Account Management

I spent about an hour looking for this topic and I can't find specifically what I want to know about.

I got married.

I have a "Family Plan" with Spamcop and originally set up three email addresses.

My original SpamCop.net email address has my birth surname incorporated in it like so: surname[at]spamcop.net.

I want an email address that incorporates my new surname as so: newsurname[at]spamcop.net

I want to keep my old email address for a while, until I can announce to my correspondents that I have a new email address.

According to the original registration process, I was allowed something like six email address to use in the plan I choose.

HOW do I add a NEW Spamcop.net domain email address to my account and HOW do I then delete the old one when I'm ready to make the transition to the new address.

I need to also mention that my present Spamcop.net domain email address is the one I used to set up my account, so would it be necessary to do anything special on my account when I stop using that account and start using my new account?

Sorry to be a dork. I'm disoriented by all the forums so there may be an answer available for ALL of these question somewhere. I just can't find ANY of them.

This really isn't the place for this kind of support. You need to contact the owner/operator of Corporate Email Systems at "support at spamcop dot net."

Anyone who has more than one account for themselves, or for people in their household has a bit of a "family plan," but the difference between that and a single account is that:

Additional accounts for family members residing in the same household, or individuals who need more than one personal account, are half price as long as they are billed and paid for in a single payment.

I've not seen anything about there being any package plans that include six addresses....that sounds much more like what your local broadband operator would be offering.

You need to communicate directly with Support about this....there's nothing we fellow users can do or suggest.

BTW, you might want to have the moderators change your forum ID, in that it apparently compromises your current SpamCop email address.

DT

spamcop.net' post='65500' date='Jul 11 2008, 05:11 PM']I spent about an hour looking for this topic and I can't find specifically what I want to know about.

I have to ask .... was the SpamCop FAQ listed multiple times at the top of this page actually visited at all? The section listed below seems to at least attempt to address some of your questions ...???

SpamCop Email System & Accounts

What is this SpamCop Mail Service?

What is the cost?

How do I sign up?

NEW!How many SpamCop e-mail accounts do I need?

--> One is enough

--> Maybe I need three or more?

How do I sign up for multiple accounts under the family plan?

Discounted Additional Account, more detail

I want to keep my old email address for a while, until I can announce to my correspondents that I have a new email address.

Though I can't speak for JT, this doesn't really seem like a plan ... reason being that the disk space gets allocated for both accounts, so there's the space, overhead, etc. for two accounts but you're only trying to pay for one account. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that JT will try to work with you a bit on this.

According to the original registration process, I was allowed something like six email address to use in the plan I choose.
As stated previously, this does not seem to be anything like the data provided in the various FAQ entries for SpamCop.net e-mail accounts. It is pretty much typical for some cable/DSL accounts.

HOW do I add a NEW Spamcop.net domain email address to my account and HOW do I then delete the old one when I'm ready to make the transition to the new address.

Adding a new address is fairly easy, simply follow the links to setup a new e-mail account. The 'problem' arises when it comes time to actually 'pay' for that account. This is going to take some additional dialog between you and JT. Deleting an account is not something you can do.

I need to also mention that my present Spamcop.net domain email address is the one I used to set up my account, so would it be necessary to do anything special on my account when I stop using that account and start using my new account?

Again, dialog between you and JT will be needed.

Sorry to be a dork. I'm disoriented by all the forums so there may be an answer available for ALL of these question somewhere. I just can't find ANY of them.

This isn't really a topic that fits into the Forum section for problems with a SpamCop.net e-mail account or the sub-Forum section on how to configure a SpamCop.net account. So the only data that does seem applicable would appear to be within the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) listing .... If you have a suggestion or two on just how to make something like this more visible, please make your comments known. You'd have missed using three links at the top of this page, scrolled by Pinned entries within each Forum section and sub-section, so if you didn't take a look at the SpamCop FAQ as found here or attempted to use the Original/Official FAQ on the www.spamcop.net pages, tried the Wiki, well .. I can see a lot of foundering about without finding anything. Yet, I've already been taken to task about making/placing so many links to the FAQ(s) already.

As stated previously, unless you actually want what appears to be a valid e-mail address scraped, it'd be nice if you requested a change before the various search engines archive your posts (probably too late, actually) .... if it's not a valid address, then I'd actually have to demand that you request a change so as to prevent further/future abuse of the SpamCop.net e-mail servers. This particular subject is actually addressed within the Forum FAQ

Unfortunately, the OP hasn't been back since posting. That spamcop.net address is already compromised, in terms of spam harvesting. It shows up on a Dallas / Fort Worth area high school sports site, so has probably already been harvested by spammers.

However, "Mr. Foster," it would be a good idea to send a request to Wazoo to have your forum ID changed ASAP.

DT

...Good suggestion but it isn't the moderators

Right you are...sorry for my misinformation. I've sent a PM to the OP, hoping that might bring them back a bit more quickly. It's really too late, however, in that Google has already slurped up the "address-as-user-name."

BTW, speaking of Moderators, there's a link at the bottom of the Discussion table of contents page:

The moderating team

Clicking on it only brings up Wazoo and not the full team. Hey, Wazoo...is that something you can fix?

DT

BTW, speaking of Moderators, there's a link at the bottom of the Discussion table of contents page:

The moderating team

Clicking on it only brings up Wazoo and not the full team. Hey, Wazoo...is that something you can fix?

Yes, it is something under my control. The last 'fix' was done by request. However, this Forum section would not be the right place for further discussion on that subject.

I have to ask .... was the SpamCop FAQ listed multiple times at the top of this page actually visited at all? The section listed below seems to at least attempt to address some of your questions ...???

SpamCop Email System & Accounts

What is this SpamCop Mail Service?

What is the cost?

How do I sign up?

NEW!How many SpamCop e-mail accounts do I need?

--> One is enough

--> Maybe I need three or more?

How do I sign up for multiple accounts under the family plan?

Discounted Additional Account, more detail

Though I can't speak for JT, this doesn't really seem like a plan ... reason being that the disk space gets allocated for both accounts, so there's the space, overhead, etc. for two accounts but you're only trying to pay for one account. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that JT will try to work with you a bit on this.

As stated previously, this does not seem to be anything like the data provided in the various FAQ entries for SpamCop.net e-mail accounts. It is pretty much typical for some cable/DSL accounts.

Adding a new address is fairly easy, simply follow the links to setup a new e-mail account. The 'problem' arises when it comes time to actually 'pay' for that account. This is going to take some additional dialog between you and JT. Deleting an account is not something you can do.

Again, dialog between you and JT will be needed.

This isn't really a topic that fits into the Forum section for problems with a SpamCop.net e-mail account or the sub-Forum section on how to configure a SpamCop.net account. So the only data that does seem applicable would appear to be within the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) listing .... If you have a suggestion or two on just how to make something like this more visible, please make your comments known. You'd have missed using three links at te top of this page, scrolled by Pinned entries within each Forum section and sub-section, so if you didn't take a look at the SpamCop FAQ as found here or attempted to use the Original/Official FAQ on the www.spamcop.net pages, tried the Wiki, well .. I can see a lot of foundering about without finding anything. Yet, I've already been taken to task about making/placing so many links to the FAQ(s) already.

As stated previously, unless you actually want what appears to be a valid e-mail address scraped, it'd be nice if you requested a change before the various search engines archive your posts (probably too late, actually) .... if it's not a valid address, then I'd actually have to demand that you request a change so as to prevent further/future abuse of the SpamCop.net e-mail servers. This particular subject is actually addressed within the Forum FAQ

Wazoo, I was confused. When I surfed to SpamCop to find answers, it seems every link points to these forums. What the "Help" links seems to suggest is that if you don't read and inquire on the forums for *any* issue, you're wasting the time of administrators at SpamCop. I was leery about writing to SpamCop because the last time I did so, my email bounced back to me undelivered. I was writing about a phishing scam that involved someone using "support" as a From address and the domain was Spamcop.net. I, naturally, didn't respond to it because I recognized it as a phish. But, then, I couldn't figure out how to alert Spamcop about it. When my alerting email bounced back, I was just lost. I couldn't find another email address to write to.

That's why I turned to the forum FAQs. It's not at all apparent to me, a non techie, that these forums NOT for the purpose of managing ones' email accounts. The discussions available approach the issue I had, but they weren't clear. I understand the difference between an email account and a forum subscription, but it looked to me like I was supposed to use the forums to 1) search for an answer to my personal account issue, and 2) if I didn't see my specific issue address I was to post my question on a forum so that other account holders would have the benefit of it, and SpamCop admin wouldn't have to repeat the same instructions to others in individual email messages.

Finally, if I'm to address my issues with "JT", how do I contact JT? See? That's one of the problems. I have actually looked for an email address to, in essence, speak to a live person and I've yet to be able to find such an email address. Seem like as I approach some area of the web site that approximates a "Contact Us" area, it immediately refers me to a forum, cautioning me to "use the FAQs" first, as if there is no possible way to write to an individual at SpamCop.

It's a long frustration of mine. I'm profoundly deaf and in most of my interactions, I am forced to email people to get an issue resolved. But, that a company like Apple, for example. There is practically NO way to send them an email message and get an answer. You can't contact them and have a conversation via email. The force you to call on the telephone. Well, for me that means I have to depend on another person who can hear. I often have wait several days to get someone on MY schedule assist me with calling. I'd say that it would be helpful if SpamCop had a **prominent** means of communicating directly with them via email. I tend to get brushed off on this suggestion. If an email avenue was opened for a deaf person to communicate with a company, companies tend to think they would open the door to a great many people emailing them without sufficient personnel to handle the correspondence. That sounds like a legitimate reason to channel communications to the place where personnel are already in place. But it still, and forever, leave me with no way to contact the company without the assistance of another person - a person I have to either inconvenience or HIRE to assist me.

So, how do I contact JT?

spamcop.net' post='65520' date='Jul 12 2008, 10:44 AM']So, how do I contact JT?

I gave you that information in my earlier response, above, and I quote:

You need to contact the owner/operator of Corporate Email Systems at "support at spamcop dot net."

I also sent it to you in a private message, that should have reached you via email.

Wazoo, can you perhaps send this person the information again via email, in case they're somehow ignoring my posts?

DT

...Wazoo, can you perhaps send this person the information again via email, in case they're somehow ignoring my posts? ...
As far as I am concerned David, any newcomer choosing to ignore your offered assistance can just manage without a second-hand / second-chance offering of it, period. But I shouldn't think it is actually the case - merely overlooked since an email address in these forums doesn't look like an email address to the uninitiated.

Now if it was an old hand ignoring you ... :P just kidding, your frequent assistance to those in need is concise, knowledgeable and much appreciated.

I gave you that information in my earlier response, above, and I quote:

I also sent it to you in a private message, that should have reached you via email.

Wazoo, can you perhaps send this person the information again via email, in case they're somehow ignoring my posts?

Logs say that the e-mail notification of the PM was sent. Database says that the PM was read. More than your posts possibly being ignored. No response at all about the suggested name change request.

spamcop.net' date='Jul 12 2008, 12:44 PM' post='65520']When I surfed to SpamCop to find answers, it seems every link points to these forums.

Not sure I can grok that as the total picture, actually.

What the "Help" links seems to suggest is that if you don't read and inquire on the forums for *any* issue, you're wasting the time of administrators at SpamCop.

Specifics please. The general concept is that the Forum has many eyes, many folks willing to help out. Going the Official route means trying to get the attention of three people that try to handle a self-admitted volume of something to the tune of 800-1800 e-mails a day. In the case of JT and the e-mail system, I know for a fact that he is also quite overloaded with incoming e-mail, unfortunately, a lot of that should have been directed to one of the three responsible for the Parsing & Reporting system. I simply don't have a clue where you might have come up with the "wasting their time" concept, other than the suggestions/instructions to provide all data necessary in the first attempted contact.

I was leery about writing to SpamCop because the last time I did so, my email bounced back to me undelivered. I was writing about a phishing scam that involved someone using "support" as a From address and the domain was Spamcop.net. I, naturally, didn't respond to it because I recognized it as a phish. But, then, I couldn't figure out how to alert Spamcop about it. When my alerting email bounced back, I was just lost. I couldn't find another email address to write to.

Not enough specific data to try to diagnose what may have gone wrong. On the other hand, those phish e-mails would assumedly be the same ones addressed within the various Announcements provided on numerous pages across the whole of the SpamCop.net system.

That's why I turned to the forum FAQs.

Note: The Forum FAQ is a specific 'document' ....

It's not at all apparent to me, a non techie, that these forums NOT for the purpose of managing ones' email accounts. The discussions available approach the issue I had, but they weren't clear. I understand the difference between an email account and a forum subscription, but it looked to me like I was supposed to use the forums to 1) search for an answer to my personal account issue, and 2) if I didn't see my specific issue address I was to post my question on a forum so that other account holders would have the benefit of it, and SpamCop admin wouldn't have to repeat the same instructions to others in individual email messages.

The person using the display name of SpamCopAdmin seems to enjoy responding to e-mail, answering the same questions over and over and over and over. My concept is to provide a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) list, such that the same data doesn't have to be typed in here over and over and over.

Finally, if I'm to address my issues with "JT", how do I contact JT? See? That's one of the problems. I have actually looked for an email address to, in essence, speak to a live person and I've yet to be able to find such an email address. Seem like as I approach some area of the web site that approximates a "Contact Us" area, it immediately refers me to a forum, cautioning me to "use the FAQs" first, as if there is no possible way to write to an individual at SpamCop.

Actually, I'm thinking of only a single page that comes close to your description. However, here I go, ...

SpamCop FAQ 'here' lists How can I contact a SpamCop representative? .... However, this is part of the Official/Original FAQ whhich has been complained about for years. There is an "e-mail service support" link on that page which directs you to the page I believe you are talinking about in the above .... however, I will also note the Official/Original FAQ status is also involved on that page.

The SpamCop Wiki includes the page Where to get Help

The Home page for the e-mail system offers the link to a web-form contact point at Contact Us

Following the red-lettered ------>------> Latest and Current Announcements <------<------ item at the top of the Forum 'front' page, one finds the links entitled How to find what you are looking for without pulling your hair out in the process. and Not finding the Help you need?

Short (?) list of a few places the data you say you can't find exists. I really don't want to calculate just how many times the same data exists within other Topics and Posts, unfortunately, to include this Topic/Discussion.

I'd say that it would be helpful if SpamCop had a **prominent** means of communicating directly with them via email. I tend to get brushed off on this suggestion.

You say you need it "prominent" .... I'm saying it's plastered all over the place. As stated a few times already, it was provided to you directly within this Topic and David's PM. Quite a difference of opinion going on, I'd say.

If an email avenue was opened for a deaf person to communicate with a company, companies tend to think they would open the door to a great many people emailing them without sufficient personnel to handle the correspondence. That sounds like a legitimate reason to channel communications to the place where personnel are already in place.

And again, there are numerous folks available here, over in the newsgroups that are willing to try to help. However, you chose to ask a question that you don't feel is yet answered within the FAQs that I/we have generated, no one else has either asked or bother to come back and supply an answer that you felt you could understand .... thus, there is no option other than to point you to the person that owns, runs, and maintains the SpamCop.net e-mail system.

So, how do I contact JT?

Provided several times prior to this reply, your post asking for it again, and the various links and FAQs that have been around for a few years ... not ignoring that David also provided it to you in his PM that you have apparently not answered.

As noted in another post, you have yet to say anything about the suggested name change request .. yet much time has gone by ....

Archived