

SOCKET_ERROR

Quit wasn't accepted... Odd.

Archived