So Who Runs Spamcop Email?

ViRGE

Breaking this off from another thread

It's not clear to me that there's any direct financial or technical relationship between the owners of "SpamCop" and CES (the email service), so I doubt this is an option.

DT

It's been my understanding that Spamcop's paid email service (CES) was a side project that was always run by the same people who run the Spamcop DNSBL, be it Julian, Ironport, or Cisco. Is this not the case? And if not, why is someone besides Spamcop running it and who exactly are they?

It's been my understanding that Spamcop's paid email service (CES) was a side project that was always run by the same people who run the Spamcop DNSBL, be it Julian, Ironport, or Cisco. Is this not the case?

No, I don't think that's ever been the case. AFAIK, the person who has always run the paid email service is Jeff Tucker (known here as "JT") who owns/operates "Corporate Email Services." He's based out of Georgia, while the other SpamCop services are in California.

DT

No, I don't think that's ever been the case. AFAIK, the person who has always run the paid email service is Jeff Tucker (known here as "JT") who owns/operates "Corporate Email Services." He's based out of Georgia, while the other SpamCop services are in California.

DT

Don't remember where the servers are or if they are still there?

SpamCop was going broke and needed urgent cash.

JT bought the SpamCop email service (made it heaps better)

Part of your $30 annual goes for SpamCop reporting.

To restore any back-up of ones email I think will put us off line again for some time?

Don't affect me because I save my email to a USB drive by popping (not IMAP).

The split ownership is what makes this forum possible (hosted and paid for by "the email side", run by volunteers) - also the newsgroup which the forum was supposed to replace but lingers on yet. Scant consolation in the present circumstance perhaps but the dynamic of the hybrid entity places inevitable constraints on both sides. I'm sure they (each) constantly review the viability but "we" (or I) don't know the contractual arrangements.

Archived