mailhost registration

I registered my normal emaiol asddress on the mailhost button section but didn't register the webmail address at the same time. When I came to do that, there was not an "add new host" button so I removed the first address and filled in the webmail address.

Thinking I was clear to report, I did so and now everything comes back with this message:-

Possible forgery. Supposed receiving system not associated with any of your mailhosts

Will not trust anything beyond this header

No source IP address found, cannot proceed.

I have been back to the mailhost section and entered myregistered email again, re3ceived the email with ther codes to forward, received the two email back that say "spam account configuration: failed" the immediately

"spam account configuration: success" with nothing in it but I still can't report spam and when I check the mailhost section, only my webmail address is showing.

What have I done and how can I fix it please?

"normal" / "webmail" address?????? MailHost configuration of your Reporting account is about the "Host" ... not "your e-mail address" ... You've not identified either, so no idea if they are the "same host" or not, only you can sort that out.

Tracking URL not provided, so no facts able to be seen from that view.

The SpamCop FAQ (links at the top of this very page) has data on the MailHost configuration of your Reporting account, to include a walk-through .... there are the Pinned items in this Forum section dealing with "what to do if all else fails" .... Bottom line, what have you looked at, what answers have not worked for you, and are you going to provide any of the data not included in your query?

"normal" / "webmail" address?????? MailHost configuration of your Reporting account is about the "Host" ... not "your e-mail address" ... You've not identified either, so no idea if they are the "same host" or not, only you can sort that out.

Tracking URL not provided, so no facts able to be seen from that view.

The SpamCop FAQ (links at the top of this very page) has data on the MailHost configuration of your Reporting account, to include a walk-through .... there are the Pinned items in this Forum section dealing with "what to do if all else fails" .... Bottom line, what have you looked at, what answers have not worked for you, and are you going to provide any of the data not included in your query?

Apologies I thought the "Host" WAS the ISP I get my emails thru which is part of my address i.e. clear.net.nz

Here is my tracking URL

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z964856842ze0...21b2492669451ez

I've sopent hours reading thru the faq's etc but can't find anything to help - my lack of understanding all the terms I guess!

I'm not sure how much or what data to provide seeing as the warning comes on the account configuration email not to send it in public but attach it!

Apologies I thought the "Host" WAS the ISP I get my emails thru which is part of my address i.e. clear.net.nz

True, but you're the one that brought up "regular e-mail address" and "webmail address" .... still not stated is whether these are in fact the "same host" or not.

In general, the servers for these different functions are ot at the same Ip address ...

Not stated ... was this parse from "web-mail" or "regular e-mail" ... as referenced against the "account that is registered" versus the "account that is not showing" ...

Again, the actual database is shared, such that someone before you has actually registered a specific host/server but named it something else ...

I've sopent hours reading thru the faq's etc but can't find anything to help - my lack of understanding all the terms I guess!

Access log shows you've been here for about 1.5 hours ... there is a Glossary and a Dictionary for words ... but again, there are Pinned items in this Forum section that talk to actions needed if "general" help doesn't work.

I'm not sure how much or what data to provide seeing as the warning comes on the account configuration email not to send it in public but attach it!

Thanks for reading and heeding that .. the number of folks that pay no attention to that are astounding. It's the "codes" that identify your acccount that are in those messages that are not to be posted in the clear. But I/we are not asking for that data .. you say you received an "accepted" message, so something allegedly worked .. just what that is is not actually defined thus far .. again, you started this with "two e-mail accounts" being involved ....

And there has been a lot of traffic recently about "the SpamCop FAQ" .. I am talking about the one found "here" ... in which even the "I received both an accepted and a rejected" situation is listed ....

Your Tracking URL: first Received Line ignored as it's a local network thing ...

Third Received Line looks forged to me ...

Second Received Line says that this server is not in "your" MailHost configuration yet .....

OK, to be fair, I was working with some faulty memory also .... I did try to start a specific FAQ on the MailHost thing, but couldn't get the help needed to finish it up ... give a shot at what was started at FAQ Entry: MailHost Configuration problems

I'ver just been there AGAIN and read it thru, only part thast seems to apply is about the "source IP" not being found.

When I go to the MH section the only one showing up is the gmail one, but when I click on "Add new host" my clear.net account details are already filled in. So why isn't it working from clearnet? Wouldit help to delete them both and start again?

I'ver just been there AGAIN and read it thru, only part thast seems to apply is about the "source IP" not being found.

Well, not heard about .. what about the PInned items in this forum section?

When I go to the MH section the only one showing up is the gmail one, but when I click on "Add new host" my clear.net account details are already filled in. So why isn't it working from clearnet? Wouldit help to delete them both and start again?

Facts are dribbling in .... ok, web-mail = gmail, "regular e-mail" = clear.net.nz ....

Yes, I'd say delete the 'clear' item (though a bit confused as you say it's not in the 'active' listing)

You say you've been to the FAQ here .. but .. did you look at the "Step-by-step entry" and follow along? What went differently your case?

Hi Gorse!

Sorry that you've been having mailhost config problems.

I have to say, however, that I haven't found your description of the issue easy to follow. That, in turn, makes it hard to suggest what you might do to resolve your problem.

You ask if deleting everything and starting again would help... Well that would give you a level playing field to kick off from :)

You need a mailhost entry for every Email server that you send mail from - typically for every Email address you use. So 'gorse'[at]clear.net.nz and 'gorse'[at]gmail.com

You also need to be able to receive the confirmation Email messages sent to these addresses by the mailhost configuration process. Gmail, in particular, might catch these messages in its own spam folder. You need to complete the process for each and every server in question. (Also if you have more than one Email address at each domain you need only register one of them).

HTH

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, your explanations sure are helping. My apologies if mine had been a bit obtuse - I didn't know how to expolain it differently. Is the process to configure the mailhosts just a matter of filling in the two boxes under the mailhost tab and then following the instruction on the email that comes back?

Thanks Andrew, your explanations sure are helping. My apologies if mine had been a bit obtuse - I didn't know how to expolain it differently. Is the process to configure the mailhosts just a matter of filling in the two boxes under the mailhost tab and then following the instruction on the email that comes back?

Basically, yes.

You provide an Email address (which receives mail and does not forward it anywhere else - so an alias doesn't work). The hostname name is a reference rather than anything else.

Submit the form and the Email address concerned will receive a message which you follow the instructions within.

Avoid using a mailbox which forwards to another address eg: forwarding onto your Gmail account automatically or popped by another Email service. This adds extra servers into the chain and causes no end of cinfusion to mailhosts.

Andrew

I've done that for the clearnet address, do I wait for confirmation before doing the gmail one? I don't have any forwarding mailboxes - one less problem!

I've just had a success email and a failure email, in that order. The following message was on the failure one with the header from my email included. Will it help to put that in?

"Source IP not found.

Your email host does not appear to correctly identify the sending IP of the email you receive."

I've done that for the clearnet address, do I wait for confirmation before doing the gmail one? I don't have any forwarding mailboxes - one less problem!

I've just had a success email and a failure email, in that order. The following message was on the failure one with the header from my email included. Will it help to put that in?

"Source IP not found.

Your email host does not appear to correctly identify the sending IP of the email you receive."

There's no reason to delay processing both Email addresses.

However, the error message suggests you may need to seek assistance from admin[at]spamcop.net

Andrew

Thanks Andrerw, haveestablisahed contact with admin and they are being very helpful

Excellent, please update us here if there was anything more you could have done that might help the next person. If not, please let us know so a moderator can mark the topic resolved.

No I don't think there was because I did a fair bit of reading of the pinned posts and other instructions first. But I do think if somewhere in the mailhost configuration page, there was the comment that getting both 'failure' and 'success' emails is not normal and help should be sought, probably fromn the admin side, would have resolved things for me a lot quicker. I though it must be a normal procedure.!

Thanks to all for their help

help should be sought, probably fromn the admin side, would have resolved things for me a lot quicker.

I'm actually a bit confused by this remark. Most of the Pinned items end with, and that unfinished FAQ entry I attempted starts with .... contact Deputies/Ellen/etc. .... Yet, you repeatedly stated that you read and reread all of these items ....????

I'm actually a bit confused by this remark. Most of the Pinned items end with, and that unfinished FAQ entry I attempted starts with .... contact Deputies/Ellen/etc. .... Yet, you repeatedly stated that you read and reread all of these items ....????

Soprry, it wasn't the fact that you could contact the admin that needed publicising, rather that both 'failure' and success' emails arriving after attempting the mailhost configuration process is probably an admin job to help resolve.

Soprry, it wasn't the fact that you could contact the admin that needed publicising, rather that both 'failure' and success' emails arriving after attempting the mailhost configuration process is probably an admin job to help resolve.

I'm glad we've been able to assist. You may like to pass your suggestion to admin while you are in contact with them as this forum is for users to help users and we have no influence on the admin side.

Andrew

I'm glad we've been able to assist. You may like to pass your suggestion to admin while you are in contact with them as this forum is for users to help users and we have no influence on the admin side.

Andrew

If I read the suggestion correctly, she is suggesting that a sentence should be in the FAQ, "If you receive both a success email and a failure email in response to a mailhost registration, you need to contact the deputies." - so that if someone else gets both, they know that it is useless to ask a question in the forum.

Miss Betsy

If I read the suggestion correctly, she is suggesting that a sentence should be in the FAQ, "If you receive both a success email and a failure email in response to a mailhost registration, you need to contact the deputies." - so that if someone else gets both, they know that it is useless to ask a question in the forum.

OK, with all the other conversations going on elsewhere, let me point out the obvious .... what FAQ? Recall the only thing close to a FAQ for the MailHost Configuration Process is the one that I started, asked for help in building, and was told that "there are no FAQ type answers" ...... as stated in this discussion, that aborted FAQ entry starts with that bit of dialog with Staff .....

OK, with all the other conversations going on elsewhere, let me point out the obvious .... what FAQ? Recall the only thing close to a FAQ for the MailHost Configuration Process is the one that I started, asked for help in building, and was told that "there are no FAQ type answers" ...... as stated in this discussion, that aborted FAQ entry starts with that bit of dialog with Staff .....

I only said that that was what she was suggesting. There are the pinned posts that she read and the UC FAQ that you started that she read and didn't find the answer in. Again, there is a precise definition for FAQ in the wordsmith world and it is not documentation or glossary or dictionary or history or philosophy or announcements. Usually, on this forum, the FAQ is used more broadly to mean the posts that people have created that not only answer questions, but do all those other things also. You specifically mentioned the 'unfinished FAQ' in previous posts in this topic. What she specifically said was 'to publish' or 'to publicise' which since the forum doesn't have documentation, means the FAQ.

I haven't paid any attention to the mailhosts forum because I managed to get my addresses registered even though I cannot tell you how I did it. Since I don't have any experience with problems or complicated forwarding setups, I can't answer questions on what to do. Unless, of course, I studied the problems and the solutions. Sometimes I can cull an answer to a frequently asked question from the answers even though I don't know much about the problem. Most of the mailhosts posts regarding questions and answers I read made no sense to me at all so I decided that this was not where I could help people.

Miss Betsy

Thar's what was in my mind because it was my experience

I only said that that was what she was suggesting. There are the pinned posts that she read and the UC FAQ that you started that she read and didn't find the answer in. Again, there is a precise definition for FAQ in the wordsmith world and it is not documentation or glossary or dictionary or history or philosophy or announcements. Usually, on this forum, the FAQ is used more broadly to mean the posts that people have created that not only answer questions, but do all those other things also.

Huh? Terminology again gets in the way. There are Pinned posts/Topics.

In my mind, when someone says "FAQ" here, someone is usually talking about a "Frequently Asked Questions" item, be it a 'list of Questions and Answers' or as in the case of the Forum FAQ, a run through of the options and buttons available.

In this case, some data has been lost .... in that "leading bit of text" that you keep suggesting that it be removed, there once was a sentence that clearly stated that this FAQ had no details on the MailHost thing. I note now that this is missing from the existing text, and the "split-off Archive" didn't archive this part ... Somewhere along the line, I did add in a small number of MailHost 'pointers / links' under the Reporting section, but .... those items only 'describe' the function and a 'walk-through' .. all based on a successful attempt.

You specifically mentioned the 'unfinished FAQ' in previous posts in this topic. What she specifically said was 'to publish' or 'to publicise' which since the forum doesn't have documentation, means the FAQ.

Sorry, but no .. words getting in the way again ... the SpamCop FAQ 'here' has never been finished, as stated in the Title, 'always under revision, never complete' .... However, the item I'm referencing in this Topic/Discussion is a FAQ Entry ... and even that's incorrect, as the link has never been added to the single-page-access-point to the SpamCop FAQ .. there is thus far only my attempted shot at creating a 'new' FAQ entry for this specific process.

I haven't paid any attention to the mailhosts forum because I managed to get my addresses registered even though I cannot tell you how I did it. Since I don't have any experience with problems or complicated forwarding setups, I can't answer questions on what to do. Unless, of course, I studied the problems and the solutions. Sometimes I can cull an answer to a frequently asked question from the answers even though I don't know much about the problem. Most of the mailhosts posts regarding questions and answers I read made no sense to me at all so I decided that this was not where I could help people.

And from those words, I am forced to make an assumption that you've not looked at the actual item under discussion either .... please, at least take a glance at MailHost Configuration problems .... it is a long way from being completed, correct, encompassing, and / or several hundred other words .... As I state there, what exists ws generated by going through the MailHost Forum and trying to build a Question and Answer list ... and the problem ran into is that the "answers" aren't available for a lot of issues ... as seen, some questions keep coming up, making them seem frequently asked ... but .... the only folks that have the 'solutions' have refused to answer my queries for help.

Thar's what was in my mind because it was my experience

And again, if the "only" answer is to "contact Staff" .... well, that bit of instruction already exists in dozens of places .. including the Pinned items, the start of the aborted FAQ entry I started, etc. .... what would really be nice is to be advised as to what the "real" issue is / was / includes .... Previous discussions (and some dialog in that unfinished FAQ Entry) on the "received both an accept and a reject response" talk about 'secondary / back-up e-mail servers' .... so was this the same 'issue' in your case? Again, the only folks that 'know' aren't in here getting their hands dirty and providing the answers 'here'. The last time I tried to work on that FAQ Entry, I was left with a lot of unanswered questions, and again, no answers to be made available by the same staff that helped you.

The fact that a more complete, up-to-date FAQ might possibly help cut down their 800-1300 e-mails a day just doesn't seem to be enough to get their assistance. Recall that the single-page-access-point I created here was simply an attempt to put together a FAQ that was more complete, up-to-date, etc., etc., etc.

Edit made later: OK, I lied .. somewhere along the line, I did in fact apparently add a link to the single-page-access-point here to the SpamCop FAQ ... entry titled as

-----> MailHost Configuration Problems FAQ started

So even my previous posting within this discussion about working with my faulty memory was wrong at the time of that posting .....the link did exist ....

And again, if the "only" answer is to "contact Staff" .... well, that bit of instruction already exists in dozens of places .. including the Pinned items, the start of the aborted FAQ entry I started, etc. .... what would really be nice is to be advised as to what the "real" issue is / was / includes .... Previous discussions (and some dialog in that unfinished FAQ Entry) on the "received both an accept and a reject response" talk about 'secondary / back-up e-mail servers' .... so was this the same 'issue' in your case? Again, the only folks that 'know' aren't in here getting their hands dirty and providing the answers 'here'.

Apparently, I did understand what she meant - and she claims to have read the FAQ and presumably the pinned topics carefully, even if I didn't.

I don't understand why the problem she encountered can't be added to the 'unfinished FAQ' - in fact, I don't understand why, after this length of time, a single FAQ can't be created out of all those pinned topics that are difficult to read because they refer to events that are no longer relevant. It won't be an 'official' documentation of the process (and probably should be so stated). There may be areas where people on the Forum cannot 'see' the process, but can give hints on what is happening and what to do based on results.

While those areas where the UC FAQ are based on experience should have an asterix or some way to show that they are not 'official' as opposed to the comments from Ellen and Julian, I don't see any need whatsoever for the information that you asked for information and were denied it. It was relevant in the beginning, but is not any longer.

I understand that she was looking for direction, not for reporting a problem. The 'official' link could be construed by some as the place to report problems, not ask for instruction. It could be extended to mean that 'instruction' is only available in the Forum so that unless there is a problem with the mechanism of setting up mailhosts, the 'official' help is not going to answer you. I am not saying that she went so far in her thinking, but she apparently did not think it was 'proper' to contact the 'officials' unless there was a problem that she did not create. As long as she was not clear about the directions, she asked her questions here.

If your attitude is that a poster should contact the official spamcop staff if they don't find the answer in the pinned topics or FAQs, then the ability to post questions should be removed.

Miss Betsy

I don't understand why the problem she encountered can't be added to the 'unfinished FAQ'

The "problem" exists, spans several paragraphs - the 'solution' isn't totally known .. thus my question as to whether this Topic's solution was the same or something else.

in fact, I don't understand why, after this length of time, a single FAQ can't be created

I started one ....

I don't see any need whatsoever for the information that you asked for information and were denied it. It was relevant in the beginning, but is not any longer.

Please take another stab at looking at the item in question .... I was collecting posted "problems" ... I was asking for data on what the "solutions" were ..... so at this point, all I was able to create was a thing that was 90% questions, 6% answers, and some conversation about some side issues ... hardly fitting any definition of a FAQ

It could be extended to mean that 'instruction' is only available in the Forum so that unless there is a problem with the mechanism of setting up mailhosts, the 'official' help is not going to answer you. I am not saying that she went so far in her thinking, but she apparently did not think it was 'proper' to contact the 'officials' unless there was a problem that she did not create. As long as she was not clear about the directions, she asked her questions here.

If your attitude is that a poster should contact the official spamcop staff if they don't find the answer in the pinned topics or FAQs, then the ability to post questions should be removed.

I refuse to get excited about the accusations I see here. The issue in the MailHost Configuration Process is that there is no one "here" that can actually look anything up. Can't see the user's details, can't see the user's screen, can't see the traffic, can't see the database ... although this is exactly why Don/Deputies take the stand that "there are no FAQ type answers" .. what is missing is any feedback / follow-up on what the actual problem was, hints at what to look at, clues to a solution, etc. from the only folks that have those answers. For the most part, even the users that posted with issues never bothered to follow-up with any of their own thoughts on what the solution was ... usually just "it works" ... maybe beyond their comprehension, probably because it was a database tweak with no additional data provided by Staff ... but the point is, I have nothing to work with here to try to "construct" answers, guidelines, instructions, etc.

Mailhost Issues - please read before posting, Please Read BEFORE Posting ----- If you have problems with mailhosts -- 1) registering new hosts; 2) returning probes; 3) spam parses or other issues you may post in this forum. However other than very general responses I will need you to write to deputies <at> admin.spamcop.net with "mailhosts" in the subject line. ----- Ellen

There really aren't any FAQ type answers.

All the user can do is follow proper procedures, such as registering main

addresses first, and then register his forwarding services. He can't

manipulate the details of his hosts on his own. There isn't anything he

can do to help himself. If there are problems, one of us has to get into

his account and manually fix it.

All the FAQ can do is tell him to submit the Mailhost Waiver Request, or if

that option isn't available, to write to us for help. ----- Don

In my attempt at building a FAQ, I feel that I have proven those statements wrong, in that there are in fact some FAQ type answers. In these repeated problems, it is apparent that there could be some entries developed that did offer some hints as to what is going on, even if the only solution is for Staff involvement .. but I'm not willing to put up wrong information, and without input, I'm not even sure what might be wrong, incomplete, or worse.

Archived