IE extra tools

Wazoo

As last mentioned in a post at full livemail header?, How can I make it show? .. then followed with a PM;

Dang, that reminds me, I told someone ages ago that I would upload corrected copies of some Microsoft unsupported tools originally released for IE5.5 that actually still work just fine under IE7 .. along with installation instructions .... one of those was a "view partial source" utility ....

So what are the utilities and where can they be found?

I closed down a ton-load of opened windows, opened up a boat-load of new ones ....

Where they are at .. actually funny as most of the Google links, (including the top-ranked page which points directly to a Microsoft listing) which go to other places that list the same links, all currently return a 404 as Microsoft has rearranged things for the zillionth time ... in this case no doubt due to these tools being originally posted for IE5.5 .... ages ago ... so had to come up with other seaches in hopes that the pages hadn't actually been deleted ...

Currently found at : Web Accessories for Internet Explorer 5

Multiple tools listed, a number of them will not fly with the IE of today .... such as the Toolbar stuff.

On the other hand, there are a couple of tools that I use there that actually work just fine under Win-XP, both Home and Pro, and both IE6 and IE7.

Microsoft Web Developer Accessories - includes the mentioned "view partial source" tool ....

Download is currently at webdevaccess.exe ... download, install, and it's ready to go .. new options available under the Tools menu and in the right-click menu.

The other 'set' of tools that I use is found under the "Internet Explorer 5 Web Accessories" section ... This file is currently found at ie5wa.exe Once again, download, install, and almost all of them work just fine. However, living up to the "unsupported by Microsoft" disclaimer, the Zoom-in, Zoom-out have been screwed since the release of these files .... to fix, the two HTML files need to be edited, basically swapping the order of a couple of the lines. As I do not recall the way they are installed, I'm just posting the working end result files here ...

Files are typically located at C:/Windows/web .... your install may vary .. used Find/Search for files to locate them ...

zoomin.htm should look like;

<HTML>
<scri_pt LANGUAGE="java scri_pt" defer> 
var parentwin = external.menuArguments;
var doc = parentwin.document;
var w;
var h;

if ( parentwin.event.srcElement.tagName == "IMG" )
{
	h = parentwin.event.srcElement.height * 2;
	w = parentwin.event.srcElement.width * 2;
	parentwin.event.srcElement.height = h;
	parentwin.event.srcElement.width = w;
}
else
	alert ("You must right-click on an image to Zoom.");

</scri_pt>
</HTML>

zoomout.htm should look like;

<HTML>
<scri_pt LANGUAGE="java scri_pt" defer> 
var parentwin = external.menuArguments;
var doc = parentwin.document;
var w;
var h;

if ( parentwin.event.srcElement.tagName == "IMG" )
{
	h = parentwin.event.srcElement.height / 2;
	w = parentwin.event.srcElement.width / 2;
	parentwin.event.srcElement.height = h;
	parentwin.event.srcElement.width = w;
}
else
	alert ("You must right-click on an image to Zoom.");

</scri_pt>
</HTML>

NOTE: this Forum application has been modified to change the spelling/format of the words J A V A S C R I P T and S C R I P T.... you need to 'fix' that before saving the corrected file. (delete the underscore, remove the extra space)

Oh yeah, for those that don't already have other system configurations in place ... when you "find" these files, you need to use "Open With .." ... select NotePad to use for the editing tool. Do not use Word, WordPad, etc ... just plain old NotePad ..... either make the changes yourself by moving the lines around or cut/paste the contents here to replace the existing code ... Save the resulting file ....

I have used these (corrected) tools under IE5 through IE7, under Win-98, 98SE, XP-Home, XP-Pro without issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe a bit slightly O/T from your post, but I thought I might mention it anyway.

One addon I have found incredibly handy for IE7 is IE7Pro. It adds quite a bit of functionality to the browser and is freeware.

IE7Pro is a must have add-on for Internet Explorer, which includes a lot of features and tweaks to make your IE friendlier, more useful, secure and customizable. IE7Pro includes Tabbed Browsing Management, Spell Check, Inline Search, Super Drag Drop, Crash Recovery, Proxy Switcher, Mouse Gesture, Tab History Browser, Web Accelerator, User Agent Switcher, Webpage Capturer, AD Blocker, Flash Block, Greasemonkey like User Scripts platform, User Plug-ins and many more power packed features. You can customize not just Internet Explorer, but even your favorite website according to your need and taste using IE7Pro.

The addition of customizable user scripts allow for endless customizations, which Opera has built in and Firefox has with the GreaseMonkey extension.

Another program of a similar vein is Maxthon (previously MyIE2) which is sort of a browser built on top of IE (if that makes any sense) with a lot of additional features - including scripts & plugins as well, but stays true to the IE "feel". Although it's not technically an addon, it's a very nice platform, IMO.

Finally, I wanted to mention MultipleIEs, an installer that allows an end-user to install multiple versions of IE on their system, meant to be used w/ IE7 installed as the main version, and then all prior versions, as early as IE3 can be installed and run without interfering with the others (although there still remains a single Control Panel module). It's especially helpful for webmasters to check and make sure your site is compatible in older versions of the browser - and if you're looking to install the old IE5 powertools, you should be able to do that also (although admittedly I haven't tried it).

Archived