Palm Imap Sent-mail

I can't get Versamail on my Palm TX to use the sent-mail folder on Spamcop Imap. My outgoing mail goes out ok, but after posting a message to smtp, Versamail complains "Unable to move to IMAP sent folder." The message remains in the Sent Mail folder on the Palm, and does not appear in the Sent-Mail folder on Spamcop. I've checked the settings and my spelling many times. I even deleted the mail account on the Palm and started fresh with a new account, but no luck. Any clues gladly accepted.

I can't get anything but the Inbox to work on Versamail on my Treo, either. Part of the problem seems to be that the SpamCop server isn't announcing anything but the "Inbox" during folder synchronization (I think it's an IMAP "List" command, but don't quote me on that). I tried many different config options/changes, all to no avail. This is a common problem out there, and I think it's more dependent on the host server features and config than on anything we can do with our Versamail settings.

IOW, this is something we'd need to go straight to JT about.

DT

I gave up on Versamail sometime back and invested in the Agendus Mail for Palm software. It was inexpensive and came in a Palm only version (as well as having a version integrated with desktop stuff). It seems to do everything I need and certainly moves sent messages to my sent folder.

Andrew

It seems to do everything I need and certainly moves sent messages to my sent folder.

Just to be clear, you're saying that when you send something using your Palm device, that the sent item not only shows up in the "Sent" folder on the Palm, but also in your actual SpamCop "sent-mail" folder? If so, then the information I provided above is probably incorrect.

DT

I can't get Versamail on my Palm TX to use the sent-mail folder on Spamcop Imap. My outgoing mail goes out ok, but after posting a message to smtp, Versamail complains "Unable to move to IMAP sent folder."

Keying on the words I tagged in red, perhaps my walk-through notes at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=47860 might have some connection ??????

The gist would be that a sent folder needs to be created, so there will be 'matching' folders at both places.

No, I don't think so.

OK, but it still strikes me that both posts pointing to folders at both places/devices include distinctly different folder names, which doesn't quite jive with the 'syncing' nature of an IMAP connection. Again, that different folder names were provided is what I am explicitly keying on. If this isn't actually the case, can I ask for a bit more care in supplying data from the participants?

OK, but it still strikes me that both posts pointing to folders at both places/devices include distinctly different folder names, which doesn't quite jive with the 'syncing' nature of an IMAP connection. Again, that different folder names were provided is what I am explicitly keying on. If this isn't actually the case, can I ask for a bit more care in supplying data from the participants?

Wazoo, I did try creating and renaming folders to get the same names at both end, but that doesn't work either. There is also a specific field in the Palm where I can specify the name of the sent folder on the imap server. It makes no difference what I put in there. In makes no difference if I create a new folder named sent-mail.

In any event, as DavidT notes, the Palm software does not find any folders on the server except Inbox. This is true on both the PDA and the desktop Versamail setup, which has a button to "refresh" the folder list from the server. It comes back with just Inbox. Essentially, their version of the "subscribe" function doesn't work with spamcop imap.

DavidT, thanks much for confirming that it isn't "just me" with the problem.

Wazoo, I did try creating and renaming folders to get the same names at both end, but that doesn't work either. There is also a specific field in the Palm where I can specify the name of the sent folder on the imap server. It makes no difference what I put in there. In makes no difference if I create a new folder named sent-mail.

Thanks for the explicit feedback. Things like this, I can only go with what data is made available. All this Palm talk doesn't do a thing for my Palm VII or (now dead) M-130.

In any event, as DavidT notes, the Palm software does not find any folders on the server except Inbox. This is true on both the PDA and the desktop Versamail setup, which has a button to "refresh" the folder list from the server. It comes back with just Inbox. Essentially, their version of the "subscribe" function doesn't work with spamcop imap.

DavidT, thanks much for confirming that it isn't "just me" with the problem.

And with all that, I am comfortable with running it up to the powers that be., although suspecting that the issue does actually belong to the Horde/IMP developers.

Sorry for the lack of initial detail. I should have made it clear that I was looking for someone who had a Palm TX in hand, and could give me the winning combination, if there is one. The Versamail software is goofy enough that it is hard to diagnose any problem without seeing it.

Sorry for the lack of initial detail. I should have made it clear that I was looking for someone who had a Palm TX in hand, and could give me the winning combination, if there is one. The Versamail software is goofy enough that it is hard to diagnose any problem without seeing it.

No real problem. It was just me wearing that Systems Analyst hat again ... starting with what I did know, adding in the newly provided data, doing a bit more reseach, then mixing all that up to try to come up with a solution. In this case, the different Folder names brought up my iBook/OS-X experience, so that seemed to be a pretty obvious starting point.

To: "JT"

Cc: "trevorb"

Subject: Versamail on Palm - IMAP connection

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:20:07 -0500

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9353

User data, perhaps for some log searching?

BobLLL (IP Address elided)

<e-mail address elided>

Members (6 Posts)

Complaint boils down to an issue with (sub)Folders not being

recognized/advertised in the IMAP handshaking/data transfer between

the user's TX unit and the WebMail/E-Mail application. This

specific complaint starts/deals with the 'saving' of e-mail into a

'sent / sent-mail' folder. Suspect that this is a Versamail issue,

based on a couple of other users also talking about their failed

attempts at getting it to work, one suggesting another application

for the hand-held unit. I don't see anything in the Horde/IMP FAQs.

Wondering if you can see anything at your end.

I just got a Palm with VeraMail for my helpdesk and I see a similar issue with Exchange... it only sees a subset of the folders presented, basically the default ones (Inbox, Sent Items, Trash, etc), no added folders or subfolders. With Exchange, it does replicate the sent messages back to the server but we have it sending out through the Exchange server. When I get the phone back on Wednesday, I can do some additional testing with SpamCop.

It may be worth noting that Versamail comes in several flavors. On my T|X it is 3.1. An upgrade to 3.5 is available for a cost. Version 4.0 is available only for Centro. Treos can have 2.x or 3.x versions. Not all versions will work on all devices.

Also, Google sez there are quite a few issues with Versamail and Imap. Maybe as agsteele suggested, this client isn't worth much bother.

Google sez there are quite a few issues with Versamail and Imap. Maybe as agsteele suggested, this client isn't worth much bother.

I'm not a spokesman for any other product - just happen to use the alternative I mentioned.

However, Versamail is well documented for its inadequacies. Some trivial, eg: Email sent has the sent date incorrectly formatted so many mail readers cannot properly identify the sent date and time. through to the frustrations already mentioned.

I'm very happy with my Palm TX. In fact I recently gained a second from my son for the day when the one I use at present dies. Mobile Email on it is important for me so a working IMAP client is necessary. I'm sure there are others than the one I recommended but I'm content with my $20 investment.

Andrew

The Agendus Mail app did the trick...I was able to go into the IMAP Folder details and associate the sending of items from my Treo with my "sent-mail" folder on SpamCop. I'll be buying the full product, and I'd like to thank Andrew for the tip...it's much better than the default Versamail.

Wazoo, perhaps you can let JT know that the problem is with the Palm software.

DT

Wazoo, perhaps you can let JT know that the problem is with the Palm software.

I thought I did .... my thoughts were wondering if there would be anything in the logs that would identify the bad handshake sequence.

When I get the phone back on Wednesday, I can do some additional testing with SpamCop.

Well, no solid answer, but maybe some more clues.

When I tried adding a folder to the Treo and syncing, I get can not access folder. If I add a folder as Inbox.Folder Name, is does not give the error, but still does not sync the messages.

I remember this being needed when I first setup IMAP years ago, I figure it is still documented somewhere here, but no time to look right now. If Versamail is only doing a list on the main lever, it will not find these lower level ones. Also, case and spaces are important, Inbox.sentmail is not the same as Inbox.Sent Mail.

Similar issue with other Exchange folders, I can add them, but messages do not appear.

Archived