HELP! Forwarding spam does NOT work.

filou

I own a few high profile domains and i'm trying to foward spam gathered in mail traps to Spamcop.

The mail server is on QMAIL + VPOPMAIL + QMAILADMIN.

I've set the mail traps to forward spam to my Spamcop address. The problem is all the spam comes back like this:

---------

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email:

(when in fact the entire spam message was 100% forwarded to spamcop)

----------

Message forwarded in html wrapper.

(Qmail does not change anything to the message, it simply forwards the raw message!)

----------

Message forwarded in html wrapper.

When forwarding spam, use a MIME attachment or text-type message with

the spam enclosed. Do not send spam in HTML format. Sometimes this

error is caused by using a "resend" feature to forward spam.

HTML spam should be sent in text (source code) format.

The email which triggered this auto-response had the following headers:

Moderator edit: *&^%$# entire spam / retirn error messages posted ..... that content now deleted.

There simply way too many FAQ entries already existing talking about "how to submit" .. even a "How ro ..." titled "Why Forwarding doesn't work" ... and that's even beyond the posted error content that states that the submittals are arriving in a format not usable by the parser. First post edited to remove the ton-load of unnecessary data.

The mail server is on QMAIL + VPOPMAIL + QMAILADMIN.

I've set the mail traps to forward spam to my Spamcop address.

That won't work. SpamCop was designed for the end user who gets the spam in his Inbox and uses his mail client to forward the spam to us. The system is looking *inside* your submission for the spam.

If the mail is aliased directly to your 'submit' address by the server, our system looks inside the message for the spam to report, can't find any headers, and generates an error message.

If you can contrive to have your server generate a new message to your 'submit' address and attach the spam to it, or place the spam inside it, SpamCop will process it.

There may be other options. Please contact me directly at service[at]spamcop.net about this.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

That won't work.  SpamCop was designed for the end user who gets the spam in his Inbox and uses his mail client to forward the spam to us.  The system is looking *inside* your submission for the spam.

If the mail is aliased directly to your 'submit' address by the server, our system looks inside the message for the spam to report, can't find any headers, and generates an error message.

If you can contrive to have your server generate a new message to your 'submit' address and attach the spam to it, or place the spam inside it, SpamCop will process it.

There may be other options.  Please contact me directly at  service[at]spamcop.net  about this.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

41310[/snapback]

Thanks Don, this is very encouraging and my apologies to others if they feel this was covered in FAQs - which I've read.

My course of action is this:

#1 - I will see if I can turn spam into attachments and forward them to spam COP. I'm thinking of creating a mailbox on the mail server where the spam is received and runing a scri_pt in bash that takes the email right from the Vpopmail MailDir and forwards it as an attachment.

#2 - If that fails I'll check w/ my linux programmer to see if he can come up w/ something better.

#3 - I'll contact you Don.

Bottom line: my most spammed domain gets about 5 spam messages per minute (it's a 3 letter domain). For this reason, we don't even use mail services on that domain. I believe that if all the spam sent there along with the spam I get in mailtraps setup on other high profile domains would be a very good contribution to Spamcop.

I would benefit from this right away since the spam filter on the mail server gives a 4.5 rating to mail originating from IPs in the Spamcop database - needless to say that with a 5.0 requirement to be labeled as spam it gives very good results and it's the only thing that works now that spammers can bypass content-check filters pretty easily.

Update...... OK, I'm able to generate attachments directly from the server in the Vpopmail Maildir folder. However, SpamCop then sends me an email to finish spam reporting. I'll talk to you Don about this...

• 7 months later...

Update...... OK, I'm able to generate attachments directly from the server in the Vpopmail Maildir folder. However, SpamCop then sends me an email to finish spam reporting. I'll talk to you Don about this...

Hello,

could you pm me or otherwise regarding how you managed to automate forwardng of emails as attachements? Was it a scri_pt that you could share, or what was the set up - would it be relevant to someone just using sendmail?

Many Thanks.

W.

could you pm me or otherwise regarding how you managed to automate forwardng of emails as attachements?

As that user has not been back since that last post, it's rather doubtful that your request will be seen.

Have you checked the FAQ at all? There are Python and Perl scripts already in existence ...

Note: I chose not to "merge" your recent Topic into this one as the software in question was so different.

Archived