I wanted to have both mxdrop25.xs4all.nl and zhaum.xs4all.nl configured as mailhost.

This was not a problem. It works.

But there would have been a problem had I wanted to configure just one of them and not the other.

SpamCop seems to see them as the same mailhost.

Is this correct? I would have expected them to be two different mailhosts?

hotmail.com' post='66902' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:37 AM']Is this correct? I would have expected them to be two different mailhosts?

It is likely they use the alternate name as backup so yes it is fine. In fact all xs4all.nl servers SHOULD be sharing the same configuration.

It is likely they use the alternate name as backup so yes it is fine. In fact all xs4all.nl servers SHOULD be sharing the same configuration.

It is extremely unlikely that XS4ALL uses my personal laptop, zhaum.xs4all.nl, as a backup for their mailhost without me knowing that :-)

Part of the fun of being an XS4ALL user is that you can have your own hostname.

I wanted to have both mxdrop25.xs4all.nl and zhaum.xs4all.nl configured as mailhost. <snip> I would have expected them to be two different mailhosts?

AFIK, mailhosts are different from hostnames. Your hostname could be [company_name.org] and be nowhere close to the same as the mailhost [mxdrop25.xs4all.nl]. Hostnames are registered and can be searched in a whois database, etc. Mailhosts are also listed but are more or less defined to be any name that the email server may use.

For example, I registered a Comcast.net account and it lists no less than 95 mailhosts (and 95 relaying IPs). I only listed a single email address but it found all of those automatically. Now if I report anything from that Comcast.net account it can make sure it is not spam when any of those 95 hosts are matched in the header. Email with HostGator shows about 35 mailhosts. Yahoo is insane - it has about 2,000 mailhosts.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

hotmail.com' post='66904' date='Sep 18 2008, 12:50 PM']Part of the fun of being an XS4ALL user is that you can have your own hostname.

OK. You did not indicate that XS4ALL was a virtual domain name provider. I also have a virtual domain name, but do not use it for email so it does not need to be mailhosted for my configuration.

Either way, there would be way too many configurations if each individual host was separate and it would be way too affected by network changes to be useful. included in all mailhost configurations for y.xs4all.nl is xs4all.nl ans x.xs4all.nl for all values of x (that have been configured for mailhosts). In a normal network configruration, that is a good thing. If ISPA changes server names, the configuration still works just fine.

Having those servers listed in your configuration will not influence the reporting if any of those other hosts is the actual source of the spam.

hotmail.com' post='66902' date='Sep 18 2008, 06:37 AM']I wanted to have both mxdrop25.xs4all.nl and zhaum.xs4all.nl configured as mailhost.

This was not a problem. It works.

In addition to leaving out some essential data, is it possible you also included a typo? I'm really not finding a match for anything on the mxdrop25 address/Domain.

In addition to leaving out some essential data, is it possible you also included a typo? I'm really not finding a match for anything on the mxdrop25 address/Domain.

Yes, that is possible, I do not have an official typing diplom, qua typing I am just a layman.

Here is a screenshot, so you can type it over errorless yourself!

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ctjacobs/Schermafdruk.png

Moderator edit: removed image tags

hotmail.com' post='66909' date='Sep 18 2008, 02:34 PM']Here is a screenshot, so you can type it over errorless yourself!

Unreal. The Forum FAQ here has an entry, the Announcements Forum section has another entry dealing with the exposure/use of an e-mail address for a 'display' name within this Forum. But then you toss up an unedited graphic image that displays yet another (assumed to be a) valid e-mail address. There is only so much I can do to try to help you protect yourself.

Unreal. The Forum FAQ here has an entry, the Announcements Forum section has another entry dealing with the exposure/use of an e-mail address for a 'display' name within this Forum. But then you toss up an unedited graphic image that displays yet another (assumed to be a) valid e-mail address. There is only so much I can do to try to help you protect yourself.

The email address of the owner of the webpage with this image:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ctjacobs/Schermafdruk.png

is: xxxxxxxxx[at]xxxxx.xxx

On the other hand there is not the slightest doubt about what the purpose of this post by Wazoo is.

It is a lame attempt to find the identity of Knygathin!

OK, this is the 3rd ID coming from: 80.101.138.46

chrisjqb[at]hotmail.com

Knygathin

etaoin

If this is all the same person, the fact you broke the rules by opening multiple accounts is likely to get all those accounts terminated and posting from that IP address blocked.

OK, this is the 3rd ID coming from: 80.101.138.46

chrisjqb[at]hotmail.com

Knygathin

etaoin

If this is all the same person, the fact you broke the rules by opening multiple accounts is likely to get all those accounts terminated and posting from that IP address blocked.

Where exactly in the rules are multiple accounts forbidden?

{quote}

Forum Terms & Rules

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below.

If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration,

simply click the "Register" button below.

To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted.

We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message,

and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message,

not necessarily the views of this bulletin board.

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email.

We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so,

within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service,

that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory,

inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening,

invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

{/quote}

That is not the rules, that is just a post on the forum.

The rules say:

{quote}

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted.

We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message,

and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

{/quote}

Archived