IE7 Crashes every time I quit SC Webmail

Ex_Brit

Every time I exit from SC webmail I get a pop-up that Internet Explorer has stopped working, then another that it is restarting.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm using Quicktime Alternative 7.1.6 in Vista instead of the full bloatware?

Here are the Event Viewer details:

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 20/09/2007 6:44:05 AM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: R2D2

Description:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16512, time stamp 0x46807103, faulting module QuickTime.qts, version 7.1.6.200, time stamp 0x463156b7, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00069bd7, process id 0xb24, application start time 0x01c7fb6d2a6d90dc.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-09-20T10:44:05.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>6284</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>R2D2</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>iexplore.exe</Data>

<Data>7.0.6000.16512</Data>

<Data>46807103</Data>

<Data>QuickTime.qts</Data>

<Data>7.1.6.200</Data>

<Data>463156b7</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>00069bd7</Data>

<Data>b24</Data>

<Data>01c7fb6d2a6d90dc</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

One suggested solution to a "similar sounding" crash is at

I have found the solution at:

[http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=11312&st=0&p=78442entry78442]

It is a quicktime conflict. Deleting the quicktime folder in /system32/ eradicated the problem.

Needless to say, YMMV - though I suppose if you send the folder to the recycle bin (rather than total deletion) there's not much risk in trying it?

All these damnable "Helper" applications .. geeze .... even trying to connect the dots here ???

Other (even recent) Topics include complaining that the WebMail tool won't display all the HTML, graphics, dancing elephant crap on screen. WIth that kind of complaining, how would one also then leap to how nice it would be to have QuickTime loaded up, consuming memory, some resources, stocking its nose into things, just to "be ready" for its chance to jump into action when recognizing one of its files coming across the data stream .... in this case, apparently deciding to show its unhappiness at working so hard to look at all that e-mail and finding that no one wanted to feed it anyting to play with.

BTW: did you catch a post over in the Lounge Security issues beyond Windows .. there have been further updates from Windows Secrets and Secunia .... but again, it's these "Helper" apps that are at issue ....

Wazoo, yes I did read that - interesting. I try to keep everything updated but these peripheral players Quicktime and Real Player always used to be such a pain in the you-know-what with their pleas to purchase this-that-and-the-other spams (more-so Real) that I gave up using the full versions years ago.

The above problem only occurs if the jingle has to play to tell me there's some Held Mail and I exit perhaps just a tad too quickly. It also only occurs in Vista - go figure. I use IE7 in Vista and XP.

I'll live with it.

Now off to read up about this new greylisting which I've switched on anyway. Maybe I should check it out first...LOL

The above problem only occurs if the jingle has to play to tell me there's some Held Mail and I exit perhaps just a tad too quickly. It also only occurs in Vista - go figure. I use IE7 in Vista and XP.

Ouch! This now has me wondering about another issue possibly being connected. In the Reporting Forum section, there's a question dealing with Message-IDs .... started by pointing to VER, which is a bit of an ancient known problem ... however, that discussion expanded into IMAP connections .. this morning, someone posted into te e-mail Forum section, also complaining about what appears to be the same issue. I'm making the connection as you (kind of) mentioned "new e-mail" and directly pointed to "Held Mail" ....

Archived