Forwarding address to Knujon disabled by SpamCop

mshalperin

I entered my Knujon registered user forwarding address in the Personal Copy forwarding (Bcc) box in Spamcop preferences. After reporting a few spam, Spamcop disabled forwarding to this address citing:

******<at>coldrain.net bounces (8 sent : 8 bounces)

******<at>coldrain.net does not wish to receive mail. Bcc prohibited.

Knujon technical support checked the address and found it to be working and I'm able to directly forward spam to it from my computer without bounces . Previously, I used "nonregistered<at> coldrain.net" as the forwarding address and hundreds of reports were sent from SpamCop without problems. I'm not clear how long the registered address stays disabled - does it get retested? How do I get it "enabled"?

I entered my Knujon registered user forwarding address in the Personal Copy forwarding (Bcc) box in Spamcop preferences. After reporting a few spam, Spamcop disabled forwarding to this address citing:

******<at>coldrain.net bounces (8 sent : 8 bounces)

******<at>coldrain.net does not wish to receive mail. Bcc prohibited.

This does not directly address your questions but I have entered the Knujon address in the 'Public standard report recipients' box and have had no bounce reports or rejection messages at all.

I'm not clear how long the registered address stays disabled - does it get retested? How do I get it "enabled"?
I don't know about that sort of thing, either. Send me your SpamCop login username (email address) and I'll look into it.

Write to me directly at: service[at]admin.spamcop.net

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

This does not directly address your questions but I have entered the Knujon address in the 'Public standard report recipients' box and have had no bounce reports or rejection messages at all.

I tried it there too and it was disabled as well. The "Personal Copies" box is now the preferred way per Knujon instructions.

I tried it there too and it was disabled as well. The "Personal Copies" box is now the preferred way per Knujon instructions.

Right, I will amend my settings. I took my lead from Spamcop's instructions:

"Personal copies of outgoing reports - If you wish to receive a copy of every outgoing report, enter your email address here."

"Public standard report recipients - If you wish others to receive a copy of every spam you submit, enter the email address here."

If Knujon prefer the 'personal copies' route then I will go that way too.

Tell me, do you send them copies of all the messages you report or just those with confirmed spamvertised site links?

Clive

If Knujon prefer the 'personal copies' route then I will go that way too.

Tell me, do you send them copies of all the messages you report or just those with confirmed spamvertised site links?

I'm not sure why they switched to the personal copies route as this sends copies of every report generated by a spam (source, 3rd parties, each spamvertized site, etc.) whereas the public standard sends only 1 report per spam. It does free up space in the public standard slot to use for sending reports to other agencies. I forward all spam to KnuJon and let them sort it. Many have gif spamvertized sites that I don't have time to manually parse. Many others, such as stock bump and dump and fake diplomas, don't have spamvertized sites and KnuJon is interested them.

Unless I do a manual report I forward in bulk my spam e-mails to my knujon reporting address as attachments from my regular e-mail client (OE) just before reporting them to SpamCop, that seems to work for me. I also changed to forwarding reports to my knujon reporting address for manual SC parsing, I don't want personal copies of those anyhow... Everything seems to work fine so far..

Unless I do a manual report I forward in bulk my spam e-mails to my knujon reporting address as attachments from my regular e-mail client (OE) just before reporting them to SpamCop, that seems to work for me. I also changed to forwarding reports to my knujon reporting address for manual SC parsing, I don't want personal copies of those anyhow... Everything seems to work fine so far..

That's how I'm doing it now since SpamCop won't forward to my KnuJon address. I use SpamCop email service and do my Spamcop reporting via VER. I also import SpamCop mail via IMAP to my email client (Entourage) and and forward the spam to KnuJon as attatchemnts. This works well, though adds another step. I don't know if KnuJon has any use for SpamCop parsing/reporting results.

I heard from Don who found a lookup problem with my Cold Rain address which led to bounces, though it's unclear why this happened only with mail sent from Spamcop. Also, coldrain.net has no MX record. He reset the bounce counter to allow Spamcop to sent mail again to that address. I've forwarded about 30 spam reports since then over the course of the day and there hasn't been any indication of bounces or the address being deactivated again, so it appears to be working now. Cold Rain Tech./KnuJon couldn't find any problem at their end, so I'll pass it off as a glitch that resolved itself...

• 2 years later...

Attempting to send report copies to s w p i r a c y [at]coldrain.net as a "Public standard report recipient" address, have been getting the following result for a couple of weeks or so (not sure when it started):

s w p i r a c y [at]coldrain.net bounces (8 sent : 6 bounces)
Reports disabled for swpiracy[at]coldrain.net

I've forwarded a couple of reports manually with no bounces (and even getting automated response from microsoft).

Anyway, I suggest this address needs a bounce counter reset.

Thanks

...Anyway, I suggest this address needs a bounce counter reset.
Hopefully Don will see this but probably best to e-mail him. Can you do that? I confirm the address is responsive but ssslllooowww (and no MX, as previously noted):

[Contacting coldrain.net [209.198.81.49]...]

[Connected]

220 coldrain.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.14.2/8.12.11; Thu, 2 Jul 2009 00:20:28 -0400

EHLO hexillion.com

250-coldrain.net Hello hexillion.com [70.84.211.98], pleased to meet you

250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

250-PIPELINING

250-8BITMIME

250-SIZE

250-ETRN

250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN

250-DELIVERBY

250 HELP

NOOP *** See <http://www.hexillion.com/MailAdmin/> for an explanation of this session

250 2.0.0 OK

NOOP *** HexValidEmail COM 1.4.12 <5c31a8fa73d35685c3baa1e0430da151bdc52a85>

250 2.0.0 OK

RSET

250 2.0.0 Reset state

MAIL FROM:<HexValidEmail[at]hexillion.com>

250 2.1.0 <HexValidEmail[at]hexillion.com>... Sender ok

RCPT TO:<hextest000E[at]coldrain.net>

550 5.1.1 <hextest000E[at]coldrain.net>... User unknown

RCPT TO:<s w p i r a c y [at]coldrain.net>

250 2.1.5 <s w p i r a c y [at]coldrain.net>... Recipient ok

RSET

250 2.0.0 Reset state

QUIT

221 2.0.0 coldrain.net closing connection

[Connection closed]

I reset the bounce counter on swpiracy[at]coldrain.net.

Our system isn't currently logging bounces like it's supposed to, so I don't know what's going on.

I do know that when this was happening in 2007, our reports were bouncing with a "spam content" error.

I suppose it's possible that they're rejecting SpamCop reports sent to the address.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Our system isn't currently logging bounces like it's supposed to, so I don't know what's going on.
I removed the resolved tag as the basic issue does not appear to be resolved per Don's post.

Also thought I would make a comment regarding KnujOn.

I have a hard time understanding why KnujOn would be interested in the reports as they are primarily based on the IP address that the message came from, rather than the spamvertised addresses contained in the messages which is what KnujOn is interested it.

It seems the better way of using KnujOn, if you are using the forward as attachment method, is to create a group that contains both the KnujOn and SpamCop reporting addresses and simply forward the message to both at the same time. Of course you could simple add both addresses individually to each forwarded spam, but that just seems like too much work to me.

I removed the resolved tag as the basic issue does not appear to be resolved per Don's post.

I have forwarded one SW piracy spam to them with no bounce message from the parser. I did not get the usual automated reply from microsoft, but then remembered my 'robot' report handling was off. Will try with it on for the next one. (But this may not address the 'basic issue', so ok by me.)

[...]I have a hard time understanding why KnujOn would be interested in the reports as they are primarily based on the IP address that the message came from, rather than the spamvertised addresses contained in the messages which is what KnujOn is interested it.[...]

You're right, they aren't interested in IP address reports. I assume their parsing ignores all that stuff and extract the spamvertized URL from the message. Since I use VER exclusively for SC reporting, it is a huge convenience to be able to check mark a report recipient box to handle the forwarding.

Talking of skimming, I will go back and munge that submission address a little bit more, OK?

It's ok by me, but the KnujOn site has a hot mailto: link for that and all of their public reporting addresses, so they apparently don't see it as a problem. I can imagine reasons why it could be a problem, but must admit they are in a position to know better.

Thanks Don and everybody!

Archived