[Resolved] unknown entries in my address book

Elvis

Hi,

I recently found a bunch of new entries in my address book. There are names associated with a spamcop.net email address which isn't mine, plus a list for people named "Europe Tour". I haven't received (or at least I haven't noticed) any emails reach my Inbox which are clearly personal (non-spam) messages intended for someone else. But I am concerned that if I have access to this other user's address book, do they have access to mine? What happened?

I searched for other posts on this, but couldn't find anything. Also, I'm very new to posts & forums so please be kind if you have suggestions on how to post.

Thanks for any help!

I recently found a bunch of new entries in my address book.

I'm guessing that you're talking about the "Address Book" that's available when you log into your SpamCop email account on the web (aka "webmail" or "Horde"). If that's the case, I just checked both of my accounts and there wasn't anything odd about the address books, nor have I heard of this happening to others. I suppose that either:

a) someone else accessed your account and added those entries, or

B) your account's address book has somehow gotten "cross-wired" with another account

If "b," then you should contact SpamCop Email Support using this form:

http://mail.spamcop.net/contact.php

DT

Yes, exactly, I use the webmail.spamcop.net (should've mentioned that, eh?)

I sent a message on Monday through the contact link you list, but haven't heard back yet. I thought maybe I'm just supposed to be using this forum instead. But maybe they're busy -- I don't imagine this problem ranks as a crisis :-)

I'll try again & give them an alternate email to reply to me.

Thanks for your help David!

Also, I'm very new to posts & forums so please be kind if you have suggestions on how to post.

There is a Forum FAQ available .. links at the top of this very page. There are entries in the How to use .... Forum section. There are thousands of existing Topics/Discussion by others that should offer some clues as to how this Forum gets used, what kind of posts are acceptable, what data should be provided, etc.

Searching for things can be problematic in that each poster uses their own words to describe a problem or an issue. Trying to find that particular matching issue will be hard if you use 'your' words to do the search and 'your' word selection isn't the same as someone else's.

I reported this through the SpamCop Contact Us form several days ago, but have received neither acknowledgment nor response, so I'll ask here.

When in SC webmail, if I click on the Address Book icon, a dropdown list in the upper right shows me a number of address books. Only one of them is mine, several others clearly belong to other users. Some of these are empty, some are not.

This sounds like a security hole to me and I'd like to see it fixed - I wonder if some other SC user can see my address book. How can I get this addressed (if you'll pardon the pun)?

I reported this through the SpamCop Contact Us form several days ago, but have received neither acknowledgment nor response, so I'll ask here.

When in SC webmail, if I click on the Address Book icon, a dropdown list in the upper right shows me a number of address books. Only one of them is mine, several others clearly belong to other users. Some of these are empty, some are not.

Looks like the same or a similar issue reported here... http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8974

Perhaps these two threads should be merged. In the meantime I wonder if one of the moderators can alert JT or trevorb since you've used the standard contact form.

Andrew

Ah...I see them now...my earlier answer was incorrect. Most of the "extra" address book are empty, but the name of one of them is based on a SC email user's address, and there are three people listed in the "Personal" book who probably wouldn't appreciate being in these system-wide address books (two of them are clearly from Australia, BTW).

OK, I'll hit the "Contact" form also, but we should all also be sending emails to <support[at]spamcop.net>.

DT

Here's my guess .... data seen is more than likely some 'default' stuff from the install of the Turba application ... more than likely some generated/populated 'example' folders/data such that there's a 'clue' offered and something to 'play' with ..... I'd even further guess that one item may gave actually been generated by the folks admin'ing the e-mail application. As to the fact that it hadn't been noticed until recently, no way would I try to guess as to why something like this would be tossed inot play without any kind of 'warning' to the affected users (which does appear to be most everyone at present, just not noticed yet by the vast majority) ....

As stated in another Topic, my attempted upstream connections don't really seem to be so magical these days. But yes, another attempt has been made.

Posted on the webmail news page:

Dec 2, 2007

* [15:58 EST] A couple of people had created shared address books in webmail, which were visible to other users. This was confusing to other users and shouldn't have been allowed, so this capability has been disabled. No user's address book was visible, except for those few that had been specifically marked as shared with other users.

Hopefully this means the issue is now resolved :)

Andrew

OK, my guess was wrong, but admitting that it was made while working in a vacuum ... with the additional thought that someone taking the time and expending the effort to check all those boxes was simly to silly to believe possible ... oh well.

Please see a new Announcement at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8991 which does try to pull tings together.

Archived