Old Newsletter

Wazoo

I'd guess that the majority of SC users are unaware of the forum. People are directed here when they look at the online help.

By 'online help' it is assumed that you are talking about the www.spamcop.net Help set of pages. Much history there, people complaining about them for years, attempts to get them fixed have gone on for years ... I'm past a half-dozen attempts at providing alternatives 'here' .. the latest has been the Wiki ... but you'll note that the www.spamcop.net Help pages still don't offer that as a link either ... I made a Portal page that was an attempt to tie 'everything' together, asked repeatedly to have that provided as a link on the www.spamcop.net Help page set .... as seen, it's not available as a link there either ... as stated, this is a years-old situation ....

There was, for a short time, a SC newsletter that went out. I wouldn't mind seeing that resurrected.

Firstly, I've sent an e-mail out to Pete, the guy that used to 'manage' the last newsletter thing. At issue is that I can find nothing that resembles an archive of any of that data. A lot of what that newsletter was meant to do has actually been handled in different ways.

For example, announcements about the Parsing & Reporting system being down are basically not needed, die to the inclusion of the status graphic/link at the top of this very page. It's on a different system, different network, so this can be seen even when www.spamcop.net itself is down.

Although the newsgroup archiving died back in June last year, that was resurrected by moving that function to 'this' server (though I have to admit that this jov is far from finished ... each 'list' of monthly archives for the prior-to-June-2006 is a separate HTML file ... all the links in each of thos files need to be re-directed [and berified that they still point to an actual file .. a lot don't, as they were deleted to free up space on that hard-drive]) ....

The Forum posts/database have yet to hit the point where old stuff has to be cleared out .. so all traffic 'here' still exists ...

The Wiki (though woefully lacking in contributors) is yet another vehicle to pass on data, trends, etc ... However, just as in the Original FAQ (back when anyone could contribute) .. the single-page access version hacked up 'here' (to which anyone can still contribute) .... a few other attempted FAQ tools that went nowhere .. and the current Wiki ..... (and not to ignore the Dictionary and the Glossary) .... there's only so much that a few folks can do to populate and maintain them ....

Here's the real point .... Julian didn't have time for all this stuff back when he was 'doing everything' .... IronPort has not seen fit to hire additional staff to handle the 'customer support' side of things ... all of this other stuff has been done by volunteers ....

I don't tend to post here much unless I see a problem. Most of the traffic deals with issues I can't help much with.

Yet, it could be pointed out that taking a look at some of that 'Help' material every now and then would also be appreciated .. in the light of yet nother set of eyes, possible recommended changes, additional material needed, etc.

Yes, by "help" I meant the www.spamcop.net help. I wasn't aware there was a Wiki and it took me a while to find it - it wasn't mentioned in the first few "FAQ" entries I found in this forum. For the record, it is at http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/SpamCopWikiHome I'll have to admit that I am not a big fan of wikis, though I know many think they're the answer to world hunger.

The problem here is that there are too many different places to look for information on SC, and the best sources are the least obvious. I'll be honest and say I see little point investing effort into a Wiki while the web site's help decays. This forum has some decently-organized topics and perhaps they just need to be refreshed.

I'm sorry to hear that IronPort is not investing in customer support for SpamCop. I had high hopes for that.

...I wasn't aware there was a Wiki and it took me a while to find it - it wasn't mentioned in the first few "FAQ" entries I found in this forum. For the record, it is at http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/SpamCopWikiHome...
Thanks for the comments - I guess you were looking too hard, links at the very top of the page/every page
SPAMCOP HOME · SPAMCOP FAQ · NEWSGROUPS · FORUM FAQ · WEBMAIL · SSL WEBMAIL · SPAMCOPWIKI
and again immediately below the banner
SpamCop·SpamCop FAQ·Newsgroups·Forum FAQ·Webmail·SSL Webmail·SCWiki Help Search Members Calendar
Yes, it would be good to have some reference to it direct from the official SC help page rather than requiring supplicants for assistance to "discover" it though the "Web-based Bulletin Boards" pages but so far that obvious amendment has found no favor with those who control the SC pages - prudence over liability apparently being sufficient to overcome any qualms about the quality and accessibility of support. There is no mention on the page and the default search (SpamCop and FAQ) from that page produces nothing, a search on SpamCop Forums must be selected.
...I'll have to admit that I am not a big fan of wikis, though I know many think they're the answer to world hunger. ...
:D TG there's two of us! But in this situation the potential for rapid development of a comprehensive guidance and information base is probably unmatched by other current solutions. Slightly different to (is that "from" for US readers? or even "than"?) open Wikis which must evolve towards trustworthiness. And dbiel's initiatives in Future direction of the Wiki?, One person's point of view should help make information in the SC Wiki easier to find and usefully focus further development.

Yes, by "help" I meant the www.spamcop.net help. I wasn't aware there was a Wiki and it took me a while to find it

As Farelf noted ... it's a bit hard to figure out where else to 'advertise' these things ... running out of space on the top of this page, buried in the Announcements Forum section, nobody knows about the Portal page .. pointed to in some answers 'here' and over in the newsgroups ....

I'll have to admit that I am not a big fan of wikis, though I know many think they're the answer to world hunger.

The problem here is that there are too many different places to look for information on SC, and the best sources are the least obvious.

You seem to be coming in after the show .. the reason for "all these other places, things, tools, etc." is because the 'Original/Official' place has been a source of continuous complaints since its inception ....

I'll be honest and say I see little point investing effort into a Wiki

The Wiki was yet another attempt at providing for a Help resource .... the previous FAQ building efforts having limited success .. the single-page hack was never meant to be permanent .. it was a hack ... three other FAQ tools I installed and advertised a bit went nowhere (I tried a few more myself and killed them myself) .... one Forum application modification I installed sucked hundreds of my hours on populating, only to run into the situation where that tool was abandoned by the author, thus didn't make the transition into the next version(s) of the Forum app .... One of the 'big' things about the Wiki was that the whole thing wouldn't depend on me and me alone to get it populated .... yet, we're still waiting for the flood of help ....

while the web site's help decays.

???? not at all sure about that description .... the actual complaint has basically been about its stagnation, in addition to being incomplete ....

This forum has some decently-organized topics and perhaps they just need to be refreshed.

????? Topic last seen in the Lounge that covered this situation ....

Actually, pretty funny comparing the original plan to the way things have turned out .... http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=221

But, the Topic I was actually thinking of is found at Forum configuration, additions, changes, input requested .... it's been a long while since anyone contributed there .... though also noting that there have been lots of changes since that time ....

I'm sorry to hear that IronPort is not investing in customer support for SpamCop. I had high hopes for that.

I don't speak for IronPort .. just noting that we're going on year three of their 'ownership' .... one would think that a qualified candidate or two could have been found by now to bump up staff ...????

And dbiel's initiatives in Future direction of the Wiki?, One person's point of view should help make information in the SC Wiki easier to find and usefully focus further development.

Small detail .. that link heads off into a limited access Forum section ... Although there is a fair amount of traffic in that Topic, the end result thus far seems to be yet more of a failure to stimulate some activity ....

Thought I'd try another approach when I ran into a situation where I already had way too much going on ...

Created a new page at http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/EditsNeeded ... linked to the page that does need work, explained the work that was needed .... thoughts being that for those that "weren't sure" about what should/could be done .... here's one with definitions ...

Dbiel has added more to that page, but ....

Archived