FAQ Entry: Forwarding "As Attachment" From OE6

Jeff G.

Forwarding "As Attachment" from OE6 (Microsoft Outlook Express version 6) is generally the best way to Report your spam from OE6 if you don't have a SpamCop Email System Account (if you do have such an Account, just drag the spam message(s) to your Held Mail mailbox/Folder). "As Attachment" is extremely important, as SpamCop's Parser can't do anything with OE6's four-line Header Set - it needs full Headers, including Received Header Lines. The following step-by-step instructions will walk you through the process.

Requirements:

1. A system running Windows and OE6
  2. A SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service Account and an associated Confidential Submit Address (submit.16charANcodeNMBR[at]spam.spamcop.net)
  3. Reporting privileges in good standing (please do not tempt fate by attempting to Report if your account is not privileged enough to do so - you should come to an agreement with a SpamCop Admin first)
  4. One or more spam email message(s) you wish to Report

Instruction Steps:

1. From the OE6 Message List, select the message you wish to Report (multiple messages can be selected with Shift-Click, Ctrl-Click, etc. as normal in Windows).
  2. Select the OE6 "Message" Menu.
  3. From the OE6 "Message" Menu, select the "Forward As Attachment" Item.
  4. If you are forwarding multiple messages, you may also select Forward from that Menu, use Ctrl+F, or use the "Forward" Button, as those actions default to "As Attachment" when multiple messages are selected.
  5. Send the message to your Submit Address submit.16charANcodeNMBR[at]spam.spamcop.net (easiest if you have a shortcut for that Address in your Address Book). You can send the message to any of your Confidential Submit or Quick Addresses.
  6. Wait for the Tracking URL which will let you Report that (or the first) message either in a reply email "SpamCop has accepted 1 [or more] email for processing" from SpamCop AutoResponder <spamcop[at]devnull.spamcop.net> or as the "Unreported spam Saved: Report Now" Link on your SpamCop Parsing and Reporting Service webpage.

Edit: 2005/11/09 14:22 Jeff G. added "Steps", split Step 2, and added Step 6.

Edit: 2005/11/09 14:32 Jeff G. added the importance of "As Attachment".

Edit: 2005/11/09 23:42 Jeff G. included his changes from FAQ Entry: Forwarding "As Attachment" From Webmail and added quotes to the "Message" Menu.

Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to detail the routine. I started using forward just after getting my "fuel" two weeks ago.

Most of the stuff I report gets through which is great, makes me feel good to take the time to 'carry the fight'.

I am sometimes amazed at the number of reporting addresses the daemon pulls up when I complete the report.

Go get 'em!! ;)

Edit: Jeff G. removed the extraneous quoting.

Archived