Policing of real fraud

Hi

I have been using mailwasher pro and Spamcop for several months. And I get these emails something like this "Prince blabla from nigeria and asking to transfer funds." an I get alot of these mind you I get the other ones too like on line pharmasuticals etc.

But it occurs to me that the first Example is a real criminal solisitisiting me.

I get those and phishes aparently from ebay, royal bank etc. Quite frankly they scare me?

What my real question is does or can spam cop (note cop in the title) submit the real criminals to the police or an other organisation that investivates them? I would love to see those email dissapear from my inbox as they are a real indication of someone doing something wrong. spam is spam and criminals should be reported.

What does spam cop do with those?

Any comments?

Regards Rick M

SpamCop reports the emails to the sending IP address - that's all.

There are addresses to send 419 scams (that's the generic term for Prince Somebody who has this money that belongs to a dead person and wants help in getting it out of the country) and ebay scams, etc.

You can send them the spamcop report (I forget how at the moment). You can also send them manually, which IMHO, is better since they are totally unmunged. The only one I can recall, at the moment, is spoof at ebay. (I haven't had time to send extra reports lately which is why I am not sure of the current addresses. Also, I expect that law enforcement has email addresses where they receive the same emails to track.)

The scams are unlikely to disappear from your inbox. The 419 scams have been sent by snail mail for years and in recent years also by fax - and occasionally still are. They are difficult to catch in filters because they take the time to send the emails one by one (or at least that's what someone told me). Spamcop also doesn't send a report to the 'drop email address' and a lot of people do take the time to look up the proper abuse desk and report the email address so that it is closed when gullible people try to agree to the scam terms.

There are even some people who make a game of replying to the 419 scams and seeing how far they can lead the criminals on. Some of the exchanges are hilarious!

Miss Betsy

I would love to see those email dissapear from my inbox as they are a real indication of someone doing something wrong. spam is spam and criminals should be reported.

Regards Rick M

Rick, Yes spam is spam and criminal (but that is not what you said). As for reporting, check out these spam Reporting Addresses.

The Anti-Phishing Working Group gets a copy of all phishing spam from eBay, PayPal (the current favorite), etc. I get.

Other Phishing addresses I have collected are abuse [at] afbank.com, abuse [at] bankofthewest.com, and the dumbest one citizensbankonlinecustomersupport [at] citizensbank.com

Then there is spoof [at] paypal.com or [at] wamu.com and stop-spoofing [at] amazon.com

As for the gov there is enforcement [at] sec.gov for stock offers and spam [at] uce.gov for spam in general.

That should get you started on a list of where sent spam reports. Some respond, some don't. Those that do send canned auto responses.

On the other hand Microsoft sends a canned auto response to all reports, and then follows-up with a specific request for info if (I'm guessing) the software offer is not in their db and a new link is broken when they check.

Lou

I understand what you mean. It also means an extra step to everytime you clear out your mailbox. I did see a report on the news and it was interesting. One of the scams led to a local jail where the guy had a cellphone and a friend doing it for him.

I would at least like one good address to send them too. To not make it too difficult. I have to say the Internet is evolving too. Soon ISP will have filters right at the server and alot do already.

I think it would be an easy thing to do for the people at spam cop to do though. They must get hundreds of thousands of these a day. And I know there are other organizations that handle it too. But it could be a great feature if spam cop just sent them to another organization that handles just that.

It could be a future suggestion to add to spam cop and another organization. We send it to spamcop and spamcop forwards it to the authorities. The fact is that email is evidence and could lead to an arrest. If it stops here or at my PC then there is no arrest.

I think that Spamcop should link up with another organization that can handle it and that would kill two birds with one stone.

It just makes sense to me. If people have other address to send these then please post them.

Regards Rick M

I would at least like one good address to send them too. To not make it too difficult.

All spam is not the 'same' spam. 'Ine address' doesn't work. See the SpamCop FAQ here for links beyond already offered.

Soon ISP will have filters right at the server and alot do already.

Also a FAQ entry here, as it interferes with the reporting process.

I think it would be an easy thing to do for the people at spam cop to do though. They must get hundreds of thousands of these a day. And I know there are other organizations that handle it too. But it could be a great feature if spam cop just sent them to another organization that handles just that.

Been there, donw that, asked to turn off the "automatic feed" .... FAQ entries, previous posts, Topics, Discussions, ancient newsgroup threads ....

It could be a future suggestion to add to spam cop and another organization. We send it to spamcop and spamcop forwards it to the authorities.

See above.

The fact is that email is evidence and could lead to an arrest. If it stops here or at my PC then there is no arrest.

???? There is noting that prevents you from reporting your own spam to whatever authorities you deem applicable. See "Manual Reporting" in the FAQ, Dictionary, Glossary, previous posts, Topics, Discussions, etc.

I think that Spamcop should link up with another organization that can handle it and that would kill two birds with one stone.

It just makes sense to me. If people have other address to send these then please post them.

??? If you haven't checked the SpamCop FAQ here yet, why try to generate more traffic on the same subject. What data is there just scratches the surface on all the anti-spam stuff out there (not all of it good) .. your continuation of this discussion with the words "great suggestion" and the like indicate that you've not looked at the Forum structure either ... you are posting into a "issues with SpamCop Reporting" area but seem to be trying to raise an issue that would seem to be better placed into the "New Features, Suggestions" Forum section .... though as indicated above, you are a bit late for some things, not fully aware on other things .... perhaps take some time, do some research ...????

It could be a future suggestion to add to spam cop and another organization. We send it to spamcop and spamcop forwards it to the authorities. The fact is that email is evidence and could lead to an arrest. If it stops here or at my PC then there is no arrest.

The reason that Spamcop does not automatically send a copy of the report to other addresses is that most of them cannot handle the volume. They don't need lots and lots of reports, after all, just one is enough.

And, there is bound to be someone who takes the time to report manually or the organization collects it themselves with spam traps. You are not the only person who receives the scam email - that's why it is classified as spam - so if it stops at your computer, it is unlikely that it will go unnoticed by the authorities.

Spamcop allows users to add four addresses and that's the policy and it is not likely to change. The reason the additional addresses is limited is because, at one time, someone was publishing lists of all the possible addresses for an ISP who was ignoring reports (including embassy addresses for foreign ISPs). There were complaints and so spamcop limits the number of addresses.

As Wazoo says this is not a reporting 'problem' - if you are interested in encouraging others to report to the 'authorities' and gathering additional addresses that are not listed in the link Lou gave you, please start a topic in the Lounge.

Miss Betsy

Thank you for the reply. Sorry about the repost. I do beleave the way to fix these problems is to talk about it and solutions emerge.

So do I - think that the way to 'fix problems is to talk about it and solutions emerge.' I hope you do start a topic in the Lounge to 'talk' about it.

This topic has been discussed numerous times in connection with spamcop reporting, however I do understand if you can't find previous discussions because I have a terrible time using search to find what I want. TPTB (The Powers That Be) for spamcop are not interested in pursuing notification of the 'authorities' for several reasons not the least being requests from the authorities not to send spamcop reports to them. That doesn't mean that notifying the authorities is not a good idea if you have the time to do so manually.

I hope that others who have the time to report to the proper authorities will respond and you will have a lively conversation.

Miss Betsy

I will start a discussion in the lounge. My goal was not to get alot of people to report them. My goal or question realy was to see if it is or could be a feature of spam cop. It would be easyer that way. I spend an hour a day cleaning out my email. That is a lot. It would be a good thing if the "bad" emails ended up in the hands of the athoritys with one button pushed.

I will start a post in the lounge

Thanks Rick M

Toronto, Canada

Archived