Slow held mail reporting

I would  report way more often if it was not so slow ....

When I have  around 100+ in my held mail and select them for "quick reporting", it often takes  almost a minute to send them.

Same here. After trying it out, I don't bother to report held spams anymore. I get over a hundred a day and they pile up quickly, especially when I'm gone for a few days. The spam reporting system is slow with any number but is excrutiating with several hundred.

Also, if they are already being caught as spam does it help much if I report them? It would seem a better use of my time to report only spams that get through to my inbox.

Also, if they are already being caught as spam does it help much if I report them? It would seem a better use of my time to report only spams that get through to my inbox.

Well, if everyone did that, then there would be more getting through to your inbox because messages would drop off the bl because fewer people reported them. As I believe there will always be someone to report held mesages (me for one), your not doing it should not affect things too much.

I quick report all held messages from inside webmail, does not seem slow to me but I do omly 10 at a time to avoid missing any valid messages. I also report throughout the day (usually hourly).

I usually do what StevenUnderwood is describing, but 180 at a time until my Held Mail Folder is empty. I find Webmail to be much faster for this. Part of the reason Webmail is so much faster is that it is on the same LAN as imap.spamcop.net, whereas mailsc.spamcop.net is across the country from imap.spamcop.net, so Webmail's connection to imap.spamcop.net has both much higher bandwidth and much lower latency. JT probably has access to actual bandwidth and latency measurements.

I am using webmail to report the held mail and really want to keep reporting as it does give a small level of satisfaction, I get a lot of spam (harvested E-Mails from websites ?) I am now at 9,330 spams reported in around 6 months. I am often away for a day or two and just delete my held mail if its over 100.

Given that I live on the westcoast and am I just reporting what all the early risers on the East coast have already reported ?

:unsure:

Given that I live on the westcoast and am I just reporting what all the early risers on the East coast have already reported ?

Well, that's kind of hard to believe .. most of my spammers seem to go out of their way to remind me that I'm special, and their wonderful offers and opportunities are just for the rare, chosen few <g>

I have found that both ways of deleting/reporting held mail have become much more slower and too tedious to bother with.

For webmail it takes me an age just to log in, on average it lets me in after 3 logging attempts.

Recently was away for a week and the result was 2597 held mail items, and yes I had cleared everything before I left. I tend to get about 150 per day so that week was particularly heavy.

Problem- how to get rid of them, easiest way log into webmail and empty the folder but when I try, after a minute or so up pops the following message.

There was an error deleting messages from the folder "Held Mail". This is what the server said: [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)

There was a problem expunging the mailbox. The server said: [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)

Any suggestions, at the moment I'm not reporting any from my held mail because :

1) The webmail way is too laborious especially with nearly 3000 in the folder at the moment.

2) The other way is impossible without deleting 100 at at time very slooowwlly.

If someone from spamcop could empty my held mail I would be grateful. My account is bsweb.

Any chance of spamcop speeding up a tad in the near future?

bstock .... have you looked at some of the settings in your preferences? For instance, you say you were "gone a week" .. but I seem to recall that you could set up some sctions to auto-delete items "after 3 days" ...??? On the other hand, I also recall seeing things like some actions only occurring after a logon ..?? but figured I'd at least bring up checking some settings.

Note sent off on your behalf to JT, to at least lok at this Topic/Thread.

I have found that both ways of deleting/reporting held mail have become much more slower and too tedious to bother with.

Same situation here. I have around 2500 spam in Held Mail. Took about 130 seconds to load 999 messages (the max) in WebMail--not too bad. However, selecting "all" took something over 7 minutes; I'm not sure exactly how long because I walked away and came back in 10 minutes at which time it was done. I was unsuccessful in 3 attempts to report the spam, each time getting the message: Could not open the page “http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/mailbox.php” after trying for 60 seconds.

So, I can't report them. The system automatically clears them after some set number of days, so I won't waste my time with that, either. WebMail, how shall I say, sucks at many levels. What I really need is intergration with my email client, Mailsmith. Currently, I can report individual spam that get through via my email client but I can't report them in bulk nor look at Held Mail. Of course, things are rarely ideal. But I would like them to be at least moderately functional which they are not right now.

Same situation here. I have around 2500 spam in Held Mail

You were probably typing this while I was dropping a note to JT on bstock's issue. Perhppas JT will take a look at the whole Topic and catch this ...???

The system automatically clears them after some set number of days

Seem to recall 14 days for Held ...???

What I really need is intergration with my email client, Mailsmith.

Having just had an iBook dropped in my lap, I recall seeing Mailsmith in a number of software searches, but that's all I've got on it. However, looking at their web-page http://www.barebones.com/products/mailsmith/index.shtml ... one sees the tremendous write-up;

Offering an unprecedented degree of flexibility, Mailsmith can be customized to serve your needs through its powerful editing, filtering, and searching capabilities. Mailsmith also has extensive scripting support, giving you complete control over your email experience.

Is it possible that your "integration issues" fall under the "extensive scripting support" ??? Must say that just looking through the initial Google listing under a search for "Mailsmith" ... it doesn't seem that everyone is "amazed" at some of the latest versions (didn't follow the links, just those few lines of page hints)

bstock .... have you looked at some of the settings in your preferences? For instance, you say you were "gone a week" .. but I seem to recall that you could set up some sctions to auto-delete items "after 3 days" ...??? On the other hand, I also recall seeing things like some actions only occurring after a logon ..??
Thanks Wazoo but it does only work after login.

Its not an idea solution because if I miss a couple of days and I then logon on to check my held mail, possibly some good mail would have already been automatically deleted.

Presently I've got so much I just want to get rid of it all so I thought I would give it a try. I eventually logged in and changed the option to delete after 1 day. I logged off and back on checked my held mail but sadly still the same number, perhaps if I try tomorrow it might work but either way the main problem is the slowness of everything which as many others have commented, is far from satisfactory.

Thanks also for passing my message on

As noted a few times elsewhere, I'm not an e-mail user, so I can only offer up things I've seen. On the other hand JeffG is, and I see that even in this Topic/Thread he's already stated that Webmail is the best way for reasons of the SpamCop e-mail server-set configuration ... so maybe best to wait till his next arrival also for his personal insight on whether there's something else he can come up with (while waiting for JT to smack your account <g>)

It gets worse. Now I have hundreds of messages from SpamCop telling me about each message I tried to report via WebMail:

SpamCop encountered errors while saving spam for processing:

SpamCop could not find your spam message in this email: ...

With friends like these...! :angry:

Is it possible that your "integration issues" fall under the "extensive scripting support" ???  Must say that just looking through the initial Google listing under a search for "Mailsmith" ... it doesn't seem that everyone is "amazed" at some of the latest versions  (didn't follow the links, just those few lines of page hints)

OT but FYI. I have tried many email clients and Mailsmith is by far the best in terms of both features and support. And I use only a small fraction of its capabilities; have not done much with scripting but use built-in SpamCop reporting. The one thing it lacks is IMAP support.

I've got 6 email accounts, 75 mailboxes and 75,000 messages that are fully searchable--I know of no other email client that can do this gracefully. The full-featured text message editing is enough to make the price worth it. Early versions were slow and had mailbox corruption problems but it has been rock solid for me during the past year. That said, it is certainly not for everybody because it is not free and has far more capabilities than most people would need. Also, it runs only on the Mac.

Have managed to finally empty my held mail of 3000 emails.

Firstly I altered my webmail settings to show 900 messages at a time, this seemed to make it choke so I adjusted it to 500. This it appeared to cope with so I proceeded to delete them in 500 chunks which seemed to do the trick.

Then I clicked on the empty trash folder, hoping I hadn't merely transferred the problem elsewhere. The system took ages to respond and IE eventually timed out, so I thought the worse. However I logged back in checked the trash and hey presto - there was none, so something must have worked.

Having got rid of all the clutter webmail does seem much faster now and I'll consider using it to report all my spam.

Wazzo was correct all along saying tinker about with your settings, but really I would have expected the system to be able cope with the empty folder option in the first place.

Hope that helps anyone with a similar problem.

Most definitely, thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated, at least for future "guesses" as to what works and what doesn't <g> I'd like to take credit for offering up the "right" answer, but I can't ... Not being an e-mail user myself, I could only offer up what I've seen others suggest in the past .. But, you're certainly welcome, in any case <g>

Archived