Mailhost System Configuration

Followed the mailhost configuration steps and now can't report spam at all..

Have 2 email addresses - one hotmail and one work - and put them both in, but now can't report on either

Not a techie person and don't understand all the technical jargon - just someone who spends a lot of her life on the internet and is happy to help fight spam

Could you please tell me how to get spamcop to work again..?

Thanks

Sewaterman[at]hotmail.com

Followed the mailhost configuration steps and now can't report spam at all..

Have 2 email addresses - one hotmail and one work - and put them both in, but now can't report on either

Not a techie person and don't understand all the technical jargon - just someone who spends a lot of her life on the internet and is happy to help fight spam

Could you please tell me how to get spamcop to work again..?

Thanks

Sewaterman[at]hotmail.com

40214[/snapback]

What types of errors are you getting when you try to report?

A tracking URL would also help us to see what you are seeing.

What types of errors are you getting when you try to report?

A tracking URL would also help us to see what you are seeing.

40215[/snapback]

Thanks ! Curiously, my work email - suewaterman[at]interconinsurance.com spam now works just fine, but my hotmail reads

SpamCop v 1.517 Copyright © 1998-2005, IronPort Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z872217195z25...0df3f82e66ed94z

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

Add/edit your mailhost configuration

Finding full email headers

Submitting spam via email (may work better)

Example: What spam headers should look like

Nothing to do.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thnaks

Nothing to do.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thnaks

40274[/snapback]

When forwarding from hotmail, make sure to select forward as attachment, otherwise I believe that it either mangles the email headers or removes them entirely.

Parsing header:

0: Received: from ksbsvoais.com.nl ([219.148.8.149]) by bay0-mc7-f9.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Wed, 8 Feb 2006 21:01:09 -0800

No unique hostname found for source: 219.148.8.149

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust anything beyond this header

Please add your MSN Hotmail email address to your Mailhosts.

Please add your MSN Hotmail email address to your Mailhosts.

40282[/snapback]

Had already done that, but just to be sure went back and did that again. Got a success message so tried to report a spam and got

SpamCop v 1.517 Copyright © 1998-2005, IronPort Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z872457240z51...696b3fd52c127fz

Nothing to do.

Again....

Had already done that, but just to be sure went back and did that again. Got a success message so tried to report a spam and got

40287[/snapback]

And when you go to your MailHost tab when you are logged in, you see hotmail as one of your entries? This would seem to need to be brought to the attention of the deputies[at]spamcop.net with "Mailhost problem" in the subject.

And when you go to your MailHost tab when you are logged in, you see hotmail as one of your entries?  This would seem to need to be brought to the attention of the deputies[at]spamcop.net with "Mailhost problem" in the subject.

40290[/snapback]

Interestingly no - it just takes me through the process of adding another entry. Am going to try Jeff's technical details suggestion on one of tomorrow mornings crop of spam and we'll see what that produces

Thanks you so much for your suggestion

Please try again, this time showing Technical Details.  For info on how to do that, please see the third paragraph of How Do I Show Technical Details?.  Thanks!

40294[/snapback]

OK - turned the technical details on and will try reporting again in the morning when the overnight spam comes in. Strange - never thought I'd be waiting for spam...

OK - turned the technical details on and will try reporting again in the morning when the overnight spam comes in. Strange - never thought I'd be waiting for spam...

40298[/snapback]

Sleep well, then!

Life: what happens while you're waiting for the next spam message to report, or while you're waiting for the reporting system to come back online. :)

Interestingly no - it just takes me through the process of adding another entry. Thanks you so much for your suggestion

40296[/snapback]

If your hotmail account is not listed, then you will keep getting the error message any time the message passes through hotmail. Either you are notcompleting the registration (which you seem to have done fo your other account, or there is a problem only the deputies can help you with.

Sleep well, then!

Life: what happens while you're waiting for the next spam message to report, or while you're waiting for the reporting system to come back online. :)

40299[/snapback]

Well it certainly adds more detail to the message, as in -

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z872945095z64...a479a29a11fdbcz

Skip to Reports

Received: from wfwuygush.ca ([219.148.2.24]) by bay0-mc2-f11.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Thu, 9 Feb 2006 23:44:32 -0800

Received: from km.chotread.net (HELO mail.chotread.net) by softtread.net with SMTP; Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:44:21 -0800

Received: (qmail 24050 invoked from network); Thu, 09 Feb 2006 23:44:21 -0800

X-Message-Info: p0XQEyrgD+Zxo1Zn19+JMI6hgT259OKDDFh82yDytik=

X-Mailer: MIME-tools 5.41

Return-Path: uysdnvbug[at]wfwuygush.ca

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 10 Feb 2006 07:44:32.0384 (UTC) FILETIME=[D4AB8800:01C62E15]

Content-Type: text/plain

X-SpamCop-note: Converted to text/plain by SpamCop (outlook/eudora hack)View entire message

Parsing header:

0: Received: from wfwuygush.ca ([219.148.2.24]) by bay0-mc2-f11.bay0.hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.211); Thu, 9 Feb 2006 23:44:32 -0800

No unique hostname found for source: 219.148.2.24

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust anything beyond this header

Nothing to do.

Meanwhile my work email adress seems to be working fine. Really don't want to have to forward all my hotmail spam to my work email for obvious reasons ...Is it that the system just doesn't want me to have two email adresses ?

Sue

Part, at least, of the problem appears to be the blank line in the headers. See the following with my added line X-Problem: ********* submission had blank line here ********* in http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z872970214z35...d1eafbc1da179fz

Hopefully the Deputies or someone will have a solution (because you can't modify a submission and then send a SpamCop report - though you could use the parsing for a manual report)

HTH

I'm coming in late, have read all the preceding, and I'll admit to some confusion.

HotMal is saud to be a provider. No data in any of the headers appear to tie into a SpamCop.net server, so we cross that off the list.

There have been a couplf og suggestions on how to deal with "forwarding as attachment" bia HotMail, though noting no one ponted to an existing FAQ entry that does a bit of step-by-step. (Ueah, I know, that's my thing ..)

However, from whay I see in the samples I'be looked at, which I think are the same as what everyone else has been looking at .... I don't think an e-mail submittal is involved at all. On the other hand, the real description of the actual spam submittal process has not been talked to, not the tools involved.

Yes, there is a blank line in the headers which screws everything up. My problem.queston is asking why I'm also seeing the line; X-SpamCop-note: Converted to text/plain by SpamCop (outlook/eudora hack) in all of the samples provided.

If Outlook was being used to "look" at a HoMail screen, then the instructions offered in the FAQ also need to be looked at so as to get full / complete headers as one, complete package.

If HotMail contents are being inserted into an Outlook InBox, then I'd say the instructions for getting what comes close to being a "full, complete set of headers as one complete package" also need to be looked at.

That the "converted to text" line is showing up immediately after the last header line 'prior' to the extra blank line suggests that the two-part Outlook/Eudora work-around form is being used to paste-in-the-spam .. and if so, there would appear to be something going wrong in the cut/paste operation ....

Farelf's suggestion / sample does appear to solve the "blank line in the wrong place" problem .... but the headers on all of these just look wrong to me .... the order of some things is just out of whack. This technically should have nothing to do with the MailHost Configuration of a Reporting Account, but .... I have some serious naggings going on when I'm looking at these samples ....

Sue, you appear to be submitting your spam messages via the "outlook/eudora workaround form". Why are you doing that? Would you please try submitting one via the "all-in-one submission form" instead? Thanks!

Sue, I'm afraid you're going to have to contact a SpamCop Deputy about this, via deputies[at]spamcop.net.

40329[/snapback]

Dumb question - do they have names or do I just send 'em an email at deputies[at]spamcop.net ?

Can I cut and paste this dialog and send that or ?

Thanks so much all your help in trying to resolve...

Dumb question - do they have names

40375[/snapback]

Yes, they have names - please see SpamCop's System & Active Staff User Guide for details.
or do I just send 'em an email at deputies[at]spamcop.net ?

40375[/snapback]

That would be best.
Can I cut and paste this dialog and send that or ?

40375[/snapback]

You could just refer to this Topic's URL http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5930 when emailing from or referring to the email address you use to login to SpamCop.
Thanks so much all your help in trying to resolve...

40375[/snapback]

You're welcome.

Sue, you appear to be submitting your spam messages via the "outlook/eudora workaround form".  Why are you doing that?  Would you please try submitting one via the "all-in-one submission form" instead?  Thanks!

40337[/snapback]

Before emailing a deputy tried using the all in one submission form and got

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z873733798z10...b320906da4cad1z

Skip to Reports

Sent : February 10, 2006 9:43:52 PM

To : <slian71[at]hotmail.com>

Subject : ScrewMePlease View entire message

Parsing header:

No tracking information found in header:

Sent : February 10, 2006 9:43:52 PM

To : <slian71[at]hotmail.com>

Subject : ScrewMePlease Probably not full headers - see FAQ:

Email software FAQ

no header

I'm technically totally inept and struggling to keep up with a few of the posts - but it doesn't look all that diffferent to me. ..

Before emailing a deputy tried using the all in one submission form and got

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z873733798z10...b320906da4cad1z

I'm technically totally inept and struggling to keep up with a few of the posts - but it doesn't look all that diffferent to me. ..

40382[/snapback]

Well, at least this one includes some data that tends to support what I said in one of those "other" posts" ... I still haven't seen where you answered any of my questions, thoughts, and concepts ... but with the following showing in this last sample;

From :  brenda wallz &lt;meimhsiidf[at]iosmydggt.com.nl&gt; 
Sent :  February 10, 2006 9:43:52 PM 
To :  &lt;slian71[at]hotmail.com&gt; 
Subject :  ScrewMePlease 

|  | Junk E-Mail | Inbox 

Received: from iosmydggt.com.nl ([219.148.8.138]) by

It is very obvious that you are not handling things gracefilly. No, this would not work in a single box or the two box work-around, nor would it fly in the paste-it-in-the-box or as an e-mail submittal ... Please read that as "this will not work" ...

As I still don't know what you're actually looking at, I don't know whether to tell you to look in the SpamCop FAQ "here" or the How To use ... Reporting Forum section, or even if whatever e-mail thing you're using has even been addressed yet. Bottom line, you need to figure out how to actually get a full, complete and actual set of headers with body rather than the apparent "copy of a screen display" with all kinds of bad additional formatting and data.

BTW: none of this has anything to do with a MailHost Configuration of a Reporting Account .... this is strictly a Reporting issue seen thus far.

Well, at least this one includes some data that tends to support what I said in one of those "other" posts" ... I still haven't seen where you answered any of my questions, thoughts, and concepts ... but with the following showing in this last sample;

From :  brenda wallz &lt;meimhsiidf[at]iosmydggt.com.nl&gt; 
Sent :  February 10, 2006 9:43:52 PM 
To :  &lt;slian71[at]hotmail.com&gt; 
Subject :  ScrewMePlease 

|  | Junk E-Mail | Inbox 

Received: from iosmydggt.com.nl ([219.148.8.138]) by

It is very obvious that you are not handling things gracefilly.  No, this would not work in a single box or the two box work-around, nor would it fly in the paste-it-in-the-box or as an e-mail submittal ... Please read that as "this will not work" ...

As I still don't know what you're actually looking at, I don't know whether to tell you to look in the SpamCop FAQ "here" or the How To use ... Reporting Forum section, or even if whatever e-mail thing you're using has even been addressed yet.  Bottom line, you need to figure out how to actually get a full, complete and actual set of headers with body rather than the apparent "copy of a screen display" with all kinds of bad additional formatting and data.

BTW: none of this has anything to do with a MailHost Configuration of a Reporting Account .... this is strictly a Reporting issue seen thus far.

40383[/snapback]

Not sure what "gracefilly" means but as a non-techie struggling to follow people's helpful but technical suggestions think I just got put down for being stupid..

Probably am but have honestly been trying to keep up

Have been reporting spam from both hotmail and my work outlook email for 2 years using the two part form. It worked absolutely fine all that time.

Then I made the mistake of doing the Mailhost Registering thing...

Go to the mailhost page but only my work adress shows, it tells me to add a host, so I go through the entire email and reply exercise for hotmail but it doesn't get added and have now repeated that circle half a dozen times. As a result I get strange messages when trying to report spam from hotmail.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong - what I'd like to know is what and how to fix it pse.

Have followed Jeff G's last suggestion and emailed the deputies - hopefully they'll have some ideas. Alternative is just to give reporting spam, which would be a shame...

Go to the mailhost page but only my work adress shows, it tells me to add a host, so I go through the entire email and reply exercise for hotmail but it doesn't get added and have now repeated that circle half a dozen times. As a result I get strange messages when trying to report spam from hotmail.

40399[/snapback]

You should not attempt reporting until you send the probe, receive the probe in hotmail, return the probe to the (email or web) address in the instructons, and receive back a confirmation that it has been completed successfully.

If you have not gone through the ENTIRE process, please tell us where the process breaks down so we can help you through that part. Copying the email from the standard display at hotmail is not the way to do anything within spamcop and find it very hard to believe that has ever worked, mailhost or not.

BTW, "gracefully" would not include:

|  | Junk E-Mail | Inbox 

Not sure what "gracefilly" means but as a non-techie struggling to follow people's helpful but technical suggestions think I just got put down for being stupid..

Yet again, where does this come from? It's been repearedlu asked what you were using and how you were using things. Not answered. In linear post #4, Telarin mentioned "Forward as Attachment" which you never responded to (and there is a How-to etry provided for doing that from a HotMail account directly from HotMail) ... In linear post #15, Farelf pointed out the blank-line explicitly, I expanded a lot on that in the next post. IN your post #20, though you say now that you've done things the same for years, that's the only one that showed the extra data that suggested where the other blank lines were coming from.

Have been reporting spam from both hotmail and my work outlook email for 2 years using the two part form. It worked absolutely fine all that time.

It may have worked for Outlook, but .....that's not the issue at the moment.

Then I made the mistake of doing the Mailhost Registering thing...

Obviously I'm doing something wrong - what I'd like to know is what and how to fix it pse.

I can only go with the flow ... there is a demonstrated issue with how you are handling spam submittals from your HotMail account. There are at least a coule of ways to reply/respond to a MailHost Configuration prove e-mail, and two of these also fall under the "how do you habdle your HotMail stuff" scenario. And though asked a few times, you've stll not described how you are actually handling this probe e-mail. Ir is a known fact that "forwarding" via Outlook has issues, and if you're copyinf/pasting data the sane way onoted in the last Tracking YRL provided, then the resulting e-mail isn't usable by the MailHost thing.

Have followed Jeff G's last suggestion and emailed the deputies - hopefully they'll have some ideas. Alternative is just to give reporting spam, which would be a shame...

40399[/snapback]

It may be that one of the Deputies can hand-massage the data into your account, but the issue still remains that the reporting actions have to be worked out so that the spam is submitted correctly.

There is no "stupid" in there .... you're asking for help, several folks have tried to help, but there's still too much unkown that only you have the answers to .... some of the help does already exist within the various FAQ entries, other data in the How To Use .. Forum section ... but even fixing thse to address why they don't explain things for you can't happen until you point out where they are wrong, incomplete, or ...????

Archived