message-ids have changed

dpets

I have recently been getting the "message-ids have changed" messages when using VER. I know what to do about it (report the messages using the web mail held messages screen) but I have not been able to find any definitive information about why this happens, let alone why it has started happening to me recently.

Can anyone give an explanation.

John

Yes, I know but I could not find the information I was looking for. There was talk of using VER in two browser windows at once, but I do not do that. I log onto VER, often first thing, do a quick report and trash and then get some of these Message-ids have changed messages.

Why has this started happening recently? What actually causes this message to come up?

John

Are you logging on to the webmail? If so, the discussion pointed to was not relevant since, IIUC, the problem there was due to IMAP vs POP3 and fixed by logging on to the webmail.

We were talking about staying inside of webmail and opening the Held Mail folder (pull down at top right), not clicking the Held Mail link at the top center of the page. That action will bring you right back to the place you were before (the VER page). I really wish these two items had different names as it has caused confusion in the past.

If you simply went back to the VER page, the only explaination I can give is there was a timeout somewhere that expired or some background operation refreshed the account and allowed you to proceed as normal.

The address you should have been at would have been similiar to: http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp/mailb...newmail_popup=1

Here's other takes on the problem:

VER appears to be very sensitive to changes (other than additions via incoming spam) in the contents of your Held Mail Folder. Please try to avoid using Refresh and manipulating your Held Mail Folder while using VER. Also, you should consider using the Held Mail Folder in Webmail to handle its spam rather than using VER.

Try logging into your account at http://webmail.spamcop.net/horde/imp and using the "Folders" button. Then click on the litte + plus sign so you can see a list of your folders. Select the Held Mail folder, and then use the "Empty folder" option from the drop-down action menu. That should get rid of your pesky emails.

Since I don't use the email system, most of this is greek to me. I couldn't find any reason why one would suddenly get the error. Like a lot of computer errors, it seems that deleting them in a certain way corrects the problem even though there is no logic to it.

HTH

Miss Betsy

I was hoping for more input before I chimed in ... appears it isn't going to happen ....

This Topic and most of the previous discussion has been about the VER interface, which has also been defined as old, ancient, and probably to go away in a number of places. And though this Topic is placed within the Reporting Forum section, it is really a strange linkage of the Reporting system (on the west coast) amd the e-mail system (on the east coast) ..... and it's this interaction (with your computer in the mix) that makes some of these issues pretty hard to document, much less troubleshoot.

My actual response to this Topic is that "Message-IDs have changed" has been a sever issue with this current set-up using an IMAP connection via OE under XP-Pro ...... (noting that this alone would mean that this should be posted over in the e-mail account Forum section)

With all the e-mail I get to that account (unbelievably, almost all of it dealing with attmpted spam postings to the newsgroup list/archive) .. it takes me dozens of repeated attempts at accessing those folders under OE before I can actually read/handle any of that 'new' e-mail .. issue is that one or more of the messages has changed ID numbers, so the OE record keeping keeps getting screwed up .. one instamce is seeing the bold 'new' e-mails number jump between say 18 and 34, the list of Subject lines continuously repainting itself, if checking the InBox, the "new e-mail sound notification continuously repeatedly going off ..... there is some kind of timing involved, in that eventually, I can go to those folders and am actually able to do something with all that stuff.

On one hand, this has nothing to do with the somewhat historic issue with VER, yet .... it is a Message_ID issue ....????

Well, I am using Linux and POP (using Icedove (Debians's version of Thunderbird)), not an IMAP connection via OE under XP-Pro. I am also getting trouble reporting spam by going to the held box in Spamcop's Webmail. Not all the held mail is shown and when I report it all some more comes up. I wondered if this started happening when I regularly checked my Inbox in webmail before I downloaded it as it is easier to report any spam that has got through using webmail. Actually, though, I think the problem may have started more recently, maybe when the new style webmail interface started being used.

John

Well, I am using Linux and POP (using Icedove (Debians's version of Thunderbird)), not an IMAP connection via OE under XP-Pro. I am also getting trouble reporting spam by going to the held box in Spamcop's Webmail. Not all the held mail is shown and when I report it all some more comes up.

Thanks .. that's the kind of stuff I was hoping to see, at least helping to rule out that "it's just me scenario" .... timing was wierd, in that just a few minutes after my last post, things got so screwed up, OE actually tossed up a nasty error message;

Your server has reported a UID which does not comply with the IMAP standard. This typically indicates a server bug. Your program may not finvtion correctly after this.

Details: sgSeqNum 320, New UID 273611. Prev UID: 273610, Next UID: 120762.

As you state (and yet additionally and / or differently) when 'new' traffic does arrive, the 'new' stuff might end up as a new block ... or it can end up with 'unread' stuff interspersed throughout the list (sorted by time Received) which makes it wierd to try to tie to just how that happenes in conjunction with Message-ID assignments. Anyway, it took maybe a dozen or so 'visits' to those OE folders here over the next hour or so until I was able to actually select and handle all the 'new' crap in both Held and InBox .... Actually, one e-mail I needed to take care of promptly, so I hit the web-page to be able to read its contents.

Anyway, now that there is some bit of agreement that there are additional issues beyond VER, I'm a bit more comfortable in taking this upstream.

I did not know that my programme did finvtion, I learn something every day!

I do sometimes get database error messages from VER rather than the more common "message-ids have changed".

John

I do sometimes get database error messages from VER rather than the more common "message-ids have changed".

I recently only had the latter occur, example

message ids have changed cannot alter 224907 224906 224881 (notice the gap in numbers)

I had no other browser window open and the last Spamcop email folder looked at was INBOX.

Looks like a timing problem if a weird one.

All I have ever had to do to recover was click 'Held Mail' (ie refresh) in VER, but yes another small bunch of emails is often then shown - I assume they had just arrived.

As a test, I disabled our IMAP proxy server that is used by Webmail to speed up mailbox accesses. We aren't sure if the proxy server is causing problems, but it's one of the top contenders. Please keep an eye out and report back here if the problem still exists. Also, note that this only affects Webmail and not VER or any external e-mail client.

-Trevor

This comment is also posted here:

nbox Reordering / Renumbering by itself

Archived