Webmail down? imap works

OK, using IE6 on Windows XP, I can't get past the login screen. Using FireFox on Windows XP and Linux (Fedora Core 3) I get to the "redirect.php" screen (blank screen) and no further. Is the system down?

Could someone make sure JT is aware of the problem?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of about 15:00 GMT on Tuesday (4/18) the Webmail interface to the Spamcop mail accounts seems to be down. When accessing, I get any of the following responses:

- Server not found

- Redirected to mailsc.spamcop.net

- A truncated login screen, with username & password fields, but no 'Language', 'Submit', 'News', etc.

I haven't yet seen any notices posted of a known outage on any accessible page. Is anyone else having these problems?

I've waited about 20 minutes, figuring it was a temporary problem, but now I'm even more surprised there's no mention here. My imap client seems to be able to reach the spamcop.net mail account (sluggish, but that's not necessarily unusual). However, the webmail interface is doing nothing...

I keep a webmail interface open to do all my filtering -- that way I can switch among imap clients on different machines and not have to keep the filters updated across different systems.

My first indication of an issue was the missing "Reporting Server Status" graphic at the top of the Forum page. Was going to research that, but .... yesterday was such a quiet day 'here' ... today, a whole bunch of new traffic .... so playing catch-up ... first thing upon reaching this Forum section .. merged three separate Topics on the outage/problem into one ... so the date/time stamping may make some of the posts not "flow" correctly .... off to start that reseach ...

My first indication of an issue was the missing "Teporting Server Status" graphic at the top of the Forum page.  Was going to research that, but .... yesterday was such a quiet day 'here' ... today, a whole bunch of new traffic .... so playing catch-up ... first thing upon reaching this Forum section .. merged three separate Topics on the outage/problem into one ... so the date/time stamping may make some of the posts not "flow" correctly .... off to start that reseach ...

42086[/snapback]

Thanks, Wazoo. I fired off an email to JT and marked it "urgent" but I don't know if he'll get it... :-) FWIW, it appears that email is NOT coming into the system from outside... I've manually POP-ed my external emails and received a bunch of spam. Typically the SpamCop email system gets my external email before I can pop it, which leads me to believe that things are seriously B0rken. :(

edit:

I just tried the HTTPS link for webmail and just got the white screen, so it's entirely possible that my systems cached part of the website...

My first indication of an issue was the missing "Teporting Server Status" graphic at the top of the Forum page. 

42086[/snapback]

Should that be "Teporting Server sRatus"? :P

I'm looking now... the "Parsing & Reporting Server status" and "Reporting Server Status" links are new to me, but I admit I don't check this forum every day (or even every month) lately.

So eventually I will get a chance to see what they SHOULD look like... Right now there's no graphic.

Typically the SpamCop email system gets my external email before I can pop it, which leads me to believe that things are seriously B0rken.  :(

42088[/snapback]

That actually may fit my situation, too, but my primary mail gets POPed into Spamcop so there's up to a 20-minute wait even when things are working correctly.

I was wondering why my friends didn't respond to my message today. I may have to call them...

It may have NOTHING to do with anything, but there are all sorts of disruptions (cell phone, radio) here today. So I wonder if there are sunspots or something. Yesterday the temps got up into the high 90s Fahrenheit -- (unusual even for Arkansas for April) so I'm blaming lots on the sun today.

I couldn't get in to the webmail, so I checked here. No mention, so I tried from other machines and browsers. Still no luck, but a fascinating variety of failure modes. Then I checked back here and a new thread had opened up about this problem.

Glad to know it's not a problem with my equipment or firewall. Anyone got any diagnosis/prognosis? :unsure:

I am keeping the newsgroups open and trying to let people there know that someone "in authority" is aware of the problem and attempting to get in touch with JT. With any luck we'll keep things from getting too out of hand with people complaining... :)

I just posted this info to "spamcop.mail":

To see how our incoming email is being affected, I'm trying a direct

connection to "mx.spamcop.net" right now...looks like it's timing out.

Now I'm trying a direct connection to "mx2.spamcop.net" -- it also seems to

be unresponsive, which means that mail can't currently reach our SC

mailboxes.

The ARIN database lookup page for the responsible parties for the IP

address associated with the MX is:

http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryi...16-154-195-32-1

on that page, you'll see a telephone number for "Marwan Warrayat," and

although he *should* be able to get word to JT, in that the server is in IP

space that he is supposedly responsible for, I've found that when I call

him, he pretends not to know anything.

DT

As of this posting, at least for me..

Mail for me up to 10:29 US Eastern, was popped into SPAMCOP....

Mail is still 'poppable' out of Spamcop.....

Webmail interface ons main pages is screwed up...

Not a 'plug', but the alternate webmail interface is use in situations like this is

the Secure page for mail2web ...

I just posted this info to "spamcop.mail":

DT

42095[/snapback]

FYI... Marwan is at eDelatacom (now known as Quality Technology Services). This is the colo where the webmail system is located. Webmail managed by JeffT of "Corporate Email Services" - the d/b/a for Spamcop - as you all know.

eDeltacom/QT's corporate policy is to not give any details concerning its customers unless the calling party is on the access list for that particular customer. They'll fudge a little if you're a known party for another customer in the colo.

I'm fairly sure Jeff already knows about the outage. His SpamCop email goes into the same web farm as the rest of us. (I.e. he drinks his own kool-aid.)

I have stuff in this same datacenter and I occasionally wave at the SpamCop system when I'm passing through. Security there is pretty tight, so Marwan is just doing his job.

}Davoice

If new mail is not coming into the system, what good is the POP3 functionality?

I was expecting some important information about a job today.

It's just my luck that the system crashes today of all days.

The people running this system need to implement a better procedure for getting notified of these problems. It's been down for hours now.

Does anyone know if this will be fixed soon?

If new mail is not coming into the system, what good is the POP3 functionality?

42099[/snapback]

It does depend on how your Email reches your SpamCop Email account.

I have my Emails 'popped' by SpamCop and since the problem started a couple of hours back mail has been left on my default mail server. So, for me, it isn't a major problem expcept for mail addressed directly to my spamcop.net address.

In the meantime the sending Email servers will continue to attempt to deliver for a good length of time before timing out - so hopefully delayed mail should arrive.

Andrew

Mail for me up to 10:29 US Eastern, was popped into SPAMCOP....

Which would be about three hours ago, assuming you're talking EDT.

Mail is still 'poppable' out of Spamcop.....

Sure, but since the mail server isn't responding to incoming connections, there won't be any mail to pop.

DT

Most of the mail servers will send in increasing increments of time (i.e., 10 min, 20 min, 60 min, 2 hours, etc).

As the system is down longer, these delays could get very long. I may receive an e-mail at 6:00pm which was sent to me at 8:00am. This may cause me to lose an opportunity as I am currently negotiating a contract with a company regarding employment.

I don't anticipate that SPAMCOP would reimburse me for lost wages.

Do they have an SLA for the e-mail service?

Please PLEASE start posting webmail outage news on www.spamcop.net. That usually stays up when the webmail server is down (which it seems to be at the moment, 12:30 CDT Tuesday 4/18). Those of us who rely on the service would really like to be able to check in and see what is going on and when service might be restored.

For the last few hours no mail has been picked up from my POP3 accounts, and when I try to go to the Spamcop webmail site I see no "Login" button - just the username, password, and language fields. Are you aware of problems? Any idea when the system might be back up, please?

Thanks!

Chris

I may receive an e-mail at 6:00pm which was sent to me at 8:00am.  This may cause me to lose an opportunity as I am currently negotiating a contract with a company regarding employment.

I don't anticipate that SPAMCOP would reimburse me for lost wages.

Do they have an SLA for the e-mail service?

42102[/snapback]

That does sound like a frustrating situation.

Unfortunately the nature of email is that it's occasionally unreliable. I don't believe I have ever seen an "SLA" (assuming you mean "Service Level Agreement") for any email service, because it's far too dependent upon circumstances beyond the provider's control. About all they could possibly do is promise some level of up-time on the server. I suppose you could ask for a refund for lost service time. If the server goes down for 24 hours that would be about 8.2 cents. I bet they would round it up if you asked.

;)

Archived