Problems With Cookie Log-In

gregorio

For the past week or so I have no longer been seeing the normal Spamcop page when I click the link to finish reporting a spam message. Instead, I reach a "generic" page. I have tried logging-in after selecting a 1-year expiration for the Spamcop cookie. I then quit my web browser. When I click the link again I am returned to the same generic page.

I then choose the advanced log-in option, and on the next page I click the option for spam reporting account holders. The next page then greets me by name, as if I already logged-in...

A check of my cookie management program (Cookie Dog 2) shows no log-in cookies left by Spamcop. Normally I would move log-in cookies to the "never delete" section, but there aren't any to move! The only Spamcop cookies that I have been able to identify is one labeled "code" and a forum cookie.

Something has changed but heck if I can figure out what it is. My reading of the one current, similar-sounding board topic did not enlighten me regarding my problem, and I miss my easy Spamcop log-in process...

I am running OS 10.3.3 and Safari 1.2.1 on a Mac.

I fired up an iBook, came to these Forums, logged in, and I see three cookies just for "here" ... so if you only see one, there's more to the story.

As far as the reporting pages go, there aren't cookies there, unless you check the little box down below the Reporting window (if we're talking about the Paste-it-in-here" box ..?? check that, hit Parse, then repeat on the next spam to toggle the "show technical details" ... SpamCop is unique here in that cookies are only sent if you "ask" for them.

Now, if you're talking about another type of cookie, not sure what to tell you, short of turning off your cookie manager for a bit and see what happens then after logging in. That you say "the next page greets you by name" does suggest that something is on your system that allows some data transfer.

BTW: Safari 1.0.2 on OS X 10.2.8

Went back and logged into "my" report page, forced the cookie setting as I described above, and that got me one cookie showing from www.spamcop.net ...

Steve, the first link you provided seems related to my problem...Instead of seeing a page for a paid account I am getting a page that appears to be for unpaid accounts.

The discussion didn't really help me much, and I think the problem is on the Spamcop end because, like the fellow in the other discussion, I have no problems with other cookie log-in web sites. I should also mention that I am running Mac OS 10.3 and Safari, so we are seeing a problem with two different systems and web browsers.

Unless someone comes up with a way to get things back to the way they were, I will just keep reporting spam as if I don't have a paid account. It isn't worth spending a lot of time trying to find the cause of the glitch, and I am not inclined to log-in every time I need to do a report.

Mac OS 10.3 and Safari

BTW: Safari 1.0.2 on OS X 10.2.8

Not that much different, yet no comments on your incestigation as to why your cookies aren't coming in, staying in place, being supplied. And also noting that links provided in Steven's post also included things I suggested and that that poster resolved that issue ... follwing further links gets back to firewall issues ... not sure what else you may be waiting for someone else to come up with ... do you have any results on investigating your system's configuration?

that that poster resolved that issue ...

Wazoo, I guess that I didn't see anything that I thought pertained to my symptoms. Would you mind pointing out what you think is worth trying from the link(s)? You seem to have seen something I missed. I honestly did not see a connection...

The only recent major change to my system besides upgrading to 10.3.3 is the addition of a new Liniksys router, which replaced an older router.

Like I noted earlier, log-in cookies are working just fine on other web sites. As far as waiting for someone else to come up with something new (or that I missed...) I am content to leave things as they are, since Spamcop seems to be the only web site affected and not being able to log-in does not prevent me from reporting spam. At this point I would only be spinning my wheels and wasting time trying to figure out what is wrong, since I don't have a clue...

the addition of a new Liniksys router

Please check the firmware level of the linksys againt the fixes in the most recent verson.

Last summer I switched from a wired to wireless linksys router and there was a problem fixed in the next rev of dropping packets. It showed up mostly on my machine when I was in chat rooms, it would just stop receivingmessages. Not a guaranteed fix, but something to look at.

ewv - that triggers one of those ancient memories .... there was once some discussion about the actual code on that page being screwed ... due to the lack of comments, one would have thought that this would have been fixed those many moons ago ... I've tried six computers here, but they all login just fine, so haven't quite figured out where this "advanced login" thing is to go look at the code ....

Someone could look at the code to see if there is something inappropriately different for the different time limits, but I don't have access to it. All I can do is report the perceived patterns as I discover them. The same problem occurs for both mozilla and IE. Logins for this forum (or anywhere else) are not a problem.

• 1 month later...

I have tried the various advanced login methods for spam reporting. The one-month option option does not work. I am logged out immediately on closing the browser. All the other options work as expected (except for one-year, which I have not tried out).

note kicked off to Deputies for possible addition to Julian's 'need-to-look-at" list ... again, this is an ancient glitch, maybe it just never made it to the top of the list for getting fixed?

I have tried the various advanced login methods for spam reporting. The one-month option option does not work. I am logged out immediately on closing the browser. All the other options work as expected (except for one-year, which I have not tried out).

Twas a bug -- it's being fixed.

Archived