FAQ Entry: Am I Running Mailing Lists Responsibly?

Jeff G.

Are you following the requirements for running mailing lists responsibly? Those requirements ensure that the people actually receiving your email messages (via their email addresses on your mailing lists) have given explicit permission for you to send them those particular types of email messages. Please see the following articles:

Application Note: Guidelines for proper mailing list management (has replaced Basic Mailing List Management Guidelines for Preventing Abuse) and moved from here,

PDF Version of the above Application Note: Guidelines for proper mailing list management

Mailing Lists -vs- spam Lists,

Best Practices for Mailing List Management,

How Can I Manage My Mailing List Responsibly?,

and Double Opt In

Edit: 2004/03/23 Jeff G. added "How Can I Manage My Mailing List Responsibly?" and reformatted.

Edit: 2005/03/29 Jeff G. added Application Note: Guidelines for proper mailing list management.

Edit: 2005/10/17 01:23 EDT -0400 Jeff G. added some more text at the top and the PDF Version of Application Note: Guidelines for proper mailing list management, and reformatted the edits.

Edit: 2006/03/07 11:40 EST -0500 Jeff G. updated the location of Application Note: Guidelines for proper mailing list management.

Edit: 2008/09/20 Miss Betsy added "Double Opt In" recommended by SpamCop Admin.

Edit: 2008/09/20 Dbiel - Spamcon.org foundation and its websites are no longer operational - this FAQ has numerous links that need to be replaced.

Edit: deleted spamcon.org link Miss Betsy

Archived